DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Cool Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dish already mounted and was wondering,

If I upgrade and get a 722, will dish let me install it? I am willing to learn how to do this and even have all the tools. ( I think the lines are already run anyways )

I'd like to do all the wiring myself, as the previous dish installers have made it look like crap anyways.

I can draw a scematic of my house in Visio and someone can give me pointers if they'd like. Let me know!!

· Godfather
316 Posts
bronsonlewis said:

If I upgrade and get a 722, will dish let me install it? I am willing to learn how to do this and even have all the tools. ( I think the lines are already run anyways )

I'd like to do all the wiring myself, as the previous dish installers have made it look like crap anyways.

I can draw a scematic of my house in Visio and someone can give me pointers if they'd like. Let me know!!
To my knowledge E* does not allow self installs. I guess they figure they can avoid future problems by controlling as much of the process as possible. You have to call them and depending if you are an existing or new customer they will tell you what discounts or special offers are open to you. Then they will arrange the install through their network of installers.

· Cool Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice, will dish active a receiver that I purchase on my own, or do they even activate them?

I have found several website that have dish DVR's for sale.. Any suggestions on a good site to get DVR's, amplifiers, ect?

· Hall Of Fame
1,837 Posts
Yes, you can activate the receivers by calling in yourself or, do it online in you dish online account. They have an option to ship the 722 now but, only if you already have the proper HD dish installed on your house. You might find the proper dish you need from a retailer, install it, then talk dish into shipping you a 722. But unless they know that you have the proper dish you need and know that it is picking the signal up good, I doubt that they will ship it to you. If you are dead set on doing it yourself, you are most likely going to have to purchase both the dish and the receiver from a retailer.

· Registered
2,396 Posts
bronsonlewis said:

I don't disagree with any of the above responses. I would add that if the pulling of internal Coax is the real issue, I would pull the Coax yourself, being sure that you use a Coax that is is satisfactory to E*. (I have done all of my wiring using RG-6 Quad Shield.)

· Godfather
316 Posts
bronsonlewis said:
Thanks for the advice, will dish active a receiver that I purchase on my own, or do they even activate them?

I have found several website that have dish DVR's for sale.. Any suggestions on a good site to get DVR's, amplifiers, ect?
Be careful about where you purchase receivers if you are going to go that route. There are allot of posts here about the pitfalls of purchasing E* equipment from the internet such as Ebay. Always try to purchase a product in a new unopened box from a brick and mortar store if possible. Other then that do your homework on any internet retailer you are considering. E* should activate any receiver you purchase providing there is no issues with it like an account with money owed on it.

· Super Moderator
54,215 Posts
An existing customer MAY be able to get a leased receiver "shipped" instead of "installed" ... you will have to convince a CSR that your dish is good enough for the service. If you don't mind having a tech come by it wouldn't be a totally bad idea. It is the cheapest path to getting the RIGHT equipment installed and working.

· Legend
110 Posts
bronsonlewis said:

I can draw a schematic of my house in Visio and someone can give me pointers if they'd like. Let me know!!
If you run the wiring yourself and it is RG-6 sweep tested to 2150 MHz then the installer could use it. I will save him/her time so why not. If you want to go to the expense of buying a dish for the service you are thinking about in your area and installing and aiming it then go for it. Tell the CSR you have channels 990x (You have dish channel that matches your orbital locations) and that proves you have the right dish installed. They should be able to ship the receiver to you. I did that when I installed a 118.7 dish for international and once the CSR was convinced by verifying reception of channel 9903 then that antenna configuration (1000+) was added to their system which allowed the international channels to be added to my account. What type of dish do you have now? I believe you will need a dish for 110, 119, and 129 (1000.2) If you purchase a 722, E* will activate it no problem. The lease route is the lowest cost route. Let us know what you decide to do and how it turns out.

Wayne

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.