DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current system:
Slimline-5 Dish (four cables from dish to multi-switch)
Zinwell 6 x 8 multiswitch (WB68)
two HR22-100's
two HR20-700's

One of the HR22's and one of the HR-20's are connected to my network (wired) the other two are not. All four DVR's have two coax cables to them from the mutliswitch.

If I switch to the whole home service will the playlists that are already on the DVR's be deleted? I read somewhere (differenet web site) that they would be deleted, but i'm not sure it was good information I looked through the DBStalk MRV Faq but I didn't see this question addressed, but its possible that I didnt look hard enough.

I'm thinking that I would like to replace both HR-20's with HR-34's. Is this even possible? What changes would be needed to accommodate than many tuners (12?) on my system?

I'm assuming that MRV and upgrade to HR-34's will require conversion to SWM and Ethernet over coax. Would anything else be required?

I would like to have a good handle on what will be needed before I call DTV.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

· Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
Upgrade to whole-home (without changing equipment) will not cause loss of recordings. If you swap out a DVR, then whatever is on that DVR is gone.

I don't think you can even get two HR34's, so plan on getting only one. If you keep three other DVRs, that will put you at 11 tuners, which means you will need an SWM16 multiswitch (which should be provided as part of the upgrade/change). If you were to get two HR34's and keep two other DVRs, then you would be at 14 tuners, not 12. Same SWM16 could handle that.

· Genius.
19,830 Posts
Chemwise said:

note that is not recommended to get really technical with the CSRs that are taking your order. the majority of the front line reps are just trained to take orders and getting to a technical conversation might lead to confusion.

· Registered
266 Posts
Chemwise said:
My current system:
Slimline-5 Dish (four cables from dish to multi-switch)
Zinwell 6 x 8 multiswitch (WB68)
two HR22-100's
two HR20-700's

One of the HR22's and one of the HR-20's are connected to my network (wired) the other two are not. All four DVR's have two coax cables to them from the mutliswitch.

If I switch to the whole home service will the playlists that are already on the DVR's be deleted? I read somewhere (differenet web site) that they would be deleted, but i'm not sure it was good information I looked through the DBStalk MRV Faq but I didn't see this question addressed, but its possible that I didnt look hard enough.

I'm thinking that I would like to replace both HR-20's with HR-34's. Is this even possible? What changes would be needed to accommodate than many tuners (12?) on my system?

I'm assuming that MRV and upgrade to HR-34's will require conversion to SWM and Ethernet over coax. Would anything else be required?

Hello Chemwise,

I had a similar setup to the one you have. A Slimline 5 with 4 cables going to a Zinwell 6x8 multiswitch (WB68). An HR22, an HR24 and 3 D12's. I wanted to upgrade to 2 HR34's, an HR24 and 3 H24's. I decided to do my upgrades myself as most of the items needed are just replacement parts or some additional parts. Step one was to replace the multiswitch with the SWM 16 multiswitch and distribute the 2 outputs of the SWM 16 through splitters to the different receivers/dvr's. Each output supports 8 tuners maximum. After this change was working for a while I went on to step two. Replacing the D12's with H24's and the removing the HR22. I kept the HR24 and added 2 HR34's. I have an HR34 plus an HR24 and a CCK (Cinema Connection Kit for the internet using deca) going to one of the two outputs and the other output has an HR34 plus 3 H24's. In terms of tuners one output has 7 tuners (HR34 ((5 tuners)) plus HR24 ((2 tuners))) and the other has 8 tuners (HR34 ((5 tuners) and 3 H24's ((3 tuners)). You will most likely have to get a second HR34 from outside of DirecTV as they seem to have a one HR34 per customer rule. :) Good luck to you with your upgrade.

5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your responses.

My general plan was to contact DTV and request whole home viewing and an HR-34. I'm assuming this will trigger the conversion to SWM, DECA, and a SWM 16 multiswitch.

After the conversion is done, I was going to buy a second HR-34 from solid signal to replace the other HR-20.

Do I need a cinema connection kit to connect everything to the internet or can I accomplish the same thing by connecting the HR-34 to my network? Does DTV still sell a wired CCK or do you have to get the wireless one? My preference is wired, however it would be even better if I could avoid the CCK altogether and find another way to connect everything to the internet.

Thanks

· Registered
266 Posts
Chemwise said:

My general plan was to contact DTV and request whole home viewing and an HR-34. I'm assuming this will trigger the conversion to SWM, DECA, and a SWM 16 multiswitch.

After the conversion is done, I was going to buy a second HR-34 from solid signal to replace the other HR-20.

Do I need a cinema connection kit to connect everything to the internet or can I accomplish the same thing by connecting the HR-34 to my network? Does DTV still sell a wired CCK or do you have to get the wireless one? My preference is wired, however it would be even better if I could avoid the CCK altogether and find another way to connect everything to the internet.

Thanks
Hello Chemwise,

As far as I know the CCK wireless (CCK-W) is also wired. Here is a picture of a wireless CCK.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...-W-Wireless-DECA-Cinema-Connection-Kit-(CCK-W) :goofygrin

· Registered
4,149 Posts
The HR34 is nice if you didn't want to change it out,I would suggest you change out to a Swm8 it will reuse the same LNB and 4 lines you now have Get 4 Deca's and one Broadband deca all can be researched on ebay for the best price.

All you current receivers are SWM & Mrv ready except for the deca's then all your recivers will be connected to the internet over MOCA. This will not require you to have another 2 year commit or additional charges to your account doing it this way.

It's your choice. Good luck

· You make it, We break it
4,480 Posts
I agree this is the most straightforward way. If 8 tuners in your house are enough, and you're willing to do some "Recording Management" on the DVRs, it will work for you to simply upgrade to a SWMLine dish with 8 tuners built-in. Then only 1 cable would be required into the home, through the Power Inserter, out through the splitter, and then only 1 cable would be required to carry 2 tuners to each of your 4 DVRs. If you have a DVR near your modem/router, or if your cabling into the home is near the modem/router, you could hardwire the DECA module to the router via Ethernet and you'd be networked (with DECA modules for each of your DVRs as mentioned above).

The HR34 does offer the convenience of 5 tuners, which is nice, but it does limit the number of "2 Tuner TV Locations" in your home unless you upgrade to a SWM16 and keep the 4 cables you currently have coming into the home.

· Hall Of Fame
3,585 Posts
Chemwise said:

Thanks
BTW, I'm fairly certain it has been posted in here recently that DirecTV is refusing to activate a second HR34 on an account no matter where you get it. So I wouldn't go buying one from SolidSignal right away until we hear this is no longer the case.

I think Solid Signal even updated their listing for the HR34 to note this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.