DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Advanced Support rep I was speaking to at DirecTV asked to make sure to tell anyone on the forum to make sure that they do call D* and tell them about their problems with the HR20.

My frustration with the HR20 exceeded my painful history of calling D* CSRs. I decided that needed to suck it up and log my issues with them so I could create a documented history with them so I had a case if I decided I wanted to drop D* and return the HR20.

I called the main number, talked to a CSR, explained the issues quickly then asked to be transferred to advanced support. I covered this issues I have had under 0xef he confirmed that these are all known issues. After he logged my issues, he informed me that they are required on all HR20 calls to make sure they get documented and sent to the development group.

FYI Both Advanced and Retention both made statements about having a lot of problems with the software in the HR20

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
btmoore said:
up.

FYI Both Advanced and Retention both made statements about having a lot of problems with the software in the HR20
At least they got that part right!:lol:

·
AllStar
60 Posts
I talked to an advanced tech on Friday about the "searching for authorized content" message I got and while he had no clue about this issue he was quick to state that calling the HR-20 buggy and problematic was the understatement of the year.

·
Mentor
38 Posts
I think the problem is that nobody really wants to take the time to explain a bug repeatedly. You say one thing, CSRs explain it differently in the ticket. It is a shame that D* wouldn't *officially* use this forum (or one of their own) to get feedback directly from the customers.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Garand762 said:
I talked to an advanced tech on Friday about the "searching for authorized content" message I got and while he had no clue about this issue he was quick to state that calling the HR-20 buggy and problematic was the understatement of the year.
I don't know if this helps, but the "searching for authorized content" message is when the HR20 has recorded something that either you don't subscribe to or it thinks you don't subscribe to. It shouldn't happen on something you have purchased the rights to see.

·
AllStar
60 Posts
It was a PPV movig that I got a month ago and have watched a couple of times with no problem then all of the sudden this started to happen.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tejohnson said:
I think the problem is that nobody really wants to take the time to explain a bug repeatedly. You say one thing, CSRs explain it differently in the ticket. It is a shame that D* wouldn't *officially* use this forum (or one of their own) to get feedback directly from the customers.
I think that might be better with the Advanced Support guys. When you get on with tier 1, try as quickly as possible to get the advanced support. I know what you are saying, in the years I have been with D* I have had my issues with their CSRs, I went through a lot of pain with the original Sony Sat-HD100 and that box had an issues where it would loose sync with the signal on the hour and if I recall correctly half hours so you would get dropouts. I don't know how many times the CSRs insisted I unplug the box for a few minutes and/or that I take out and reinsert my access card, I am surprised I didn't ware out the slot. Eventually the guys at Advanced Support got Sony (thats right Sony) to send me a check for the $700 I spent on that box.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,448 Posts
I agree about calling D* I can't tell you the times I have called D* about the R 15 and now the HR 20 as well (especially since my HR 20 has become totally unreliable with version EF) and been told by advanced tech support that I was the "only one" reporting that issue and it's not been documented when I have seen the same issue reported numerous times on this forum. That helps me keep what little sanity I have remaining. Knowing I'm not the only one having the issues. Another tech support person said they wished more people would call and report issues with the DVR's because that's the way D* finds out what's going on. They said that we, the customers are D*'s "eyes and ears" and I agree. So props to the original poster. If your DVR is having problems by all means call. BTW I too totally dread calling D* and having to repeat myself numerous times and seeing the problems remain unresolved on and on, but still I think they need to hear from us.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
-) You are not the "only one".... how ever you may be the only one that, "that" particular rep has talked to.

Seriously... do you think DirecTV takes the calls and just "throws" them out.

DirecTV KNOWS about the issues in the box, and they are trying to fix them.
If you think they are doing anything otherwise....

And you are right... they need to here and see the feedback...
But I can promise you, with 100% confidence.... they see your threads here, they know of the problems.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,448 Posts
I do agree with your first point. And I hear what you say, I'm just looking at it from the point of view that I have struggled to get at least one working DVR since spring of this year, it's now fall, that's a long time. I've done everything reasonably possible to make sure the problem is not at this end, various techs have been out checking all cabling between the dish and DVR, a new dish was put in, checked and I even had an electrician come out and put in a dedicated circuit to both DVR's I even had them back out to check things again later on, so I feel I've been doing my part, not to mention being very patient, explaining issues repeatedly with D*, doing everything tech support has asked of me. Believe it or not in the beginning I had great faith that Directv not only knew of the problems their DVR's were having but I would have bet that they were working dilligently to resolve them. I'd have praised D to anyone listening I've always been a cheerleader for D* because ever since I first got D I thought they were the best thing out there. Truly.

But you have to understand, my faith in their ability to resolve issues especially in a timely manner has been greatly shaken if not almost destroyed. If they get these DVR's (the R 15 and the HR 20) working by which I mean you set up to record a show, it records and plays back and lock ups/freezing are kept to a minimum, say no more then once a month maximum (which considering my 2 stand alone TiVos didn't lock up as much in five years as the R 15 did in the first month, I feel I'm being generous to say once a month is acceptable but I'm trying to be fair here). I'm sure that D* is working on the issues and I am glad to know they monitor the forum and take these issues seriously. My concern is why is it taking so long with both DVR's to get either working on a regular basis. I realize they haven't had much time with the HR 20 so I can try and be more patient, but with the R 15? Come on, they've had plenty of time.

I'd much rather be positive about things then negative, but I can only go by my experiences. All the stress with trying to get a working DVR at least one, has negatively impacted my health (I have a condition worsened by stress) I'm just worn out. I have no interest in ditching D* I still like Directv I just want a working DVR. I don't think that's asking too much. If this seems argumentitive I don't mean it that way it's simply frustration showing.

***Just found and read the thread about stability and autorecords, it has given me the first hope I've had since last Thu. Thanks Earl, and I apologize if I sounded defensive on this post again I'm just exhausted with the whole DVR issue. No offense meant toward you.

·
Banned
614 Posts
We shouldn't assume all the tech reps are incompetent, or will not try to troubleshoot the network. Self-defeating prophecy is not the way to go.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
MercurialIN said:
***Just found and read the thread about stability and autorecords, it has given me the first hope I've had since last Thu. Thanks Earl, and I apologize if I sounded defensive on this post again I'm just exhausted with the whole DVR issue. No offense meant toward you.
I have long since stop taking offense to most of the stuff here in the forums.
Unless they are specifically directly at me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.