DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Mentor
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I activated my HR20 three nights ago. My 5LNB dish will be installed later this week, though I don't think that will effect any of the initial observations I have of the unit. I think that will just provide more channels that I can't see with the 3LNB dish.

Background: I've had the SD-DVR (DirectTivo) for a few (3?) years and loved that unit. So much so, that I bought the HR10-250 two years ago and lived through all of the frustrations everyone else has (won't list those here since it is off-topic).

So far with the HR20:
- the interface is not nearly as weak as I feared it might be. My Dad has a DVR from his cable company and it is lame. I thought this one might be on par with that, but I think the capabilities are pretty close to what I could do with my SDDVR. It will take a little time to get used to the new interface.
- it seems like I need to click the remote more to get to certain features (to activate a different 'Favorite' channels list, or to just get to the channel guide, for example.
- it seems to be much slower changing channels than my SD unit. This is a pain when you like to channel surf as much as I do. (flipping back and forth between Sunday Ticket games later today, for example)
- I REALLY REALLY REALLY miss the ability to put each tuner on a different channel and then switch back and forth between them to watch something (like two football games). I've read some posts that suggest the way to do this is to record one of the shows, but that is a poor workaround, in my opinion. I hope this capability is delivered in a future sw release. Very soon!
- Prioritizer is not bad. Works just like the Season Pass feature. Granted, I haven't accummulated a lot of recording experience with this unit yet so I don't know if I am in for problems (partial or missed recordings) as others here have suggested. But I will be on the lookout for problems such as this and report back if/when that happens.
- I also don't understand why I can control my tv (volume, input) with the remote in 'dvr' mode, but I have to move the slider to 'TV' just to turn it on and off. There is a separate Power On/Off button for TV but they seem to control the DVR not the TV. That is too bad. Would have been a better experience if they could change that one thing.

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
mtk67 said:
- I also don't understand why I can control my tv (volume, input) with the remote in 'dvr' mode, but I have to move the slider to 'TV' just to turn it on and off. There is a separate Power On/Off button for TV but they seem to control the DVR not the TV. That is too bad. Would have been a better experience if they could change that one thing.
First things first, :welcome_s to the forums.

I haven't had the same experience as you. There is a Power button in the upper right-hand corner of the remote that operates the power on the TV. It has "TV Power" labeled just above it. The "Power" button in the top middle of the remote does operate the on/off status of the HR20 - when "off," the HR20 is actually running, but in Standby mode.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.