DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Install Today

2K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  deepthinker 
#1 ·
Well, the installer is supposed to be here between 1 and 5 and here it is 1:42. Watch him come at 4:30.:rolleyes: I'm going nuts waiting on the guy to get here. I did get the automated call from Mastec yesterday, so I'm hoping that means they do have HR20's here in DFW. I've read a lot about them being out of stock. Fingers crossed. I'll chime in with my thoughts after install.

#3 ·
Sounds as if you have a "Go" for today's install. Hope it happens for you. :) If he arrives at 4:30, he has met his "window". However, don't let him rush through it. It does take some time for the initial start-up process to complete. It most likely won't be instantaneous............ patiently wait. :D

#4 ·
Donnie Byrd said:
Sounds as if you have a "Go" for today's install. Hope it happens for you. :) If he arrives at 4:30, he has met his "window". However, don't let him rush through it. It does take some time for the initial start-up process to complete. It most likely won't be instantaneous............ patiently wait. :D
Patience is not one of my virtues.:) That having been said, I've made things as easy for the installer as possible.

The only thing hooked up to my TV right now is the SD Tivo. Already disconnected the HD Tivo's and yanked all the wiring. Even pulled the receiver off the rack along with all it's cables. It was a freaking rats nest back there and I've been needing to redo all of it with zip ties anyway. The TV is pulled out a few feet from the wall. Everything is nice and tidy back there.

The only thing he needs to do is mount the dish and run some new cabling. I have the 4 lines coming in through the wall, but one of them is diplexed with the OTA and I know that can't be done with these new installs. I'm going to have him tie off to the 4 exisiting cables and pull 5 new ones through. 4 for the SAT and 1 for my OTA. I'll be unpacking the boxes and hooking up to the TV while he's on the roof. So, the dish swap will take the most time for him.

#5 ·
I'm a little worried about them cancelling at the last minute. Don't know what the policy is for installers and high winds. It's 76 degrees and sunny, but the winds here in DFW are starting to pick up. Getting 25 mph gusts at the moment. I wouldn't want to be on the roof right now. :eek2:

#6 ·
Keep thinking good thoughts. My install was set for today from 1:00 to 5:00. Got a call from the installer, said he'd be here in about an hour and sure enough he was here at 11:50 or so. Took about two and half hours to install the new dish, rewire a few things and get things going. Now I'm watching Tennessee-Alabama (Go Vols!) in HD and enjoying it. The receiver even downloaded and installed the new update before it was formally setup. I'm happy. :)

P.S. He left this afternoon and said he was scheduled for three P.M. installs this afternoon so hang in there. I'm sure they way they're doing it in TX isn't much different than here.

#7 ·
Installer just called to let me know he was going to miss the window and won't be here until 6. Said he's had several KA/KU installs today and the high winds have been slowing him down. I'm cool with it and appreciate that he called now instead of 5 P.M. at the end of the window. I was just going to be sitting around the house today anyway, so no biggie. At least now I know it's a sure thing on the install today. :D

#8 ·
deepthinker said:
Installer just called to let me know he was going to miss the window and won't be here until 6. Said he's had several KA/KU installs today and the high winds have been slowing him down. I'm cool with it and appreciate that he called now instead of 5 P.M. at the end of the window. I was just going to be sitting around the house today anyway, so no biggie. At least now I know it's a sure thing on the install today. :D
Good luck. My installer didn't show up to almost dark. He froze up on the roof and I had to help him down. Luckily another installer was in the area and got it done in the dark.

#9 ·
deepthinker said:
Glad to hear that you at least got the call. Let us know how the install went. :)

#10 ·
I apologize, but I have to get this off my chest. These HR20 installs are a total joke. I have had the last THREE installation appts. missed by Ironwood Communications here in No. California. They have to be one of the most unprofessional companies I have EVER dealt with. First install they call with 5 minutes left in the window to cancel(mid Sept.), second install they just never showed or called(late Sept), third install they never showed or called(Today 10/20/06). I called their corp. office this last time and even they could not get ahold of their own local office. What does that tell you. I even called DTV about four days ago to verify that they had a unit for me and they said they did, "They're unloading it off the truck right now and it's in hand" Now I don't want to sound too bitter because I've been with these guys for over 10 years now and they have credited my account so many times that the CSRs have to make up sh*t to give me more credits and I'm not talking about $10 for 12 months. A lot more than that. It's pretty funny, but still frustrating at the same time. What is up with these guys? I can't wait to hear what they are going to say when they try to reschedule this thing. I mean, how can I believe that they are actually going to show and should I waste another(three in all so far) Saturday? I feel like they should send me all the hardware so I at least have that. Yes, I know they are supposed out of stock and are making more. Sounds like a Doritos commercials. "Don't worry, we'll make more...", but I called and they said they had one for ME, with my name on it. Is that a ball-faced lie or what?

