DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Cool Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called yesterday to make the switch from Comcast to DirecTV. I wanted to get 7 receivers for viewing in 7 different rooms. I know it seems like a lot, but as I have read, I wanted to get everyting done on the initial install. After playing aroud with his computer for a while and talking to his supervisor, the CSR told me that I could only get 6 receivers with the initial install (because that is all they could input into the computer). He told me that I should call back a couple of weeks after activation and purchase another receiver.
Is this the way it has to happen? I would much rather have everything done at one time? Is it true that DirecTV can only intall the 6 receivers on the initial install, or should I call back and try to talk to someone different?

Thanks for your help.

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
You can always call back and see. But I do think there is indeed a limit to the amount on initial install. If I was you I'd get the initial 6 TV and work something out with the tech to run the line to the 7th location so when you do get that box it's plug and play. I am sure some green will work for the tech.

· Godfather
347 Posts
standard install includes 4 rooms. be prepared to pay custom work. the 6 reciever limit is bogus. i have done 8 hddvrs on one work order.

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
DirecTV purposely limits a new install to 6 receivers, because they don't want an installer to be stuck on one job all day, or worse, to be arriving at a huge job at 4:30pm because he was routed 3 other jobs too. By trying to keep jobs down to a managable size, there's a better chance that the job will get done, and not simply canceled/rescheduled over and over.

Also, a standard "free" installation is only for up to 4 rooms/receivers. You will be charged additional labor for the installation of the extra receivers, plus pay for the receivers themselves (those beyond the first 4).

If you want the first tech, with 6 receivers on his work order, to hook up the 7th room, you'll need to pay him for that, as he only gets paid to hook up the receivers on his work order. If the line is already there, though, you can get your 7th receiver from Best Buy and install it yourself. If you "upgrade" to get your 7th receiver, DirecTV will charge you for installation anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.