DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Cool Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading the threads for quite a while and had soem trouble with my HD Tivo so I called D* and ordered the HR20. Iwas unhappy from the first minute and when my wife tried it, she hated it too. I have had Ultimate TV and then Tivo, but this unit is the worst.
First, the interface is clunky and I have read how Tivo is cartoonish, but it works very well. I undersatand i could get flamed for this talk, but I have to post my opinion. Second, I like the Tivo suggestions. Listen first to my reasons. I can't watch 440 channels so I don't know what else could be on that I have no idea about. We have discovered so many shows we like by letting Tivo record and then reading the descriptions and mayde glancing at a few minutes of a show to find out if we like it. Besides, it does not get in the way of what you setup to record and everyday is interesting to see what it recorded. Third, I have to have dual buffers. It turned out to be a deal breaker, one click on the down arrow, and you are watching the other tuner. Fourth, the remote, we hated the layout, why two power buttons? The 30 sec skip is a pain. One click again on Tivo and you where 30 sec up. OTA channels. I live in Dallas and the locals on the sat were only the main .1 affiliate channel and not the others that send out like we have a few stations that feed the local radar and news info on their .2 and .3 digital chanels. Also, I was not getting the loacl PBS digital channel.
All this added up to returning it. I called D* and they are sending out a return box. I hope everyone else likes theirs, but I have to go back to the HR10.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
367 Posts
Hey, you like what you like and dont apologize for that. My wife loves the HD Tivo and unless it completely dies, its staying. As for the HR20, I love mine. I love the HR10 too. Not saying you but I wonder the folks that are getting this unit. There seems to be a handful that get it, and its an immediate dismissal. I think it takes more then a few weeks to get a handle on it if you are a steadfast Tivo person. And some are never going to like it no matter what. So why get it?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I have the HR10 on the SD family room TV that my wife and kids use and the HR20 in the basement home theater, where I go to get away from General Hospital and Miami Ink. :D

This seems to be a great combo of equipment and I will keep the HR10 (to keep them happy) until DirecTV says I can't or offers me a second HR20 for free.

·
Cool Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I have Tivo for as long as I can, maybe by then they will listen to some of the complaints coming from this thread. I might have it longer, ya know the Ultimate boxes still work!

·
Hall Of Fame
2,014 Posts
Rominalmcse said:
Second, I like the Tivo suggestions. Listen first to my reasons.
No, that's OK, you don't have to. Some folks find it irreplaceable, but I find it unnecessary.

I've been with D* for 8 years and I know where the channels and shows that matter to me are and I don't need TiVo guessing about what I might like.

Rominalmcse said:
The 30 sec skip is a pain. One click again on Tivo and you where 30 sec up.
Unless you have a software upgrade or a power cycle, then it's wiped out and you have to program it in again.

Right now, I find the HR20's 30 sec slip preferable to the TiVo's because I can see what's on the screen. I can hit play just before the part I'm looking for, rather than having to jump back with the TiVo.

To me, TiVo's crowning jewel is nearly flawless recording reliability. A lot of the extraneous stuff doesn't have much use to me, but I can see where it would for others. I like having control and it seems that TiVo feels the same. I guess I prefer a DVR that's smart, but doesn't try to outwit me. :D

·
Icon
731 Posts
I would suggest (although sounds like it's too late) to be patient.

I got my HR20 a month ago and HATED it so much.. I too called in 24 hours and wanted a box to return the junk. (I told them I was returning to DISH TV but then they offered my enough goodies to sucker me) and within a week or two I really loved the unit and couldn't beleive how much I hated it. I Really like it now! More powerful in many subtle ways than any other DVR I've had.

·
Cool Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If they enable their version of Tivo-like suggestions and dual buffers, maybe we could talk. But not till then. Bottom line, the only positive I could come up with, and believe me I tried, was On screen caller ID. That ddidnt't seem worth the price.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
You'll be waiting a long time on suggestions. It will never happen, Tivo patent.
Dual buffers they are seriously looking at.

Give it some time. I've had Tivo since 2000 and it only took me 2 days to fall in love with the HR20 interface and speed. One touch recording can't be beat. I could go on but I won't.

If you just can't get over the fact it's not a Tivo then there isn't much anyone can do for you. You'll just have to eventually move to cable and the $800 Tivo series 3. Hopefully you have a good cable option in your area.