O.K. rant over, unless I think of something else....:hurah:

#11 ·
mlobitz said:
I apologize, but I have to get this off my chest. These HR20 installs are a total joke. I have had the last THREE installation appts. missed by Ironwood Communications here in No. California. They have to be one of the most unprofessional companies I have EVER dealt with. First install they call with 5 minutes left in the window to cancel(mid Sept.), second install they just never showed or called(late Sept), third install they never showed or called(Today 10/20/06). I called their corp. office this last time and even they could not get ahold of their own local office. What does that tell you. I even called DTV about four days ago to verify that they had a unit for me and they said they did, "They're unloading it off the truck right now and it's in hand" Now I don't want to sound too bitter because I've been with these guys for over 10 years now and they have credited my account so many times that the CSRs have to make up sh*t to give me more credits and I'm not talking about $10 for 12 months. A lot more than that. It's pretty funny, but still frustrating at the same time. What is up with these guys? I can't wait to hear what they are going to say when they try to reschedule this thing. I mean, how can I believe that they are actually going to show and should I waste another(three in all so far) Saturday? I feel like they should send me all the hardware so I at least have that. Yes, I know they are supposed out of stock and are making more. Sounds like a Doritos commercials. "Don't worry, we'll make more...", but I called and they said they had one for ME, with my name on it. Is that a ball-faced lie or what?

O.K. rant over, unless I think of something else....:hurah:
Been there, done that, didn't even get a T-Shirt. Ironwood no showed the first time in Sept. The next 3 appointments they confirmed that they had the AT9 and HR20's to do the install and showed up without them. Finally got my HR20's installed, one month after my original movers connection appointment.

Then, the real fun began :) One of the units was defective. I am waiting on box number 4. The replacements have also been defective. Ironwood was supposed to bring out a new box Yesterday. They called and confirmed, then showed up with no HR20. Tech claimed that they have been out for days.

The combination of defective equipment, bad installer experience, misinformation from the CSR's and the software issues with the HR20 really should have me frustrated now, but, I find it amusing. It is just TV, I am thankful it is not life support equipment that I am counting on these people for.

#12 ·
No, I hear you, it's just TV. Actually, I never wanted the damn HR20 anyway. I got talked into it by a CSR. What a mistake that was. I was calling about a billing problem and they offered me the HR20 for free. I mean, what will I get with it that I don't already have. In fact, in Sac. we don't receive Fox or the local RSN in HD anyway! I called and they have no real reason for it other than they haven't negotiated with Fox for it in Sac. What is that about? Yes, I know, "Next year, you'll be able to get 150 national HD channels with the HR20." I'll believe it when it happens and who really wants a DVR that doesn't have dual buffers and OTA capability enabled. I mean, all these people are griping about the same damn thing. Something stinks about this HR20 and the people who know on this board are too embarrassed to call out the real reasons. It almost sounds like DTV and Sony are the same. Can you say PS3:lol: What a joke that is!

#13 ·
deepthinker said:
So How did it go ?? Did he show ??
Hopefully the installation went smoothly
and he's still not on your roof at this time.
WE all want want to know....
:)

#14 ·
The install went off without a hitch. Well pretty much, I'll explain in a minute. One guy showed at 6:30 and said he was sent over by the installer I had talked to earlier in the day that said he would be late. This guy was helping the other guy out. He got the dish setup going. About the time he was on the roof the other guy and a 3rd DTV installer showed up. Yes a third.:lol:

Anyway, dish was swapped, two new cables were pulled so I could have a dedicated OTA cable run, as it was diplexed with the 4th cable before. They left the old Phase 3 on the roof, as my Winegard OTA antenna is attached to the mast of the Phase 3 dish, and that attachment wouldn't fit on the new mast. I don't mind, as the dishes are at the back of the house, and noone can see them. Besides, the OTA antenna was dialed into a great signal already anyway. So, I'm good to go when the software update turns on the OTA.

They made sure the new software was loaded before they left. I only have one problem.

They didn't do the remote setup during guided setup. Well, I just blocked the IR port on one of the boxes and tried to follow the instructions. I switched the option to AV1 or AV2 for the second box and all of a sudden now I can't get that box to respond to the remote at all??? How do I reset the box so that I can run through guided setup and get the box to respond again????

#15 ·
Try this.. nothing to lose at this point.

Either a red button reset... or maybe better to even do a FULL reset (factory settings) since there's nothing on there anyway! Start fresh. (Push reset.... wait until black screen... then hold down arrow and record on the unit)

#16 ·
Slyster said:

Either a red button reset... or maybe better to even do a FULL reset (factory settings) since there's nothing on there anyway! Start fresh. (Push reset.... wait until black screen... then hold down arrow and record on the unit)
Red button reset didn't do it. I'll try the full reset. I didn't have anything I needed record today, so I hope any problems I have I can run into tonight. :)

#19 ·
Slyster said:

I must not be holding these buttons down at the right time or something. I've done it twise now and it never goes into guided setup??

#20 ·
Okay now it's resetting. I held them down the whole time after hitting reset and the record light turned red and it rebooted. Thanks.

#22 ·
carl6 said:
Once you change the remote configuration on your DVR and press OK (or whatever), you then need to slide the switch on the remote to the AV1 (or AV2) position to be able to further control that device.

Carl
I changed it to AV1 or AV2 then slid the switch over and it still wouldn't respond.

As for the reset, how long is this supposed to take?? Been on the big blue DrecTV+HD DVR screen for several minutes.

#23 ·
Okay I've done this reset procedure with holding down the down arrow and record twice. Also found a thread that talked about it. I've seen the record light come on, so I know it did something on the reboot, but none of these times has it brought me back to Guided Setup.

#24 ·
So funny how remote dependent we all are. I'm like how to I get the remote back to deafult if the remote doesn't work. Uhh, then it dawned one me, thats why they have front panel buttons. Go into the menu using those and set it back to DirecTV mode. :nono2:

You know the syndrome where you spend 15 minutes looking for the remote when you could have just gotten up and changed the channel. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.