DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
21,334 Posts
I agree that the sound quality on either of the satellite services is not CD quality. I have solved this problem with the addition of some external processing. Between the satellite receiver and the amps I have installed a DBX 3bx dynamic range expander and a DBX 120XP subharmonic synthesizer. This combination of add ons solved the problem. They can occassionally be found very reasonably on EBAY. Check them out.

· Hall Of Fame
21,334 Posts
I have hooked the digital audio output to my audio receiver and it sounds very good.
Good point. I have heard that the digital out is much improved over the line out, but I don't have a Dolby Digital receiver, being still in the stone ages. So, I use the line outs, directly into my processors and then into my pre-amp which feeds my power amps. With the processing I do it fills in the missing dynamic range and low frequency information and sounds QUITE good. :)

· Hall Of Fame
21,334 Posts
I listened to the cds and dvds on a dvd player and hooked up the Sennheiser headphones directly to the headphone jack of hte DVD player. I've got my dish network reciever hooked up to the tv in my bedroom through the S-video and rca audio inputs. The tv is a high end Sony and it has a headphone jack, that's how I listened to the Dish Network channels on my headphones.
That's not a valid way to compare. You need to listen through the same source. Plug the headphones into the HP jack of your stereo receiver and run both sources through there. That way you are at least using the same electronics for the comparison. The results will probably be the same though.

· Hall Of Fame
21,334 Posts
I don't think I have ever witnessed anyone show his ignorance with such pride in public before. Since he responded to my post, I guess I have to respond, so here goes....
-Using high quality speaker wire to all speakers.
Well, this is the first sign of a troll, starting right off about speaker cables. However, since he brought up the subject, I use the same type of wire that I used to use when I was designing, installing and selling equipment to recording studios and touring bands for a living (probably for some people you have heard of), a good quality 14 ga twisted pair high strand count wire, NOT Monster Cable or some other branded wire.
Using a quality home audio system....Dolby Digital audio receiver and five good quality speakers plus sub-woofer.
Well, I haven't upgraded to DD yet, but my Pro Logic component system (distinct decoder/preamp and external amplifiers) works fine with a good source. Speaker wise, having a pair of JBL 4430 studio monitors for my fronts, I don't need no steenking subwoofer. My rear speakers are Monitor Audio Studio 6, feel free to look them up.
None of the four mini-dish systems(Dish, DirecTV, ExpressVu or StarChoice) have Dolby Digital outputs on their entry level receivers
I have a JVC D-vhs DISH system with digital out, even though I am using the analog (yes, they do provide Pro Logic) outs at the moment.
Amazingly, Dish & ExpressVu's entry level systems aren't even Dolby Pro-Logic capable....instead they use European "Musicam" sound technology!
Here is where you really show your ignorance. Dolby PL is a matrixed audio system. The four channels (FR, FL, Center, Rear) are matrixed in a Sum/difference format on the two delivered channels and decoded again at the Pro Logic pre-amp. Musicam has nothing to do with the delivery of Pro Logic or Dolby Digital and is simply the compression and delivery method used by the MPEG coding system. I suggest some further reading up on what Dolby Pro Logic is before you attempt to appear to be an expert. Start here: http://www.dolby.com/tech/whtppr.html
My system (sorry, it's in my living room): http://www.pbase.com/rking401/my_home_theatre Click on any picture to enlarge.

· Hall Of Fame
21,334 Posts
I only use 14 guage speaker cable made by certified virgins in a union factory in Taiwan, using an alloy of platinum and copper, plastic made with monovinyls (not poly), organic chloride and positive-negative ions, and cast in foundries burning Texas (not mexican) mesquite.
I sure hope you have the stuff that they make in the oxygen free environment rather than the cheap stuff that contains oxygen. :lol: By the way, who does the certifying of the labor force?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.