DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Newbie to the forum, but been receiving DirecTV HDTV for a few years now.

Bought the HR-20 for my wife for her birthday. Moved the trusty Sony SAT-60 to the bedroom.

Last night she had setup to record The Office and My Name is Earl, while she watched Survivor. The Office is her favorite show. You know the rest of the story. Although the record light was on the entire time, and both shows showed the R icon in the guide during the recording, both shows failed to record. Just got a black screen for a second when we tried to play them, then it jumped back to the My VOD screen for each recording.

After losing a number of programs in a similar fashion, she is ready to have me drive the car over the HR-20.

Question: Is this problem expected to be fixed via upcoming software upgrades or is it recommended we do a receiver swap?

Thanks so much. Great service to the DirecTV community, Earl. Next to Mother Thresa, you are near Saint status! :D

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
AndyC said:
Hi guys. Newbie to the forum, but been receiving DirecTV HDTV for a few years now.

Bought the HR-20 for my wife for her birthday. Moved the trusty Sony SAT-60 to the bedroom.

Last night she had setup to record The Office and My Name is Earl, while she watched Survivor. The Office is her favorite show. You know the rest of the story. Although the record light was on the entire time, and both shows showed the R icon in the guide during the recording, both shows failed to record. Just got a black screen for a second when we tried to play them, then it jumped back to the My VOD screen for each recording.

After losing a number of programs in a similar fashion, she is ready to have me drive the car over the HR-20.

Question: Is this problem expected to be fixed via upcoming software upgrades or is it recommended we do a receiver swap?

Thanks so much. Great service to the DirecTV community, Earl. Next to Mother Thresa, you are near Saint status! :D
If you take about 20 minutes to read over the threads on this forum, you'll get your answer soon enough. My recommendation: Put the Sony back on your main TV, and like the rest of us, all you can do is wonder when the HR20 will be reliable. Right now, and I don't have to tell you, it's not.

My wife won't even give it a shot, because she's seen the problems. So we set up two DVRs in our living room. Hers is an R10, SD receiver with Tivo. Mine is the HR20, which is working with a few "mods" (I took off the B-Band converters and moved from HDMI to component). We have separate, but unequal (hers works, mine is iffy at best) DVRs.

Not much else I can say but welcome to jungle that is the HR20.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
AndyC said:

Were you trying to record MPEG-4/HD-Locals, or the SD versions? There are known MPEG-4/HD-Local issues that are being worked on, so if that is your case, you have some reason for hope (especially since everything is supposed to go MPEG-4, not just the HD channels, eventually.

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tstarn said:
If you take about 20 minutes to read over the threads on this forum, you'll get your answer soon enough. My recommendation: Put the Sony back on your main TV, and like the rest of us, all you can do is wonder when the HR20 will be reliable. Right now, and I don't have to tell you, it's not.

My wife won't even give it a shot, because she's seen the problems. So we set up two DVRs in our living room. Hers is an R10, SD receiver with Tivo. Mine is the HR20, which is working with a few "mods" (I took off the B-Band converters and moved from HDMI to component). We have separate, but unequal (hers works, mine is iffy at best) DVRs.

Not much else I can say but welcome to jungle that is the HR20.
Thanks very much for the quick reply! Yeah, I hate it when a newbie comes on a forum and asks a dumb question that is easily answered with some patient searching. :( I haven't looked through all the threads, but I did see that other people are having similar problems. I guess I got a little confused because some folks were talking about being on their 2nd or 3rd HR-20, so I didn't know if this was one of the hardware failure issues that require a receiver swap, or if this was something that would hopefully be fixed with a satellite download soon.

Thanks so much for your answer, and your patience! I'll hang out here and learn a few things, and chime in when I have something of value to add, or my HR-20 does something noteworthy!

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hasan said:
Were you trying to record MPEG-4/HD-Locals, or the SD versions? There are known MPEG-4/HD-Local issues that are being worked on, so if that is your case, you have some reason for hope (especially since everything is supposed to go MPEG-4, not just the HD channels, eventually.
I was trying to record SD local channels. I'm in Norfolk, VA, and we don't have the HD locals yet (or OTA, another thing that has not pleased my dear wife).

