DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
New Member
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to get HD installed for months now, literally since August. I'm at wits end.

I first scheduled an HD install back in August. The wait for an appointment was 1 month. While I waited for the date, I started researching HD more thoroughly and discovered that I was going to receive the old HD-Tivo based box. I cancelled the install appt. then managed to buy the HR20 from BB in September. First install appt. was now mid-October. mid-October finally arrived, but the installer (Ironwood Communications) was a no-show. No call, no show, no nothing. I called and complained, got a few free premium channels and $5 off my bill per month, but couldn't get another appt. any earlier than mid-November.

mid-November finally arrived. Installer came out. Installer said he could only get clear line-of-sight from top part of roof, which required 40-foot ladder. 40-foot-ladder was currently broken, natch. New ladder from "corporate" due in "soon". Next available appt : December 6th.

Wife at this point is thoroughly disgusted. Calls Ironwood, gets escalated to manager. Manager says they'll send a "senior tech." out to take a look and will call back. No call back. Wife calls in again, demands service. Agent says they'll send somebody out on 11/24 (yesterday). "With 40-foot ladder?" asks wife? Agent puts call on hold to confirm with "dispatch." "Yes, with 40-foot ladder" comes the reply from agent.

We wait around from 1-5 yesterday. Ironwood is again a no-show. No call or anything. Wife calls in to ask why they didn't come? "No 40-foot ladder" is the reply. She now asks to be called by a manager, but as yet, no call.

You are now up-to-date. I haven't bothered to call DirecTV customer retention because ultimately, they can't give me what I want, which is installed HD service. We've offered to rent a ladder for them to use, but they say it has to be their ladder.

Anyone have any advice for me? Anyone know anyone at Ironwood in the Seattle area who is actually competent and who actually gives a damn?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
614 Posts
BriWill said:
I've been trying to get HD installed for months now, literally since August. I'm at wits end.

I first scheduled an HD install back in August. The wait for an appointment was 1 month. While I waited for the date, I started researching HD more thoroughly and discovered that I was going to receive the old HD-Tivo based box. I cancelled the install appt. then managed to buy the HR20 from BB in September. First install appt. was now mid-October. mid-October finally arrived, but the installer (Ironwood Communications) was a no-show. No call, no show, no nothing. I called and complained, got a few free premium channels and $5 off my bill per month, but couldn't get another appt. any earlier than mid-November.

mid-November finally arrived. Installer came out. Installer said he could only get clear line-of-sight from top part of roof, which required 40-foot ladder. 40-foot-ladder was currently broken, natch. New ladder from "corporate" due in "soon". Next available appt : December 6th.

Wife at this point is thoroughly disgusted. Calls Ironwood, gets escalated to manager. Manager says they'll send a "senior tech." out to take a look and will call back. No call back. Wife calls in again, demands service. Agent says they'll send somebody out on 11/24 (yesterday). "With 40-foot ladder?" asks wife? Agent puts call on hold to confirm with "dispatch." "Yes, with 40-foot ladder" comes the reply from agent.

We wait around from 1-5 yesterday. Ironwood is again a no-show. No call or anything. Wife calls in to ask why they didn't come? "No 40-foot ladder" is the reply. She now asks to be called by a manager, but as yet, no call.

You are now up-to-date. I haven't bothered to call DirecTV customer retention because ultimately, they can't give me what I want, which is installed HD service. We've offered to rent a ladder for them to use, but they say it has to be their ladder.

Anyone have any advice for me? Anyone know anyone at Ironwood in the Seattle area who is actually competent and who actually gives a damn?
I have read from other posts that members have been able to hire independent installer to come out and get everything working. Make sure you get the Okay from DirecTV and document who you spoke to, then hire a private installer.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,765 Posts
cybersurfer is right...if you have a private installer come in D* will more than likely pay for it to be installed. Just talk to them first to be sure. The last thing they want is to lose you as a customer. In the meantime look into other options like E* and cable and then see if staying with D* is worth it for you.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
614 Posts
Mixer said:
cybersurfer is right...if you have a private installer come in D* will more than likely pay for it to be installed. Just talk to them first to be sure. The last thing they want is to lose you as a customer. In the meantime look into other options like E* and cable and then see if staying with D* is worth it for you.
Thank you and good luck...:)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,614 Posts
Sure makes me glad I bought the HR20($300) and AT9 dish($85) on my own and installed it myself.

Like someone else said - Hook up the HR20 now. You could have hooked it up the day you bought it.

I wish I lived in Seattle. I'd offer to come over and install the AT9 dish for you.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
614 Posts
glennb said:
Sure makes me glad I bought the HR20($300) and AT9 dish($85) on my own and installed it myself.

Like someone else said - Hook up the HR20 now. You could have hooked it up the day you bought it.

I wish I lived in Seattle. I'd offer to come over and install the AT9 dish for you.
:lol:
 

·
New Member
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
glennb said:
Sure makes me glad I bought the HR20($300) and AT9 dish($85) on my own and installed it myself.

Like someone else said - Hook up the HR20 now. You could have hooked it up the day you bought it.

I wish I lived in Seattle. I'd offer to come over and install the AT9 dish for you.
That would be great! But of course, you'd have to bring your 40' ladder. :)

I've been using the HR20 for SD, but since I've only got a single LNB dish right now, that's all I can get. I'm going to try the private installer route, but I'll definitely check with D* first. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks, all, for the advice.
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
18 Posts
Now that you have installed the HR-20 you have now entered into a new contract with DTV. If for any reason directv will not allow a private installer, and they continue to jerk you around to the point that you want to cancel your service and move to another provider that cares for their customers, you will now have to pay the contract cancellation fee.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top