DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
21,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the XM Roady that was on Woot a few days ago. ($39 AR with 3 months free and free activation). I got it installed yesterday with no problems. I haven't decided who wins on the signal quality area yet simply because I haven't had enough time ot listen yet. First impressionn is that music sounds a bit better on Sirius, but voice (talk station) sounds a bit better on XM. Music seems more compressed (dynamic range, not digital). I was listening to 6 for a bit and couldn't STAND the DJ on there, I hope he's not the only one on the station. He sounds like he's talking through a mouth full of marbles. All his "s's" sound like "sh's". They seem to talk more on XM (at least on that station) and say absolutely nothing, including talking over the music. My favorite station on Sirius was "Underground Garage" where the DJ's actually talked about the music and the history behind the various bands (for the most part). I found that interesting, not the typical, this song is dedicated to.... bla bla bla. Obviously I have to give it a bit more time, as I am judging it on only two stations so far, I am sure I will find some stations that I like.

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
I just 'wooted' the XM Roadie XT also -- it comes with two add-on chokes that I'm
instructed to affix to the antenna wire and the 5 volt power cord. I am considering
leaving them off for asthetic reasons.

I'm asking you experienced XMers if you know of any undesirable effects that might
be expected without these external filters installed? I sure as heck don't want to kill
off any pacemaker patients as I innocently drive down the street! :confused:

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I've had XM for a couple of years now. I really enjoy the service and notice my wife has the "Blend" on Directv whenever she is working around the house.

My programming tastes are probably unusual but I listen to the 50's 60's and 70's, the Blend, Mix, Flight 26, Monsters in the Morning on Extreme, The Trucking Bozo on Open Road, and WLW for Cincinnati news (I grew up there). I also flip through the comedy and news channels.

I have an original Roady and a newer Audiovox unit. I have never seen the filters. I wonder if they are included now since the broadcasters got on XM's case about some receivers interfering with OTA FM?

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Welcome Richard and Nick to the XM Nation!

Richard, XM tries very hard to recreate the feel of the decade channels as if it was actually that decade. From the motormouth DJs, to the jingles, to the reverb mic, I wasn't alive in the '60s, but I have a pretty good idea of what radio sounded like back then thanks to XMs 60s on 60. I personally love it and think it gives the station a lot more life, Sirius’ 60s Vibrations seems dead to me. I love Phlash Phelps in the morning and Terry Young is great. Both of these guys have a lot of passion when it comes to what they do. That said, I’ll put my foot in my mouth and say my main home for Oldies is on Music Choice. I prefer the ~1955-~1975 playlist mix rather then just one decade, but I can’t take MC in the car with me, so XMs 60s station is the next best thing.

I feel quite the opposite. Other then a few exceptions, Sirius has the blabbermouth DJs, Madison on Alt Nation is annoying as hell, I don’t care about he skanky life, Kayla does not belong on Classic Rewind, and that guy on The Beat is..well…just f’ing weird. Quite a few of XMs channels don’t even have DJs or have DJs that are passionate about what they do and really add to the station. Trinity on Watercolors, Terry on The 60s, hell even Marlin on Enlighten is excellent and he doesn’t get too preachy. Other stations that I listen to like Big Tracks, Lucy and XM Chill don’t even have DJs at all. There’s a parttime DJ on The Message.

As far as sound quality my general observation is, after doing many A-B comparisons on both music and talk stations.

For music,
Sirius has more digital compression but more dynamic
XM is less compressed but sounds more flat

For talk, they’re nearly identical. I can put on any of the talk stations both XM and Sirius have and notice no difference.

Nick, all the ferrets do is reduce the power of the FM modulator in order to make it ‘FCC Compliant’ if you use the built in FM modulator, my advice would be not to install them, I have a Roady XT from when they first came out last December, the power of the FM modulator is incredible, and by far the best sounding satellite radio receiver I’ve owned (7 thus far) so like I said if you use the FM mod, don’t neuter it and just put the ferrets where they belong, in the garbage.

