DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mentor
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if I'm asking questions that have been answered a number of times. I've done a lot of lurking around this forum trying to get all my questions answered, and I'm worried I'm missing some important pieces. Because of that, I thought I would start a new thread and get as much help as possible.

I live in Sacramento and I'm about to make the jump from my SD DirecTivo to the HR20. I have little to no idea what I'm doing, what I need, or what it takes to get started. I've read about OTA, new dishes, extra antennas, lack of dual buffers (sad), extra lines being run, etc.

I realize I need the HR20 (found some at a local BB). I understand that with the new MPEG-4 I will need a new 5 LMB dish. After that, I'm pretty much lost.

I need help. Feel free to point me in a newb direction, speak to me like I'm 2 years old. Anything to understand what it takes to get everything setup, enjoy the new TV that's being delivered (Sony 60" SXRD XBR2) and record whatever wonderful programming HD currently has to offer (local and otherwise).

I thank you all for your patience with me, and I apologize for my lack of knowledge.

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi...you're my only hope.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
I would agree with Matto...

Take a look at our "big" sister site, www.avsforum.com
You should be able to find out WAY more then you ever thought you wanted to know.

·
Legend
101 Posts
Wolo said:
I apologize if I'm asking questions that have been answered a number of times. I've done a lot of lurking around this forum trying to get all my questions answered, and I'm worried I'm missing some important pieces. Because of that, I thought I would start a new thread and get as much help as possible.

I live in Sacramento and I'm about to make the jump from my SD DirecTivo to the HR20. I have little to no idea what I'm doing, what I need, or what it takes to get started. I've read about OTA, new dishes, extra antennas, lack of dual buffers (sad), extra lines being run, etc.

I realize I need the HR20 (found some at a local BB). I understand that with the new MPEG-4 I will need a new 5 LMB dish. After that, I'm pretty much lost.

I need help. Feel free to point me in a newb direction, speak to me like I'm 2 years old. Anything to understand what it takes to get everything setup, enjoy the new TV that's being delivered (Sony 60" SXRD XBR2) and record whatever wonderful programming HD currently has to offer (local and otherwise).

I thank you all for your patience with me, and I apologize for my lack of knowledge.

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi...you're my only hope.
Follow the advice of the previous posters. However, in a nutshell:

You need the new at-9 (5 LNB) dish. This dish is big, and difficult to point properly. It's not impossible if you have a decent signal meter, and have peaked some dishes before. If you're that green... have an installer do it.

You also need the receiver and TWO RG-6 (coax) feeds from the big dish. You also need to pay dave for the HD package. :grin:

Once you have the above, follow the instructions included with the receiver, activate it and you're done.

It's really not that tough.

Good luck.

--Mike

·
Mentor
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^ I'm not completely clueless...just in the realm of HD. I've got the surround sound setup in a place that I'm fairly happy.

Although...I have been looking at new receivers... :)

·
Banned
1,614 Posts
The dish isn't very difficult to point properly if you have any experience with setting up dishes in the past. You don't need a seperate signal strength meter to align it. I aligned mine using the signal strength meter on the receiver.

The dish is bigger that the single LNB and the tripple LNB dishes but it's not so big you can't install it yourself. It comes with a new mounting bracket assembly.

·
Mentor
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I definitely plan to have an installer set up the new dish.

I guess I'm looking for the general knowledge of what it takes to get the HD signal into my house and recorded on the HR20.

I see that DirecTV has talked about OTA being enabled soon. What exactly IS that? I realize you can get your locals via an OTA antenna, so what new functionality will this bring? Does it mean I won't need a separate OTA antenna or something else?

Thanks again everyone.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
The avsforum is a great place to learn about 5.1 receivers and many general topics. I also like the hardware reviews on cnet.com.

The HR-20 Installation Tips link below takes you to a compillation of dozens of tips about installing your new system.

Once you are installed, the HR-20 Tips will help you find key features and get the most out of your system.

Please also note that you are DBStalk user number 28,935. About 20 users hate their HR-20 and leave many of the posts.

Good Luck!

- Craig

·
Mentor
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, as I've gotten advice and read some more, I think I feel pretty silly. Tell me if I understand this correctly:

With the new MPEG-4 channels, I can record local HD programming. The OTA antenna might give me better quality, but until OTA is enabled in the HR20, its for live viewing only (I can't record anything).

Is that right?

·
Banned
686 Posts
Wolo said:
The OTA antenna might give me better quality, but until OTA is enabled in the HR20, its for live viewing only (I can't record anything).

Is that right?
If your TV has an OTA ATSC tuner, that is correct.
If your only OTA ATSC tuner is in the HR20, you won't be able to view OTA ATSC programming at all until they enable it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.