·
Godfather
420 Posts
Rominalmcse said:
I have been reading the threads for quite a while and had soem trouble with my HD Tivo so I called D* and ordered the HR20.
Since you've been reading the threads for quite a while, why on earth would you order the HR20? You must have known that there were no dual buffers, no OTA, and no suggestions, which you claim were all deal breakers for you. Makes no sense to me.

·
Cool Member
16 Posts
"... you can't please all of the people all of the time."

We had TiVo for 8 years and loved it but now have theHR20 and like it except for a few complaints:

1. Harder to search for a specific catagory (mystery, sci-fi, etc)
2. No movie ratings
3. Choppy replay for HD locals

Hope future upgrades address these issues.

·
Cool Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought it still would have been a better DVR. I have been a D* customer for 10 years, they say I'm an A List Customer! Whatever that means. big supporter of D*, will never leave if they keep Sunday Ticket, but I could have done without OTA if all locals came thru sat, but they don't. And I thought I could do without suggestions, but there are too many channels and shows I would have never get to see if it were not for suggestions. Thge Season Pass works better and easier than Series Link, the GUI is better in Tivo, the remote is better on Tivo, I manually recorded SNL and then then the HR20 wouldn't play and then it just was gone. Maybe I'll be back in futer for the HR20, may not have a choice, but will not go cable if I can help it.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
367 Posts
wakajawaka said:
Since you've been reading the threads for quite a while, why on earth would you order the HR20? You must have known that there were no dual buffers, no OTA, and no suggestions, which you claim were all deal breakers for you. Makes no sense to me.
This is what I have been saying. If you are on this forum you must have an idea of what you are getting. In fact Earl's write-up gives you a pretty good idea of what it does. I understand folks that have bad units but if you have a good unit, early adopter, and complain about known features not included, I dont get it. Why get the unit? The HR20 is a great DVR. Not perfect but it needs a chance. Give it a few weeks.

·
Godfather
420 Posts
Also, OTA is going to happen. When is the only issue.
Dual Buffers is a "probably gonna happen" (Right Earl?)

So that leaves the GUI and suggestions that you don't like.

The GUI can be mastered given time.
Suggestions? Oh well, probably not gonna happen. To each his own.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
367 Posts
I like you Wakajawaka. You make sense. If you really really want dual buffers now, stick with the HR10. If you have to have Tivo style suggestions and their version of Season Pass, dont get the HR20. I thought thats what this forum was for? To help folks make a decision before they dive in. If you did any research you would find this info.

I can understand folks having an issue with differences in the GUI but just as waka mentioned, it can be mastered with a bit of time and patience. I am now used to it and PREFER it to the Tivo interface. That didnt happen overnight.

·
Cool Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's my point. I shoudn't have to master a GUI. My 9 year old daughter can work the Tivo. She has her own R10. And the HR10 had dual buffers since they came out, and OTA since they came out. This is not early adopter anymore. There is a track record of what customers want. I wanted this unit to work more than anything, I love new toys, but be honest, it' not as good as Tivo top to bottom.

·
Godfather
420 Posts
The point is you must have known all this BEFORE you ordered the HR20 since, as you stated, you've been reading the threads FOR QUITE A WHILE. You knew what you were getting into but you are still complaining.

honestly, the HR10-250 Tivo is a great DVR, but honestly it could be better. One touch recording comes to mind as well as speed as well as networking capabilities as well as interactive capabilities. Plus, If you want Directv and HD programming get used to the HR20 GUI and wait for the bugs to be worked out.

·
Legend
183 Posts
Rominalmcse said:
it' not as good as Tivo top to bottom.
Honestly, I would have preferred that they stay with TiVo as well, but (as has been said) the HR10 has a limited life left to it. I was almost going to get an HR10 when the HR20 came out. One thing I can't stand about the HR20 is the guide. I preferred the other guide that my TiVo had where you could list all the channels on the left and whichever one you highlighted, a 4-6 hour list would appear on the right. That way, I could see at a glance whatever was on that channel for the whole evening.

·
Cool Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don' t think I have to. If the only thing the HR20 gives me is HD locals, then I can get them off air and keep my HR10. And yes, I have been reading the threads, but you won't know if you like the GUI until it is in your hands. You can read some of the other posts and get a since that some things are a pain to get to. The speed of the guide in the HR10 is a tradeoff to the more buttons you have to press in the HR20.
I tell you what, I will pull it back out of the box and hook it back up, then tell the wife DirecTV will not give us credit and she has to use it, after she misses her shows and throws it out the windows and divorces me, I will go back to Tivo

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.