That said wireless FM modulation is the worst way to listen to satellite radio, if you the best sound quality, use a direct hardwired connection. If your cars headunit does not have an auxiliary input, you can buy aux input adaptors. I bought a dual Aux input adaptor to allow me to have hardwired connections for both XM and Sirius. I disconnected my factory 6 disc CD changer, plugged one end of the adaptor into there, then connected each satellite radio receiver and can switch between the two inputs like I’d switch between different disc.

Both XM and Sirius. My listening goes something like this.

XM is for The 60s, The 80s, Big Tracks, Bone Yard, BPM, Enlighten, Flight 26, Hear Music, Liquid Metal, Lucy, Squizz, The Message, Watercolors, X Country, America Right, NHL Home Ice, Old Time Radio, XM Comedy. I listen to Opie & Anthony when I get a chance.

Sirius is for The Beat, Buzzsaw, Classic Rewind, Hard Attack, Octane, Prime Country, Revolution, Super Shuffle, NFL Radio, Playboy Radio, Raw Dog, Sirius Patriot. I will also occasionally listen to Howard or Bubba.

On both I enjoy Fox News, Fox News Talk, Laura Ingram and Mark Levin. I miss Michael Savage and the John & Jeff Third Shift Show.

Music Choice is for the stuff neither XM or Sirius has like Party Favorites, Solid Gold Oldies and Sounds of the Season.

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
Steve, I couldn't help but notice that your personal taste in music has broadened -- considerably! ;)

·
Hall Of Fame
21,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If your cars headunit does not have an auxiliary input, you can buy aux input adaptors. I bought a dual Aux input adaptor to allow me to have hardwired connections for both XM and Sirius. I disconnected my factory 6 disc CD changer, plugged one end of the adaptor into there, then connected each satellite radio receiver and can switch between the two inputs like I'd switch between different disc.
I have been searching the net for such an adaptor for my Hyundai Santa Fe with no luck. I have a head unit with a switch for the CD changer, but no changer installed, hence, no cable. Any idea where I can get such a cable (with the right logic built in) for my car. I bot one a while back that I thought would work, but all it did was blow a fuse. The one I bot was made for an Infinity brand car stereo. It had the right connector, but not the right logic.

·
Hall Of Fame
21,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sirius is for The Beat, Buzzsaw, Classic Rewind, Hard Attack, Octane, Prime Country, Revolution, Super Shuffle, NFL Radio, Playboy Radio, Raw Dog, Sirius Patriot. I will also occasionally listen to Howard or Bubba.
Check out the "Underground Garage" sometime. You might like it for the variety and the education. :D

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
Thanks to Richard King for posting the Roady Woot! recently -- I am now the
newest and probably the eldest XMer kid on the block, and I installed it myself.
It was so easy I did it with one hand! :p

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Yes Nick, satellite radio does that for a lot of people. :) Three years ago if someone told me I'd be listening to anything but Liquid Metal, Squizz and Bone Yard and that anything included Southern Gospel I'd slap them silly :D

Richard, I purchased my adapter from Circuit City. It’s branded 'USA Spec Aux Interface' and comes in an orange box. All the cables you need are provided for you. There is a silver colored unit that has two sets of RCA inputs on one side and a proprietary connector on the other side. A cable gets plugged into there from the back of the head unit. These things do require power, so you have to disconnect the power from the headunit and it runs through a pass through. It cost me $80, if you only want one set of RCA Ins I'm not sure what they cost. It was pretty simple to install, the hardest part was getting the factory radio out :)

One thing, with my Roady XT I was experiencing some wicked electronic noise, the Sirius Starmate Replay was fine. After replacing everything, including going to WalMart and getting another Roady XT, which was returned, I went to RatShack and purchased a ground loop isolator for $18 that solved my problem. Others have experienced the samething with the Roady XT so just a heads up.

So now I have to ask, are you going to keep XM and ditch Sirius, keep Sirius and ditch XM or become a dualy?

I'm listening to Sirius 25 right now, pretty good stuff thus far.

So guys what are you listening to on XM so far?

