DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· AllStar
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the length of this!

Some advice please. The question is whether to try to salvage my 10 or so year relationship with dish or switch to DirecTV, then bide my time until Verizon FIOS becomes available here in about a year (they're laying down cable now). I know next to nothing about DirecTV except the info I got from a zealous salesperson.

My first question is if I can get a receiver comparable to the VIP 722 from DirecTV.

I have no problem with Dish's product; it's the service. Over the years, the service really seems to have deteriorated to an intolerable point. I doubt DirecTV is any better, but at least I'll get to take advantage of big savings in the first year with the promotions. Like I said, I hope to have FIOS in about a year, so the fact that the savings are temporary is of little concern.

Here's the straw that is about to break the camel's back. A technician came to my house on 7/5. In the process of trying to diagnose the problem, he disconnected and did not re-connect several cables properly, something I realized after he had left. I still haven't figured out how to get my DVD player working.

He left with the understanding that i was going to get an external drive to back up my programs and I would then call him and he would swap my VIP 722. He wanted to do it personally to see if that took care of the problem (he thought it was a defective HDMI port on the receiver).

I promptly purchased an external drive and paid the activation fee. (Why is there an activation fee?) The tech left me his office number as well as 5 other numbers - for superiors and others who he said could be of assistance. I called every one of the numbers (starting 7/6), left voicemail and received no call backs.

I ended up calling Dish and swapping the receiver. However, that did not resolve the issue, which is a line on the very top of the picture. I tried again calling the number the technician gave me for the field supervisor, left a message, again no response.

So, my problem now in addition to a line on top of the picture, the original problem, is that I cannot figure out what the tech did and can't hook up my DVD player (I don't claim to be technically oriented) and I'm needlessly out $$ for an external drive, activation fee and movie rentals. Plus all the aggravation.

On Friday, I wrote to [email protected] and explained the problem in detail. No response to that message or a followup. Is there a phone number for the executive office? Anyway, I'm hesitant about calling since I've been promised things on the phone before only to be told later there was no record of the conversation.

So what do I want? I suppose I'd be content if they simply sent someone back to hook up my DVD player. And a sincere apology from someone. I can live with the line on top of the picture.

That's where I stand. Thanks for any suggestions.

· AllStar
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
boba said:
Didn't you post virtually the same statement back on July 8th?
Yes, it's a continuation. At the time of the 7/8 post, I wasn't aware my DVD wasn't working; I hadn't tried to get in touch with [email protected]; I hadn't received the replacement receiver from Dish and hadn't tried again to get in touch with the local office. In hindsight, I should've kept the same thread instead of opening a new one. And lastly, I wasn't nearly as aggravated and angry at the lack of communication from Dish as I am now - to the point I'm ready to switch.

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
gsusser, if you post this question in the DIRECTV General Discussion forum, I'm sure some of the people there will be happy to help with your questions about DIRECTV.

· Hall Of Fame
1,518 Posts
If you're probably leaving in a year, I'd stick it out with Dish rather than learning a new system with Direct - why go through the hassles. Pursue having them correct their error and move in a year if that looks like the better move.

· Godfather
1,028 Posts
gsusser,

The problem is a line along the top of the screen? Do you have a 1080p TV running in dot for dot or an equivalent mode? If so, the problem has nothing to do with your Dish receiver - this a common problem with the signal from some stations.

· Hall Of Fame
4,010 Posts
Your problem is NOT a problem. It is the closed captioning line broadcast by analog stations and it often gets encoded into the HD stream. Replacing all the boxes in the world will not make it go away.

Maybe after the digital transition in Feb 2009 the stations will stop inserting it.

· Registered
15,592 Posts
Jim5506 said:
Your problem is NOT a problem. It is the closed captioning line broadcast by analog stations and it often gets encoded into the HD stream. Replacing all the boxes in the world will not make it go away.

Maybe after the digital transition in Feb 2009 the stations will stop inserting it.
My LCD can do overscan or no overscan, and with no overscan I see the info up in the VBI on many stations, including ATSC stations via the OTA tuner in the TV set, it's not a problem with the STB as mentioned in prior post.

· AllStar
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
patmurphey said:
gsusser,

The problem is a line along the top of the screen? Do you have a 1080p TV running in dot for dot or an equivalent mode? If so, the problem has nothing to do with your Dish receiver - this a common problem with the signal from some stations.
I wonder why I didn't have this problem with my 622.

Anyway, I agree that it's probably not worth changing service for only a short time and then going to Verizon. So, I called customer service and lo & behold, I got the most helpful CSR ever. With her supervisor's approval, she waived the activation fee for the external drive and is having a tech come out to fix the connection to my DVD. AND, a sincere apology. Meanwhile, I never got a response from [email protected]

Thanks for the responses.

· Hall Of Fame
6,220 Posts
gsusser said:

Some advice please. The question is whether to try to salvage my 10 or so year relationship with dish or switch to DirecTV, then bide my time until Verizon FIOS becomes available here in about a year (they're laying down cable now). I know next to nothing about DirecTV except the info I got from a zealous salesperson.

My first question is if I can get a receiver comparable to the VIP 722 from DirecTV.

I have no problem with Dish's product; it's the service. Over the years, the service really seems to have deteriorated to an intolerable point. I doubt DirecTV is any better, but at least I'll get to take advantage of big savings in the first year with the promotions. Like I said, I hope to have FIOS in about a year, so the fact that the savings are temporary is of little concern.

