DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
DBSTalk Club Member
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didnt even realize you could "join" as a member fo a mere $15. I just did in honor of Santa. I didnt even do the download, OTA not a priority yet, but what a way to show homage to Earl and his efforts!!!!!

Jack

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Okay...

I thank you all for your appriciate..
And getting the word out about the opportunity to join the DBS Forum Club...

But the "Santa" gift was not a fund-raiser for the site..

So please...
If you are intrested, do join.

If not... we won't hold it against ya...

·
DBSTalk Club Member
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
Okay...

So please...

Let me be clear, you did nothing to solicit...but i have a law degree and a medical degree and have never seen anyplace before today where you could join: so there is nothing wrong in honor of your efforts others be awaken to this....

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
Agreed. As I posted last night (during Santa's download), I was never ever solicited in any way to join until Earl made one tiny (and deserved) mention of it. You're right - there's nothing wrong with honoring efforts and if joining is the way to do that, everyone should do it.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
jheda said:
Let me be clear, you did nothing to solicit...but i have a law degree and a medical degree and have never seen anyplace before today where you could join: so there is nothing wrong in honor of your efforts others be awaken to this....
Earl-

I agree with jheda. There is nothing wrong with promoting yourself. Whether you do it because you love it, or because of some other unmentioned benefit, the fact that you are sharing your insider knowledge with us, and going to bat for us is worth something to many. And with the amount of "work" you put into this site, there is no reason you shouldn't expect some kind of kickback - monetary or otherwise.

My point- I hope that Earl is getting some kind of *benefit* from these donations.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
jaywdetroit said:
My point- I hope that Earl is getting some kind of *benefit* from these donations.
I benefit in very different way from all of this... not $$ or material objects.
This year has pretty much been the worst year of my life (overall), and I can't wait to turn the page on January 1st, and forget 2006 ever happened...

But there have been some great bright spots; This forum is one of them.
So, your PM's and your messages honestly do mean a lot to me...

·
Godfather
420 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Okay...

So please...

I've been on this forum since September, and became a member shortly therafter. I have never seen any modererator badger, solicit, or even hint at anyone becoming a member.

I think the OTA gift from Santa made a lot of people realize the great benefit that can be had from visiting these forums. That coupled with some awareness about donating created a nice little grass roots movement boosting membership. That's pretty neat I think, and the moderaters should do nothing to curtail it. So come on people, if you visit these forums even a little bit, BECOME A MEMBER.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Start on page nine of this thread to have the background of how this got started.
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=72983

I don't mean to speak for Earl.
This is not what the membership to DBStalk is about. Earl, wasn't promoting himself. This is about contributing to DBStalk and allowing the owners to use funds to say add a new server, upgrade a circuit, or whatever business needs they see fit.
If Earl or the other mods wanted money (personally), they wouldn't be doing this. They wouldn't make enough.;)

Edit: removed a members name, didn't want to offend.:)

Edit #2: Damn, to late.

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
Well you deserve them, and if there's anything we can do individually or as a group, don't hesitate to ask. And here's to a New Year for Earl. Cheers. :goodjob:

·
DBSTalk Club Member
1,135 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
This year has pretty much been the worst year of my life (overall), and I can't wait to turn the page on January 1st, and forget 2006 ever happened...

:wipes eyes:

:hurah:

·
DBSTalk Club Member
105 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

Wow, it must have been a bad year if listening to people(um...like me) complaining about dual buffers is a bright spot. :lol:

keep up the good work, we do appreciate the work you do here.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
HDTVsportsfan said:
Jay...With respect. NO NO NO....

Start on page nine of this thread to have the background of how this got started.

This is not what the membership to DBStalk is about. Earl, wasn't promoting himself. This is about contributing to DBStalk and allowing the owners to use funds to say add a new server, upgrade a circuit, or whatever business needs they see fit.
If Earl or the other mods wanted money (personally), they wouldn't be doing this. They wouldn't make enough.;)
I also want to make it clear...

I am not upset about these threads... not the least bit......

·
DBSTalk Club Member
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:goodjob:

Cheers to the Earl meister for a good 2007

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
HDTVsportsfan said:
Jay...With respect. NO NO NO....

I understand the point of membership. And I don't doubt that membership monies will go toward bettering the service. However, my payment went to Bott.com, and I am hoping that those responsible for taking payments over there, recognize WHY they are receiving so many donations. And act accordingly. It is Christmas after all. ;)

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
jaywdetroit said:
I understand the point of membership. And I don't doubt that membership monies will go toward bettering the service. However, my payment went to Bott.com, and I am hoping that those responsible for taking payments over there, recognize WHY they are receiving so many donations. And act accordingly. It is Christmas after all. ;)
He does...

·
Administrator
17,324 Posts
You guys have discovered the true goal of this forum and all of the AVS family of forums. People helping people. We also try our best to avoid self promotion or gimmicks. We just want to provide you with the best place for talking DBS. The more energy we put into that, the better for all.

Oh, and as Earl said, the owner is VERY aware of what is happening. :)

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
jclark said:
Wow, it must have been a bad year if listening to people(um...like me) complaining about dual buffers is a bright spot. :lol:
Yes, it was that bad of a year....

But enough about me...

Get back to playing with OTA and ViiV... and reporting success and issues about 0x108.... So the HR20 can get to the next level....

·
Godfather
271 Posts
Earl,

You do, great work ! I just was at the DBSTALK index page and the people who are viewing the DTV HR-20 Forum is like 800 viewing HR-20 to viewing 200 Dish General! That says alot about your and the other moderators here!

This is the HOT TOPIC!

Check it out: http://www.dbstalk.com/index.php

thank you Santa....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.