·
Hall Of Fame
21,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Richard, I purchased my adapter from Circuit City. It's branded 'USA Spec Aux Interface' and comes in an orange box.
They don't seem to have one for my car there. I have tried bunches of places with no luck for my model car. Hyundai will only provide it with a cd changer, which I don't need. If I could find a source (or a diagram of what's in the encased part of the cable) I would buy it or build it. I need a cable with an 8 pin Din connector to the appropriate audio connector(s). The cable I bot is like this:

Attachments

·
Hall Of Fame
21,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I found the pin-out specification for the 8 pin DIN connector that I have at the end of the cable. I also found the Hyundai pin connection specification here: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44453 I have taken the module on the cable apart and found that there is no "logic" built into the module, simply an audio-r, audio-l and ground going through from the mini stereo plug soldered to three of the pins on the DIN connector. In theory, I should be able to take it apart and resolder to the proper pins and have it work. I will probably blow up my car in the process, but I will give it a try in the next few days, if I can find my soldering iron.

Attachments

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Cool, hope this one works for you Richard :)

·
Hall Of Fame
21,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ruined one 8 pin din connector from having too hot a soldering iron. The local electronics shop only had one left so I bot it and took it to a television repair shop to have them solder it up. I will have it back today and try it out. What this will do for me is allow me to plug into the CD Changer input on my head unit so that with I push the CDC button on the front panel of the head unit XM will play through the system. No need for FM modulation or cassette adaptor. Not bad, if it works.

By the way, I just noticed your previous question and I will be XM only for at least the six months that I am required to have it per rebate terms. I do miss Underground Garage though.

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
That's a good deal considering I paid $23 with shipping just for the Roady XT remote from Amazon last week. I was using the remote from my original SkyFi for the longest time, but back in the summer when I nailed the skunk and had to leave my truck outside overnight, we had a lot of dew and the saturation killed the remote.

·
Hall Of Fame
21,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I got my home kit today and while I am currently an XM sub, once my six months are up I am out of here. The audio quality is even worse than I suspected it would be when listening through decent speakers. There is minimal, if any, channel separation. There are no highs, no lows. Sure, I expected a good rendition of '60's music, but I didn't expect to get thrown into the wayback machine and have to listen to the AM radio band that I had to back then. The quality of this thing is horrendous and totally unacceptable. If I hadn't committed to the 6 months I would send it back TODAY. All I can say is :barf: Too bad, I was really looking forward to this. Anyone want to buy a home kit? This is going to be relegated to car only use where the sound created by the car covers up some of the many flaws in the quality of this thing. I had no such problems with Sirius, I am using the exact same cables going into my equipment, I simply unplugged the audio cable from Sirius and plugged it into the XM receiver.

·
1 Posts
Richard King said:
I ruined one 8 pin din connector from having too hot a soldering iron. The local electronics shop only had one left so I bot it and took it to a television repair shop to have them solder it up. I will have it back today and try it out. What this will do for me is allow me to plug into the CD Changer input on my head unit so that with I push the CDC button on the front panel of the head unit XM will play through the system. No need for FM modulation or cassette adaptor. Not bad, if it works.

By the way, I just noticed your previous question and I will be XM only for at least the six months that I am required to have it per rebate terms. I do miss Underground Garage though.
Richard,

Could you provide a more complete wiring diagram for the cable you built. Being one who tends to get more solder on his fingers than on the wires, the detail would be most helpful.

Jim

·
Hall Of Fame
21,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I built it, but it doesn't work. There is some logic required that tells the head unit that the cd changer is there. I am still trying to find out how to get around this problem, but so far no luck. NO ONE sells an aux adaptor that works in Hyundai and I can get no info from the place where I bot the car. I think my problem is unique to the Hyunda as I can find adaptors for nearly all other cars. I even spoke to some of the accessory car companies and they couldn't tell me why the don't have one for Hyundai. I SUSPECT that Hyundai may make their own radios for the car that uses their own system of communication between the head unit and the CD changer.

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Wow I have no problems with XMs sounds quality, other then like everything, it could be better. I gave my general thoughts on each providers sound quality above, like I said to me they’re both different, but neither sounds better or worse then the other. For the best sound on satellite radio check out 76 or 113. The two XMHD channels are allotted a lot more bandwidth then regular channels, too bad they play nothing that I want to hear.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.