DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Legend
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If Dish offered another a-la-carte option where you could pick any 5 non-premium channels for $20, would you do it and what would your channels be? Obviously for some this would be a terrible value, but for others like me it would be a terrific value, since I only care about roughly 5 channels.

My channels would be:
1. Comedy Central
2. AMC
3. IFC
4. BBC America
5. TCM (or BBC World if it became available)

...Sean.

· Godfather
421 Posts
Well they do have a $25 package with more channels and their HD only Dish America package is only $35. So I see no need for a 5 channel $20 package.

But my list would be:

syfy
travel
usa
history
discovery

· Legend
167 Posts
I'm getting the BBMP for $10. So a 5 channel for $20 plan isn't very tempting to me. A 5 for $5 or $7 plan would probably be better. Hell, you can move up a whole tier in the "America's Best" plans for $10 and get around 40 extra channels! Although if I could get BBCA in a 5 for $5 plan, I would drop down from my Top 200 plan to the Top 120 plan.

· Legend
167 Posts
boba said:
I'll take the Welcome Pak for $14.99 including locals.
jscudder said:
So would I if it was available in HD.
A $19.99 Welcome Pack package in HD (instead of $14.99 for sd) combined with a 5 for $5 package and BBMP for $10 along with my 722K dvr for $6 would be perfect for my wife and I! A drop from $75.99 to $40.99 would be very nice (probably not so nice for Dish though).

· Godfather/Supporter
2,029 Posts
Not worth the time and effort. Not even sure $5 per would cover it. Everyone who keeps talking about A La Carte not only sometimes fail to realize packaging drastically reduces per channel cost, but the provider has to sell a certain amount to a subscriber for it to be profitable. If Dish picks the channels and charges a price, those channels are in there for a reason. The channel will allow itself to be placed there, and the cost to Dish is within some profit margin.

If you pick the channels, the profit may not be worth it to Dish for you to be a subscriber. That is what happened when Dish included locals into all the packages. It was not worth it to Dish anymore to offer just the locals. And the Welcome package was not enough revenue to make it worth it. But add the locals to the package, and the revenue is enough to keep the customer, with the channels Dish has chosen.
So all the talk of picking your five or whatever channels really is a moot point. You would have to know even if the channels would allow it, it would be a profit for it to be done. Factoring in all the costs to dish to acquire and maintain a subscriber, there is not alot of room for making up lists of channels at a cost less than what is already being paid. I would say Dish is addressing this issue, by having more and smaller packages, that they control the channel content so it remains profitable.

· Know Nothing
6,269 Posts
5 Channels, $20? $4/ea? Not happening.

20 channels, $20? Maybe if I could pick the channels with no restrictions.

· Hall Of Fame
6,220 Posts
Stalky14 said:
If Dish offered another a-la-carte option where you could pick any 5 non-premium channels for $20, would you do it and what would your channels be? Obviously for some this would be a terrible value, but for others like me it would be a terrific value, since I only care about roughly 5 channels.

My channels would be:
1. Comedy Central
2. AMC
3. IFC
4. BBC America
5. TCM (or BBC World if it became available)

...Sean.
Ala Carte will never happen. The powers that be won't let that happen. So forget about it!

· AllStar
94 Posts
$20 is a bit steep so probably not but if I did my channels would be:

ESPN
ESPN2
Fox Sports Detroit
Big Ten Network
History Channel

If Locals were part of the mix I'd have to have CBS and FOX somehow.

I like my Tigers, Red Wings, Lions, Pistons (not lately) and Spartans.

If I could pick 15 - 20 channels for a reasonable charge that is all I would need.

· Legend
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
First off, the 5 for $20 as opposed to say, 10 for 10 or 10 for 15 (like the original DishPix) was intended to address overhead costs and variability in the costs of each channel. Some people's selections might not be as profitable as others, but it would average out.

Of course accountants who care about x profit per customer and ARPU would hate this, but then it's not something I think the majority of customers would go for. But the customers that do go for it would be loyal and appreciative as hell.

People who are against ALC packages tend to argue as if they would replace tiered packages entirely; like you can't have one with the other. I believe both arrangements can coexist and be profitable for the provider as long is the pricing is set properly.

Anyway this was just a fun exercise to see "If you had to pick only 5 channels, what would they be?". I don't actually expect it to come to pass. Not anytime soon, anyway. I do wish they would offer individual channels for sale on top of some minimum package (Welcome?) to cover overhead, if the channel was cool with it.

FWIW, I had canceled entirely for 9 months for financial reasons but came back recently because of Welcome Pack. I miss IFC and BBCA, but they aren't worth bumping all the way up to AT200 at 4x the price for. I can get the few programs I watch there online eventually anyway.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.