Here's the straw that is about to break the camel's back. A technician came to my house on 7/5. In the process of trying to diagnose the problem, he disconnected and did not re-connect several cables properly, something I realized after he had left. I still haven't figured out how to get my DVD player working.

He left with the understanding that i was going to get an external drive to back up my programs and I would then call him and he would swap my VIP 722. He wanted to do it personally to see if that took care of the problem (he thought it was a defective HDMI port on the receiver).

I promptly purchased an external drive and paid the activation fee. (Why is there an activation fee?) The tech left me his office number as well as 5 other numbers - for superiors and others who he said could be of assistance. I called every one of the numbers (starting 7/6), left voicemail and received no call backs.

I ended up calling Dish and swapping the receiver. However, that did not resolve the issue, which is a line on the very top of the picture. I tried again calling the number the technician gave me for the field supervisor, left a message, again no response.

So, my problem now in addition to a line on top of the picture, the original problem, is that I cannot figure out what the tech did and can't hook up my DVD player (I don't claim to be technically oriented) and I'm needlessly out $$ for an external drive, activation fee and movie rentals. Plus all the aggravation.

On Friday, I wrote to [email protected] and explained the problem in detail. No response to that message or a followup. Is there a phone number for the executive office? Anyway, I'm hesitant about calling since I've been promised things on the phone before only to be told later there was no record of the conversation.

So what do I want? I suppose I'd be content if they simply sent someone back to hook up my DVD player. And a sincere apology from someone. I can live with the line on top of the picture.

That's where I stand. Thanks for any suggestions.
Stay with Dish. My roommate got robbed by Directv. Charge $45 over their ad.

· Hall Of Fame
15,556 Posts
gsusser said:
So, I called customer service and lo & behold, I got the most helpful CSR ever. With her supervisor's approval, she waived the activation fee for the external drive and is having a tech come out to fix the connection to my DVD. AND, a sincere apology.
It is possible to get a good CSR, if you have the patience to retry. Sometimes it stretches one's patience, but it's just life today.

· Hall Of Fame
1,837 Posts
gsusser said:
I wonder why I didn't have this problem with my 622.

Anyway, I agree that it's probably not worth changing service for only a short time and then going to Verizon. So, I called customer service and lo & behold, I got the most helpful CSR ever. With her supervisor's approval, she waived the activation fee for the external drive and is having a tech come out to fix the connection to my DVD. AND, a sincere apology. Meanwhile, I never got a response from [email protected]

Thanks for the responses.
I am happy that this worked out for you. A good CSR can be hard to find but, they are out there. Maybe this good CSR will make you think twice when Verizon lights up next year.

· AllStar
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
jclewter79 said:
I am happy that this worked out for you. A good CSR can be hard to find but, they are out there. Maybe this good CSR will make you think twice when Verizon lights up next year.
Let's not go overboard. -)

· Cool Member
28 Posts
gsusser said:
Unless your 722 comes with tardware, erm, software that gets worse with every update, menus so slow you can't tell if a key is pressed or not, Frequent Blank/white-screen recordings, 5 minute boot times, no dual Live buffer recording, unreliable program guide data, spurious "searching for satellite" messages that result in Total Tuner Failure until rebooted, then the answer is

"Yeah the DTV DVR is just like the 722", otherwise the HR-21 is the most craptastic throwback on the planet and getting worse with every software update.

You can add VOD that is too slow on the transmitting end to watch anything HD in real time (SD is OK though). You'll also be pleased to be spammed with PPV and Pay-events in the on screen guide and a horrible remote control layout.

D* customer service is worse than horrible. Only the most devious and attentive of callers can even get through to a live person. Their voice menus take days to navigate...

Stay right where you are. Don't even think of going to D*, unless you're into missed recordings and lots of *pain*.

regards,

bullshark

· Hall Of Fame
2,294 Posts
Hey bullshark you're going to get complaints for telling it like it is from the D* crowd. You will hear things like Mine never do that and so on.

From reading all the complaints and no problems two hypotheses have occurred to me.
1. To many different hardware revisions so that what works on one breaks another.
2. HRxx series are extremely sensitive to install issues that do not trouble more robust legacy (SD) equipment.

Going beyond that, dual band 5 lnb dish that needs bracing vs 2 smaller DBS dishes.

· Icon
927 Posts
bullshark said:
the HR-21 is the most craptastic throwback on the planet and getting worse with every software update.
I don't know about most craptastic. Comcast is still using the Moto boxes in my area. The HR2x series isn't much better. But it is better than the cable box.

But the key for me is that it is indeed getting worse with every software update, especially as they try to add MediaShare capability. That's not tolerable to me and why I'm switching to Dish. I'll miss some things from DirecTV. But Dish is now cheaper with better hardware.

I look forward to not having to visit DBSTalk to figure out the latest workaround with the hardware just so I can watch TV... ;)

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
With 3 DS2077's, you'll need 3 DishPro Dual LNBs and an external multiswitch.

Dish just released a new switch that would be ideal, the DPP33 switch (3 orbital inputs, 3 DPP outputs that support 3 single- or dual-tuner receivers). Unfortunately, they're very new and in low-volume production, so they're hard to get right now.

A DPP44 is easier to get, and has 4 inputs and 4 DPP outputs, but is significantly more expensive and requires a power inserter (should be included).

A DP34 will work, but requires 2 lines be run to any dual-tuner receiver, as it is NOT DishProPLUS, but only DishPro.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.