DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Legend
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was talking to a csr last night about an install. I was told that I have an old dish and not the new one. She was surprised I was getting my locals on it. She said the new dish came out about 4-6 months ago. The new one is the 5-LNB. Now, I have a HD receiver and an R15 dvr. And have no problems (besides software issues). What is the deal with this new dish?

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
Today the new dish will get you the HD version of your locals. In a few months (likely about mid year) you need the new dish (and an H20 or HR20) to get the new HD national feeds. Early report from D* was looking like about 40 new HD channels at that time, depending on how many are available.

Of course, NY and LA customers already have their locals on channels 80-88, which are available to the 3lnb dish owners as well.

Cheers,
Tom

·
Hall Of Fame
5,580 Posts
The AT9 five LNB dish was first installed Oct.-Nov. 2005 in Dec. 2005 it became the only HD dish for installs in the Dallas Fort Worth market so it is not that new. The Slimline five LNB dish started showing up about 2 months ago as inventory of AT9s was used up.

·
Legend
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tibber, yep. I live in NJ. So that is why I get the NY HD locals.

Another quick question. What is the difference between the my Hughes HD reciever and the H20?

Thanks!

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
zipbags said:
Another quick question. What is the difference between the my Hughes HD reciever and the H20?
I would recommend going to the H20 if you get the 5 LNB dish. A friend of mine upgraded to the new dish and after that his Hughes HD box would not work properly. Finnaly ended up getting the H20 and all was good.

Allen

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
zipbags said:
Tibber, yep. I live in NJ. So that is why I get the NY HD locals.

Thanks!
Quick answer: Hughes will only work on picking up the 3lnb signals, the H20 will pick up all 5lnbs. (The 5lnb sends all the same data as the 3lnb plus 2lnb more.)

Cheers,
Tom

·
Hall Of Fame
3,189 Posts
An LNB, or Low Noise Block, is an amplifier which receives the radio signal from the satellite after it has been reflected by the satellite dish.

NYC HD channels are also on 99 MPEG4 sat. Source Lyngsat.com

·
Woof Woof Woof
1,543 Posts
zipbags said:
When I was talking to a csr last night about an install. I was told that I have an old dish and not the new one. She was surprised I was getting my locals on it. She said the new dish came out about 4-6 months ago. The new one is the 5-LNB. Now, I have a HD receiver and an R15 dvr. And have no problems (besides software issues). What is the deal with this new dish?
Very funny you bring this up.

Today, I called and ordered an upgrade to H20 and she told me the same thing...asked me what dish I had and then was surprised I got HD channels with it...said I needed a new dish and whatnot.

So, when they install the H20, they will install the dish "if they have it" :nono2:

·
5 Posts
tibber said:
Today the new dish will get you the HD version of your locals. In a few months (likely about mid year) you need the new dish (and an H20 or HR20) to get the new HD national feeds. Early report from D* was looking like about 40 new HD channels at that time, depending on how many are available.

Of course, NY and LA customers already have their locals on channels 80-88, which are available to the 3lnb dish owners as well.

Cheers,
Tom
Pardon my ignorance, but I've been out of the loop for a while--just enjoying HD and working to pay for it. I have 2 HR10-250's which have been working just great until 4-5 months ago when they started blanking out the audio for a few seconds every once in awhile. Other than that Tivo and HD are wonderful.
So, here's my question--- Has D-tv done away with Tivo and they now have a new HD DVR receiver and new 5 lnb dish that also includes local HD? ( I now get local HD channels with a roof antenna which my wife would love to see disappear). What is the new receiver called and has it been reliable? Thanks

·
Legend
175 Posts
jclem said:
Pardon my ignorance, but I've been out of the loop for a while--just enjoying HD and working to pay for it. I have 2 HR10-250's which have been working just great until 4-5 months ago when they started blanking out the audio for a few seconds every once in awhile. Other than that Tivo and HD are wonderful.
So, here's my question--- Has D-tv done away with Tivo and they now have a new HD DVR receiver and new 5 lnb dish that also includes local HD? ( I now get local HD channels with a roof antenna which my wife would love to see disappear). What is the new receiver called and has it been reliable? Thanks
http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=112

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.