I had a Zenith DirecTV HD receiver that also pulled in HD off-air, but that fried. I got the HR-20 thinking it did OTA HD channels, and could wait for the HD locals from Norfolk. Turns out OTA isn't turned on in the HR-20 yet, so things started off lousy and got MUCH worse last night. :D

·
AllStar
63 Posts
AndyC said:
You could try doing what I did. I told my wife "Oh, that is a known issue." This is when I found out how well the remote control was constructed as it whizzed past my head and bounced off the tile in an adajcent room :rolling:

This is a software issue. It should be fixed in an upcoming release, then re-fixed to address the new issues it introduces immediately after. (Wash, rinse, repeat) :D

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
HaiChinGow said:
You could try doing what I did. I told my wife "Oh, that is a known issue." This is when I found out how well the remote control was constructed as it whizzed past my head and bounced off the tile in an adajcent room :rolling:

This is a software issue. It should be fixed in an upcoming release, then re-fixed to address the new issues it introduces immediately after. (Wash, rinse, repeat) :D
That's very funny. I had the same experience after my wife's first encounter with the box. Only the remote is now embedded in my left ear.

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
AndyC said:
I was trying to record SD local channels. I'm in Norfolk, VA, and we don't have the HD locals yet (or OTA, another thing that has not pleased my dear wife).

I had a Zenith DirecTV HD receiver that also pulled in HD off-air, but that fried. I got the HR-20 thinking it did OTA HD channels, and could wait for the HD locals from Norfolk. Turns out OTA isn't turned on in the HR-20 yet, so things started off lousy and got MUCH worse last night. :D
Hey, I had the Zenith too. Fried? Too bad. I sold mine on ebay for $130. Now I wish I had kept it until this all gets sorted out (or it fried).

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
AndyC said:
Thanks very much for the quick reply! Yeah, I hate it when a newbie comes on a forum and asks a dumb question that is easily answered with some patient searching. :( I haven't looked through all the threads, but I did see that other people are having similar problems. I guess I got a little confused because some folks were talking about being on their 2nd or 3rd HR-20, so I didn't know if this was one of the hardware failure issues that require a receiver swap, or if this was something that would hopefully be fixed with a satellite download soon.

Thanks so much for your answer, and your patience! I'll hang out here and learn a few things, and chime in when I have something of value to add, or my HR-20 does something noteworthy!
No problem. The decision to ask for a new one is up to you, but there is a reason people are on their second or third boxes. Either they had legit, serious hardware problems, or they were just trying to get one of the two dozen HR20s that work perfectly. Apparently, they are out there.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
tstarn said:
That's very funny. I had the same experience after my wife's first encounter with the box. Only the remote is now embedded in my left ear.
Having learned similar lessons in 30+ years of marriage, that is why my wife has her own, completley independent viewing station in a separate portion of the house. I mean, independent...separate dish, receiver, amp, dvd player, tv. I was born at night, but not last night!:D

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
If what some of you guys are posting is even close to being literally true, sounds like you should be spending time on marital relations forums and forego HR20 issues for a while.

·
AllStar
63 Posts
paulman182 said:
If what some of you guys are posting is even close to being literally true, sounds like you should be spending time on marital relations forums and forego HR20 issues for a while.
We have been trying to record Dr. Phil since his cogent advice is so helpful, but we see some channel that shows a coal mine at midnight on playback instead. :)

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
paulman182 said:
Sounds more like nobody asked for your two cents on our marital situations. Or was that supposed to be humorous?

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
paulman182 said:
To quote an earlier post on a different thread...Please let us know, are you planning to ever post anything useful again or will it always be this type of thing?

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
HaiChinGow said:
We have been trying to record Dr. Phil since his cogent advice is so helpful, but we see some channel that shows a coal mine at midnight on playback instead. :)
Again, very funny. I couldn't tell if that crack was supposed to be funny. Dude must be single. Or his wife never watches TV.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
tstarn said:
To quote an earlier post on a different thread...Please let us know, are you planning to ever post anything useful again or will it always be this type of thing?
Sad to say, I was serious.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
Let me get this straight, tstarn. You think it is NORMAL for a spouse to throw things at you when an electrical appliance messes up?

That's just hard to identify with. My wife doesn't do that, and my ex-wife didn't either.

But you do have my sympathy. And I am serious.

·
Founder
17,326 Posts
AndyC said:

Hi Andy and welcome to the forum! :welcome_s

There are some software issues that still need to be sorted out in the HR20. Sometime doing a full box reset will help (not just pushing the red button but actually deleting everything and starting from scratch). Doing that helped me work through a couple of issues I was having.

Again, welcome and if you have any questions, just ask!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.