DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
AllStar
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the H20-100 installed and have been having one problem after another. Has anyone esle expierenced the same problems that I have been?

1) Takes to long to load channels - Averages 2.5 seconds to load channels. All my other receivers take less than 1.5 seconds. (Hughes, Sony Sat- HD100, D* D11-300)

2) Big Black Box appears in the Middle of the TV screen randomly - Called D* Technical Service and they where no help. They said that they never heard the this problem. The only way I can make the Black Box go away is to , turn the receiver off, Reset the receiver and sometime I can just change to another screen and it will go away. Eventually the Black Box pops back up. It appears to be happening when I'm changing channels. It happens about ever 30 minutes or less?

3) D* Active Channel does not display?

4) 580 channels show up under Favorites "Channels I get"
- This feature is supposed to display only the channels I can receive, but shows 580 channels. Called D* Technical Service and they where no help. They said that I may need to have a technician do a setup again?

Other things I dislike about the HD20

- The over all look and feel of Menu suck - compared to my Sony and Hughes receivers.
- Only 2 custom Favorite Channel list? My Sony and Hughes had 3 to 4 favorite lists.
- Can't reassign name for "Favorite Channels List"- Example: Kids, Mom, Dad, Family ect...
- No button on remote to call up Favorite channels list. All my old receivers had a button that allowed you to quickly switch to another favorite Channel category.
- No Top channels viewed button on remote - This was a nice feature that I had on my Hughes and Sony models. It allowed you to quickly call up a box that displayed your tip 8 channels.
- RF Remote Antenna sold separately - D* never mentioned this when I told them I needed a RF remote?

I wish D* would allow Sony and other after market companies to make receivers. Its hard to believe that after all these years, I've got the feeling that in some ways, have taken a giant leap back in technology. It appears to me that D* desperately needs to partner up with a company can help them produce a high quality product. D* should allow there customers a choice of purchasing another product until they can get past there learning curve?

I also have a HR20 on order that should be here in a couple of weeks?. From what I've been reading, this should be a real adventure. I'm not looking forward to the problems and issues that this receiver has had.

·
Registered
12,591 Posts
1) I think that's about normal for this Receiver. It's even slower on the HR20 HD DVR.

2) This looks like it's a "Closed Caption" or "Text" mode on your TV. Verify that your all of your TV's CC/Text modes are set to OFF.

3) Not yet activated on the H20.

4) Right. None of the newer DirecTV Receivers (D11, H20, HR20) have the "Channels I Receive" feature working properly. You'll have to setup a "Favorite Channel" list instead.

·
AllStar
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Litzdog,

Thanks again for taking the time to offer suggestions!

"1) I think that's about normal for this Receiver. It's even slower on the HR20 HD DVR." :mad: I hope I don't have to life with this? A CSR told me that they are working on a upgrade to fix this? Maybe there is hope?

2) This looks like it's a "Closed Caption" or "Text" mode on your TV. Verify that your all of your TV's CC/Text modes are set to OFF. :) Yep, this seems to have taken care of the issue as for know!

"3) Not yet activated on the H20." Sounds like D* may of released a few receivers before they where ready?

"4) Right. None of the newer DirecTV Receivers (D11, H20, HR20) have the "Channels I Receive" feature working properly. You'll have to setup a "Favorite Channel" list instead." When I was talking one of the more experienced CSR yesterday, he mentioned that this function was operating correctly. He said the reason D* does not hide the channels is because D* wants those stations shown to customers so that the customer may decide to order those stations that they do not receive. He mentioned that it was some marketing idea so that customers would buy more programing.

I set up the favorite channels and this does the job when flipping through the channels, but noticed when you press the guide button on the remote and then it takes you "Channel Categories". It still shows the (Channels you do not get) in the listings!

Thanks!!

·
Registered
12,591 Posts
daytoday said:
... [/I]When I was talking one of the more experienced CSR yesterday, he mentioned that this function was operating correctly. He said the reason D* does not hide the channels is because D* wants those stations shown to customers so that the customer may decide to order those stations that they do not receive. He mentioned that it was some marketing idea so that customers would buy more programing.
Nice theory. But many of the stations shown are stations you cannot subscribe to, such as the LA and NY local channels. The whole point of the "Channels I Receive" filter is to remove the channels that we don't subscribe to. I'm just using a "Favorite" list as a workaround.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.