DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Mentor
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my D* installer guy from Ironwood made a kind of poor install (especially with the cables coming into the living room), I'd like to clean it up a bit and install a wall plate with 2 coax outlets on it and run the cables from there to my HR20.

I know I need something rated for 3GHz but am having a hard time finding anything. Does anyone know where I can get a wall plate (white) with 2 digital RG6 3GHz connectors on it?

here's what I've found so far...

Perfect, but don't know how to buy it (and only get 1!):
http://www.vanco-online.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8_71&products_id=100182

don't know if any of these work:
http://www.installer.com/ethereal/ (search for WPDFW on page)
http://www.sjgreatdeals.com/rcavh128.html

then I also need 2 8ft cables to go from the wall plate to the HR20.

Thanks!

·
Banned
686 Posts
I have close to 100 foot runs of RG6 that I bought from Home Despot in 100-foot spools, and use crimp-on F connectors I got at Radio Shack. I did buy the "nice" crimper from them.

Don't waste your money.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
These Leviton connectors available at Home Depot are what I use and they work just fine. The nice thing is that the wallplates can accept all sorts of different connections (phone, ethernet, coax, RCA, etc):

Wallplate:

RG6 F-connector snap-ins:

·
Legend
109 Posts
Cool! That's exactly what I need. Two for my hr20, one for the OTA, and one for the C* cable line.

Thanks for posting that!

-Chuck

·
Cool Member
19 Posts
If you plan to move things around in the future, get youself a pro grade crimper and one of those "spin" coax strippers. Both can (or used to be) found at radio shack. The crimper runs about $40 and the stripper I think around $14. A somewhat heavy investment, but what you save in the long run FAR offsets the cost. I've moved several times in the past few years and with a new install each time, (I always do my own) I save a boatload in finished cable cost.

soccercoach61 said:
Cool! That's exactly what I need. Two for my hr20, one for the OTA, and one for the C* cable line.

Thanks for posting that!

-Chuck

·
Banned
686 Posts
manny1 said:
If you plan to move things around in the future, get youself a pro grade crimper and one of those "spin" coax strippers. Both can (or used to be) found at radio shack. The crimper runs about $40 and the stripper I think around $14. A somewhat heavy investment, but what you save in the long run FAR offsets the cost. I've moved several times in the past few years and with a new install each time, (I always do my own) I save a boatload in finished cable cost.
Yes, I forgot to mention that along with the not-chintzy crimper I also got the spin stripper. It's a lifesaver.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
manny1 said:
A compression crimper is the way to go. I used to use a normal crimper, but the compression ones are 10x better.

·
Cool Member
19 Posts
PoitNarf said:
A compression crimper is the way to go. I used to use a normal crimper, but the compression ones are 10x better.
Yup, that's the type. Mine looks like it could crush rocks and does the job with little effort.

·
Legend
109 Posts
manny1 said:
I picked both of those up a couple of weeks ago. The stripper is the biggest timesaver I've used in a long time, and the compression fittings are much better than the crimped on ones. :)

·
Cool Member
19 Posts
PoitNarf said:
I got mine for $45, not all that much.
When you standing there in the store and asking yourself "how often am I going to use this?" $45 seems pretty stiff for what appears to be a fancy set of pliers. But, in my current set up, between about 400' of antenna leads, the connection of an eight gang multiplexer, at least four diplexers and the connection of three two tuner boxes plus two singles, not to mention analog terrestrial home runs from several other rooms, It save a ton.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
soccercoach61 said:
I picked both of those up a couple of weeks ago. The stripper is the biggest timesaver I've used in a long time, and the compression fittings are much better than the crimped on ones. :)
I agree, a stripper is by far the most valuable tool for working with coax.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
soccercoach61 said:
Wouldn't that be more like "Coax is by far the most valuable tool for working with strippers." ?? :D
Oh, I get it now. We don't pronounce coax that way in Jersey ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.