DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Cool Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I'm getting a DirecTV HD DVR wednesday. I've been reading about all the problems going on with the different DVR's today, do I need to do myself a favor and call DTV and cancel the HD DVR and get a regular HD receiver? Is it really that much of a headache?:confused: :rolleyes:

· Hall Of Fame
5,000 Posts
No not really. I have really not had any problems other then today. Don't shy away from getting a HD DVR due to this.

· Registered
5,674 Posts
remember, on a forum you will hear problems mostly. that is what they are for.
there are many with no issues, they don't join just to say everything is working right.
I will say for the most part my 2 have been ok. I ahd one that died and a replacement was sent. took time but no cost for the replacements. did lose money due to time spent but thats a whole other issue.
its worth getting for sure in my opinion.

· Legend
207 Posts
the hd experience is so good overall, that even directv's horrible customer service & below average hd dvr's (and i've put up with lots of both), can't dissuade me from keeping it....for now anyway. i'm just hoping for a miracle when/if next years tivo/directv models come out.

· Hall Of Fame
3,914 Posts
dolby212 said:
Hey guys,
I'm getting a DirecTV HD DVR wednesday. I've been reading about all the problems going on with the different DVR's today, do I need to do myself a favor and call DTV and cancel the HD DVR and get a regular HD receiver? Is it really that much of a headache?:confused: :rolleyes:
If you get an HD receiver, you definitely won't get any recordings. If you get an HD DVR, you might get the recording, so that is an improvement! Actually, the DVR's do sometimes have problems, but overall they are good and have some nice features. Although, it would be better if you didn't have to wonder, is today is the day its going to decide that it won't record my favorite show?

3 Posts
I've been happy with my HR-21 (with the exception of today, of course). No problems with recording. I've used the video on demand a bit also. I use the DVR features all the time. I would definitely go with the DVR.

· Godfather
388 Posts
We have had a few minor problems here and there but nothing that couldn't be fixed through software updates. Overall, we are very happy with ours and the storage capacity of the HR22s is absolutely phenomenal. I really wish DirecTV would get the HR22 at headquarters and make a point to advertise how much higher their DVR capacity is over Comcast.

· Cool Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guys,
Thanks again for the other replies, I really am looking forward to getting the HD DVR wednesday. I posted in another thread about transfering shows from the DVR to PC for archiving purpose's (Blu-Ray) (YES I know it doesn't work and I have read that, but the posts I read were from '07 so I wasn't sure if someone had found a way to do it by now besides using a capture card which I have but it's not HD) Anyways, a member pointed me to the hauppauge website and their new HD PVR. So whatever HD shows I record to my HD DVR I can transfer to the PC using it and keep the HD quality and Dolby 5.1 audio. Bad thing is.....no HDMI and I dont have the $200+ cash right now LMAO, but no big deal I guess. Christmas is right around the corner, just hope I have enough hard drive space till then.

Thanks again, I appreciate the replies, I like this site very much! Everyone in this thread and my other thread were very helpful.

· Cool Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey guys,
Well I got my HD-DVR.......And I love it. it's the hr21-200 and it's looks amazing, the box itself and the high def picture it outputs The guy that came to install it was way too rough installing the HD receiver my parents got for our living room. He kept hitting the piss out of their home theater receiver with the cables and everything. so when he went to install the HD DVR in my room I stepped up and helped him, I be damned if he was gonna get rough around my stuff. Anyways I am very pleased with the HD DVR besides the fact it's a little slow to respond to remote commands.

Thanks for telling me not to back out of getting the HD DVR guys, I appreciate it
Chris

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.