DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Cool Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am switching back to Directv and have a install set for this Thursday. I was trying to figure before they get here whether or not they can simply attach the new cable to my existing cable line and simply pull it through my attic. I do not want them drilling holes through my house and figure this might be a cheaper way of doing it. When I called the install company, Mastec, they told me it was $50 for each line for a custom install. Not sure if they meant each cable line or each room. Anyone ever had it done this way and would this be cheaper then having them go into my attic?

· Godfather
452 Posts
dall08fan said:
I am switching back to Directv and have a install set for this Thursday. I was trying to figure before they get here whether or not they can simply attach the new cable to my existing cable line and simply pull it through my attic.
If its not nailed down inside the walls and not in one of those low voltage gang boxes should be simple. If it is nailed down and inside a gang box, get ready for drilling.

· Hall Of Fame
4,992 Posts
I think its each line. What you are describing would be a custom install and they do charge extra for that.

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
Wallfishes are chargable items, period, even if they just use your old cable to pull new cable through. Honestly, though, if that cable was installed when the house was built, there's about a 99% chance that it is stapled in place. Also, it is usually fed through a 3/8" hole, which isn't big enough to fit a set of dual cable through anyway, so it has to be removed before the hole can be enlarged.

· Cool Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am looking to have them feed it that way to 2 of my bedrooms, they will need to fish 2 lines to my living room for the HD-DVR either way. The 2 lines to my bedroom were install after my house was built, so I doubt that there are stapled in place. The 2 bedrooms will only have a Standard Definition receiver going in them. Any chance they could just use the cable wires that exist to connect to the Dish for that? I did it that way years ago, before HD was available, with my existing dual lnb dish.

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
dall08fan said:
I thought that they could not use existing cable with the new HD dishes because cable companies typically use rg-56 cable and Directv uses rg-6 cable?
Even cable companies use RG6 and have done so for a while. It might not be of the same quality CCS vs SCC. Only people that might use RG59 are building contractors that cut corners.

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
Quick reminder. Negotiate. Normally stuff like this needs to be in check made out to the install company. But often the tech never sees any of that. So if you can work out a cash deal don't panic. If the price is something you can live with, go for it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.