DBSTalk Forum banner

when you install a line for a directv receiver do you?

• Put a cover plate at the wall and a connector

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • put a cover plate at the wall to cover the hole

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • just put a grommet in

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • just run the cable, no special covers or anything

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • put a connector at the wall, if the customer wants it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • use the existing cable, I don't bother running new line

Votes: 3 15.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
Wall plates get used when it makes sense for the installation. In many cases, there is already an existing cable, or hole from an existing cable, that procludes the use of a wallplate. And some customers prefer their cable come in just above the baseboard or otherwise in a location where a wallplate isn't possible.

Like most things in the install business, it varies depending on the specific situation.

· Icon
673 Posts
I always do what customers want. But before they tell me what to do I explain all the advantages and disadvantages of doing it one way or the other. At the end they usually ask me to do exactly what I intended to. Both are happy.
Very rare cases when customer is stubborn and wants it his way which I consider irrational I just spend extra time and do it his way. No big deal.

· Super Moderator
12,437 Posts
Well, I only do installs for myself. But I do use wall plates and barrell connectors. I do not dispute the technical arguments against doing so, but in real life have never had a problem resulting from their use.

Carl

· Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
carl6 said:
Well, I only do installs for myself. But I do use wall plates and barrell connectors. I do not dispute the technical arguments against doing so, but in real life have never had a problem resulting from their use.

Carl
I also do self install, and also put a wall plate and barrel in. I move my tv from one wall to another from time to time, and having a wall connector allows me to use the correct length of cable inside. (6 ft vs 13 ft)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.