DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Legend
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why is everyone so optomistic that D* can fix the HR20? Go read the R15 board. Just remeber they have been trying for a year and can't get it right. And it doesn't even have OTA to worry about.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
HR20 != R15... different engines, different products.

·
Legend
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
But same company and very similar problems--DVRs that don't record what you ask. My point is if they can't fix the first one in a year, what makes us think they can fix the latest one? They obviously don't have a clue how to make DVRs work. Just look at the design defects that will still exist even if they fix the bugs sometime. Like a guide that is not cached, or two tuners without dual buffers. They just don't get it.

·
Godfather
323 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
You mean that D* doesn't take any "lessons learned" from the R15 and apply them to the HR20? My companies' customer would flog us to no end if we didn't apply lessons learned on previous projects to our new software products. Not trying to be difficult, but if D* can't produce reliable software on the R15 after a year, why should anyone believe that they can with the HR20?

·
Cool Member
28 Posts
JBernardK said:
But same company and very similar problems--DVRs that don't record what you ask. My point is if they can't fix the first one in a year, what makes us think they can fix the latest one? They obviously don't have a clue how to make DVRs work. Just look at the design defects that will still exist even if they fix the bugs sometime. Like a guide that is not cached, or two tuners without dual buffers. They just don't get it.
Not just unique to D*'s DVRs--the H20's scheduling SW is a piece of s*** as was the H10--(and yes this is relevant to the HR20 since we're talking about D*'s SW across their product lines). The H20 consistently misses scheduled events, doesn't tune correctly to the programmed channel, requires a 1-day offset in the programmed day if the scheduled event is past a certain time during the day, sometimes requires a 1-hour offset to tune at the required time (somewhat random), etc. The H10 had similar (but slightly different) bugs in it's scheduling functions. I don't know if they were ever corrected on the H10, but they have not so far on the H20. I would guess that at the SW module level, quite a bit of code gets shared across D*'s different products. What is striking about the H20s' scheduling bugs is their seeming randomness.

In any case, comparing HW/SW robustness, I have had (or still have) a Panasonic Showstopper, TIVO Series I and II, D*Tivo (SD), HR10-250, BeyondTV Ver. 4.x on a self-built media PC with 3 ATSC tuners recording to a 500GB Raid array, and of course D* Tuners back to the RCA/Hughes era as well as the H10 and H20. Out of all of these boxes, SW applications, HW configurations, etc. only 2 of them have consistently had problems with the basic functions of tuning to a channel on a given day at a given time--the H10 and H20--so, I'm not surprised at what I read in this forum about the HR20. I'll get an HR20 as soon as I can, but my experience with D* developed products suggests that they have some real problems with SW integrity that appear to be beyond what they can address. Scheduling algorithms are just not that difficult to implement properly and the H10 and H20 are 2 good examples of where they've had difficulty with the basics.

·
Godfather
430 Posts
My Hr10 has never missed a recording PERIOD!!! The only problems I've had is with it's weak OTA tuner. I have a R15 and it's the worst product ever!! I'm not kidding when I say the thing kept changing to Spanish on me. I finally deactivated it and now have it sitting in my closet. Even now I'm not sure if I should replace my systems when locals are turned on here with the HR20 or simply move to cable and the series 3.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.