DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
AllStar
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already posted this, but I want to get more info since I've been on non stop hold and calls to DirecTV customer service, to no avail. I want to verify that I'm not crazy before I go postal and call them back.

Do you have signal on 99 and 103 satellites and do you get multiple local channels such as 2 channel 2's. In the guide one is WCBS and the next one above it is something like WNYC not positive of the name since I'm not home and can't see the guide. I currently only get the 2nd channel 2 and the first channel 2 gives me the 771 searching for satellite signal. I'm using channel 2 as an example since I'm having the same issue on all my local channels, 4, 5, 7, etc. When they first installed the HR20 I had signal on 99/103 and got the 2 channel 2's for example, and now I dont, so I think im not getting the MEPG4 local channels 2, 4, 5, 7, etc. When I call customer service, by the way who are clueless about the HR20, they tell me that my HD locals are on 80. 82, which is true, but they aren't the MPEG4 correct ? Am i right about this or am I going nuts ?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
The first channel 2 in your guide should be WCBS, the MPEG4 HD channel. The second will show up in the guide as NY2, which is MPEG2 SD. Looks like your 99/103 reception is out of whack like you suspected. Yes, the channels in the 80s range are MPEG2. Check your signal strengths and if you get a low or no signal on 99/103, they're gonna need to reaim your dish. I could also be a couple other things going wrong, such as a faulty multiswitch or b-band converter, but I'm leaning towards a misaligned dish.

·
Legend
105 Posts
I've had their techs down two times already and am about to have them a third time. My locals HD signal is on 103 and I have ~50% signal on that bird. Oddly, the one satellite that has the best signal is 119 and there is only three things on there that I watch. ESPN2 HD, Discovery HD and HD Net. What's worse, each time I talk to D* I get 'don't worry about that, its just your locals'!?!?!?!? Kills me. Keep on them about it. It looks like this is an issue that they need to deal with ASAP.

Z

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
jerkieman said:
I already posted this, but I want to get more info since I've been on non stop hold and calls to DirecTV customer service, to no avail. I want to verify that I'm not crazy before I go postal and call them back.

Do you have signal on 99 and 103 satellites and do you get multiple local channels such as 2 channel 2's. In the guide one is WCBS and the next one above it is something like WNYC not positive of the name since I'm not home and can't see the guide. I currently only get the 2nd channel 2 and the first channel 2 gives me the 771 searching for satellite signal. I'm using channel 2 as an example since I'm having the same issue on all my local channels, 4, 5, 7, etc. When they first installed the HR20 I had signal on 99/103 and got the 2 channel 2's for example, and now I dont, so I think im not getting the MEPG4 local channels 2, 4, 5, 7, etc. When I call customer service, by the way who are clueless about the HR20, they tell me that my HD locals are on 80. 82, which is true, but they aren't the MPEG4 correct ? Am i right about this or am I going nuts ?

Thanks
Sat 99
1-8...... 89 97 96 95 85 97 N/A N/A

Sat 103
Transponders
1-8...... 0 0 100 78 95 69 N/A N/A
Rest.....NA

Virtually the same readings on both tuners.

My HR20 has been fairly reliable (installed on 9/16). I never missed a recording, I've only had 2 unwatchable recordings. I've experienced the trick play bugs everyone has due to the update prior to the last update. Also experienced a couple of lock-ups. I'm in Nassau County, Long Is.

I agree with PoitNarf.....looks like your sat aim is faulty.

·
AllStar
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I'm going to call them and raise hell. I have had DirectTV at my house 3 times since the initial install. The time before last that they came out it was because the dish fell out of the brick it was anchored into. I literally had the dish lying on top of my roof, if it fell the other way it would have ended up in the driveway. Who knows who could have been walking by and got hit by it? A 35 pound dish falling on someone would be bad. I can't believe how bad customer service / installers are. I told the last guy yesterday that 99/103 is used for MPEG 4, he had no idea what I was talking about. It's very bad when the customers know more then tech support / installers.

I really wish cable had the NFL package, I would have told DIRECTV to F* off along time ago.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
jerkieman said:
Thanks guys, I'm going to call them and raise hell. I have had DirectTV at my house 3 times since the initial install. The time before last that they came out it was because the dish fell out of the brick it was anchored into. I literally had the dish lying on top of my roof, if it fell the other way it would have ended up in the driveway. Who knows who could have been walking by and got hit by it? A 35 pound dish falling on someone would be bad. I can't believe how bad customer service / installers are. I told the last guy yesterday that 99/103 is used for MPEG 4, he had no idea what I was talking about. It's very bad when the customers know more then tech support / installers.

I really wish cable had the NFL package, I would have told DIRECTV to F* off along time ago.
No Problem. Try to stay cool...I'm sure everything will work out in the end. Unfortunately, things never get done as fast as we would like.

·
AllStar
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Vinny said:
No Problem. Try to stay cool...I'm sure everything will work out in the end. Unfortunately, things never get done as fast as we would like.
Thanks Vinny, the problem is that the HR-20 was installed a month ago and I'm still having problems with the install, not so much with the unit. If sorta sick of taking a day off work, having a guy come to my house and then leave without doing something or making it worse. DirecTV has to have the worse customer service / installers I've ever seen. The best thing is they lie to you, they told me this last time there were sending a "lead tech", meanwhile it was the same guy they sent the 3rd time, who didn't know anything about MPEG4.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.