DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· AllStar
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen this one specifically called out, and I want to see if anyone else has experienced it.

This weekend, we (in North Carolina) experienced two different re-enactments of the Great Flood - one on Friday and one on Sunday. During both storms, the signal went out. During one of these times, the picture froze in a pixelated state... during the other one, the screen went black. Both times, I had to reset the unit to make it come back again.

The first time, it was late & the screen was frozen. I powered it down (put it in Standby) and went to bed. Next morning, a beautiful, sunny day, I turned it back on & it was still frozen on the same pixelated picture. After a RBR, it was good to go again.

Second time, the screen stayed black well past when the rain had slowed down to a non-biblical rate. I again had to do a RBR, and the unit started working again immediately.

Has anyone else gone through this one yet?

· Hall Of Fame
2,496 Posts
No I've not seen that one, mine usually comes back pretty quick. Plus I can do other things. Though this weekend I did have some transponders all of the sudden decide that no longer need to tune in. I get the 771 error Searching for signal. I think my issue is related to me having a an HR20 installed the previous weekend along with a new dish and then never actually checking ALL the transponders on my R15. :)

· Cool Member
27 Posts
wolfonthehill said:
I haven't seen this one specifically called out, and I want to see if anyone else has experienced it.

This weekend, we (in North Carolina) experienced two different re-enactments of the Great Flood - one on Friday and one on Sunday. During both storms, the signal went out. During one of these times, the picture froze in a pixelated state... during the other one, the screen went black. Both times, I had to reset the unit to make it come back again.

The first time, it was late & the screen was frozen. I powered it down (put it in Standby) and went to bed. Next morning, a beautiful, sunny day, I turned it back on & it was still frozen on the same pixelated picture. After a RBR, it was good to go again.

Second time, the screen stayed black well past when the rain had slowed down to a non-biblical rate. I again had to do a RBR, and the unit started working again immediately.

Has anyone else gone through this one yet?
Had the pixelated picture / needed an RBR late last night in NJ (when the storm got to us).

· Icon
610 Posts
This happens to us EVERY TIME we lose the signal due to rain. The screen freezes and requires a reboot to get it to unfreeze. It usually takes a couple of minutes of signal loss for this to happen. Many times the audio still works.

One of the reasons for this was an error by the installer. We have two dishes..........one has a 90-95% signal and the other he set at 60%. This is OK as long as it doesn't rain. When it rains we always lose the one satellite. My son got on the roof Sunday and adjusted the dish......95%......hopefully that eliminates the signal loss when it rains.

· Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
I saw this on one of my R15s several months ago when I had the 3LNB dish.

I have not experienced rain fade with the AT9 dish, so I'm not sure if the eternal lockup still happens or not.

· Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
Just out of curiosity, has anyone that has had this problem simply tried hitting the "EXIT" button or the "MENU" button at the black screen? You sould be able to get to MyVOD/MyPlaylist and watch previously recorded material even if there is no satellite signal.

Carl

· Mentor
31 Posts
Am I understanding this right? When you get a bad weather outage, you get a freeze up? You don't see a window that pops up and says "searching for satellite signal" with a motion bar beneath it and it stays on the screen the entire time the signal is lost?

I have had a couple bad weather outages since I have had the R15 and I never got a freeze-up or had to RBR to get back. Once the clouds clear, the searching box goes away and the TV comes back on its own.

· AllStar
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^ One time, I got the "searching" popup - it then went away and froze indefinitely on a black screen. The other time, the screen locked in a pixelated state, I never got the popup, and it just stayed pixelated indefinitely.

In neither case was mine coming back on its own - as I said, one of those times, I put it in standby & left it overnight. When I powered it back up the next morning, it was still frozen on the same pixelated image from 10 hours earlier. It was a beautiful sunny morning, so I did an RBR, and it came back to life.

· Legend
147 Posts
On the 300 I had I saw similar stuff. If the signal went out it would give me the "searching for signal" but if it stayed out for awhile, the unit would lock up. You couldn't change the channel, couldn't pull up a menu of any kind, just do a RBR. Also saw it too when we had techs out trying to adjust the AT9 dish. As they were moving the dish to try to adjust the signal, it would drop out some, that also locked up the box every time.

It rarely locked up once I moved it off the AT9 and onto the old single LNB dish (because that dish is peaked better and drops the signal less).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.