DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

· Cool Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I download or record to DVD ( or laptop ) my HD football games. My dilemma is that I'm running out of space on my hard drive and want to save them. Can this be done anyone have any answers for me thanks
Corey

· Icon
828 Posts
firstround said:
Can I download or record to DVD ( or laptop ) my HD football games. My dilemma is that I'm running out of space on my hard drive and want to save them. Can this be done anyone have any answers for me thanks
Corey
You can record to DVD, but not in HD (yet).
You need to run a composite line from your hd20 to your DVD recorder, along with analog stereo cables.
It's not the ideal situation, but until someone comes out with a HD DVD or Blu-Ray set top box recorder, you can get some very good quality recordings using available SD recorders.

· Cool Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rsblaski said:
You can record to DVD, but not in HD (yet).
You need to run a composite line from your hd20 to your DVD recorder, along with analog stereo cables.
It's not the ideal situation, but until someone comes out with a HD DVD or Blu-Ray set top box recorder, you can get some very good quality recordings using available SD recorders.
Ok so I cant use the usb ports on the direct TV yet, I don't know I'm sorry I'm asking such stupid questions but I'm really new to this stuff and I'm trying to figure it out. So please be patient with me. OK so I get these cables and away we go. That really sucks that we cant record the HD that makes it all worth it , I wonder how long till they come out with this technology
Thanks
C

· Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
I have copied about 50 movies to my stand-alone DVD recorder in the past month. I use the S-Video connection.

I don't know if making digital HD copies will ever be legally supported due to copyright issues, but HD programming recorded to a standard DVD still looks better than standard programming.

· I used to be a rocket scientist
11,448 Posts
I wonder how long till they come out with this technology
Don't count on it. Hollywood is doing its level best to close the "analog hole" via government interference like the "Broadcast Flag" and by pressuring manufacturers to prevent copying. That's what HDCP and HDMI are all about, and why such recorders (when available) almost certainly won't have component inputs, just HDMI or other digital connections that the device software can disable at the whim of content providers.

· Beer Aficionado
1,469 Posts
Here's what I bought. Hook up the composite video/audio cables to this unit and plug it in to the USB port on your pc. It also allows an s-video input. You may not need one of these if you have a media center pc, I'm not sure. I don't have one so I this. I bought it on sale at Best Buy fairly cheap, under $40 IIRC.

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSi...azzle+Video+Archiving/Dazzle+DVD+Recorder.htm

Unfortunately it's not just a file transfer deal, you actually have to play the game/movie/show/whatever on the dvr and capture it on the pc. Best done overnight or when you aren't around to watch the dvr I guess.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Ohter then getting a DVD-Recorder, and playing them back..

No, and it is not expected to change any time soon.

· Registered
1,155 Posts
No you can't record HD on a standard DVD recorder. It has to be downconverted to SD. The only way you could ever record to HD is if you had a DVHS but those are hard to find and you are back to using magnetic tape.

· Icon
798 Posts
firstround said:
what do you mean dvd recorder? I have one of those I want to record them in hd is that possible?
there isn't however..... I bought a Phillips DVD recorder this past december from best buy that has an hdmi output and component connection inputs on it, and it claims to be able to record in "almost HD" quality video but at that quality it only holds 1hr and 2 minutes of content, it might be worth a shot

here is the link to it on the bestbuy website

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...rner&lp=14&type=product&cp=1&id=1134703758492

its sold out right now but you might be able to find it elsewhere

· Cool Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, I just purchassed a canon hv20 video camera and was wondering if I could some how upload it to a std tape then convert it in an editing softwear there has to be a way to do this.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
firstround said:
Thanks, I just purchassed a canon hv20 video camera and was wondering if I could some how upload it to a std tape then convert it in an editing softwear there has to be a way to do this.
Nope..

The problem is there is no "home user" priced devices that can work with the uncompressed signal that is on a component connection or HDMI.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
tucker301 said:
I'm seeing television programming on binary usenet being posted in HD, so somebody's got soemthing figured out.

I haven't looked into what they're doing or how, but I'm going to.

http://www.binsearch.info/browse.php?bg=alt.binaries.hdtv
Not via the HR20..
There are plenty of computer tuner cards, that will receive OTA...

There are other receivers out there that are not as locked down as the HR20 is, so....

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Not via the HR20..
There are plenty of computer tuner cards, that will receive OTA...

There are other receivers out there that are not as locked down as the HR20 is, so....
As in "hackable"? :D

One way is to use a cable HDDVR with a 1394 output.

· Hall Of Fame
2,012 Posts
paulman182 said:
I have copied about 50 movies to my stand-alone DVD recorder in the past month. I use the S-Video connection.
Are you able to record 16:9 or do you have to settle for 4:3?

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
firstround said:
Please do tell...Im all for any options
This is not a topic that covered by this forum (we are about DBS systems).
There many other forum boards out there, that will have discussions about alternative methods to receive HD programming and systems

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.