DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
AllStar
59 Posts
Mine took about 3 hours but at least an hour of it was trying to fix a mistake that the guy on the other end of the phone did. (he married an existing card to my HR20 instead of activating the new card) I got 3 months of Starz free but would of preferred that the install take an hour less.

·
Legend
268 Posts
Mine took about 2 hours but the tech said this was his first AT9 and I still dont think he did it right. I dont have mpeg4 yet so I am not sure. All readings on the new sats are low but I am not sure if that means anything.

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
EMoMoney said:
How long should an install take if all cabling is in place and all they have to do is mount the new dish and activate the unit?
Where will the dish be mounted? A simple installation on a wooden side wall can go pretty quick (30-min), but a challenging roof installation or pole mounting (unless the pole is already installed) can take a few hours.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
Day 1 - Installer missed 12-5 window by 15 min. (Ironwood aka mountain sat), Installer was not trained and spent 3 hours and accomplished nothing, wrong tools, ladder, did not understand cabling requirements, could not figure out how to replace the old dish and install new.

2 days pass

Day 2 - New installer comes out and insists that non pen roof mount is required. I questioned this logic as I have a cedar shingle roof not a flat roof. But they insisted that was the only answer because of the size of the new dish. (1 hour)

2 days pass

Day 3 - Installer comes with non pen mount and jerry rigs crazy install of non pen mount. HR20 installed and system working. 2.5 hours. Charged me $40 for the non pen mount, they did not tell me that there was going to be a charge and then complained that I paid in cash.

Day 3.5 - Ironwood installer show up at the house (late afternoon) to do a install. I looked at him confused and told him it was installed, pointed to the dish and he leaves complaining about how his company doesn't know that it is doing.

Day 4 - The next day I go up to roof to inspect what he had done, and it was quite the mess and the way he set up the non pen mount it was causing damage to roof. Addionaly he sawed a limb 90% cut from one of my oak trees, not a small limb but one the size of a mans arm, he left the limb laying on the roof and still partly attached to the tree, additionally he snapped branches from another oak tree with his hands leaving damaged limbs in that tree. Called D* and Ironwood to complain.

3 or 4 days later

Day 5 - Damage claim tech comes out to take pictures 1.5 hours

Day 6 - 2 installers come out spend an hour trying to figure out how to install the new large dish. After listening for an hour of the installers complaining that my prior location for my dish cant hold the new larger dish and they don't know how they can install the new dish, (the old dish is attached to a 6X9 structural beam, I don't know what could be stronger, they maintained it required support struts so it would not work), I pointed out that why don't they just attach it to my Deck on one of the vertical support beams, this generated more complaints bout level ground for their ladder, so I had to walk them down and show them how to do it. This also generated all kinds of complaints about this should be a custom install, at this point I said, I don't want to hear it any more, they are paid to do a standard install, here is a new place to attach the dish just run the freaking lines. They attached the dish to the beam, with no struts that they kept telling me were so critical, ran the lines and installed the HR20 again.

I then had to remind them that they needed to clean up for the last installers mess and take down the damaged limb they left on my roof.

I then asked to have my 40 dollars refunded on the non pen mount, which they told me that they would send me a check, unless I wanted to let them keep it, with that comment I told them to send me the check which I still have not recieved.

Anyone top that?

·
Legend
181 Posts
Mine took about 2 hours for a roof top install (single story roof) including removing the PhaseIII and dropping new cables to the grounding blocks.

·
Godfather
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
litzdog911 said:
Where will the dish be mounted? A simple installation on a wooden side wall can go pretty quick (30-min), but a challenging roof installation or pole mounting (unless the pole is already installed) can take a few hours.
Single family house rooftop, I have the pole installed form the current oval dish I have.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
EMoMoney said:
How long should an install take if all cabling is in place and all they have to do is mount the new dish and activate the unit?
Mine took 2.5 hours, but the old 3 lnb dish had to be taken down and the AT-9 put in the same place. He was "deliberate", but not really slow. He was not in a hurry. (thankfully)

·
Godfather
313 Posts
EMoMoney said:
Single family house rooftop, I have the pole installed form the current oval dish I have.
My roof AT9 install took about 2 hrs. That was installing and aligning the dish and activating the receiver (just that took about 1/2 hr). OBTW I don't think he'll use the same pole. The AT9 requires a ploe with a larger diameter. 2" I think.

·
AllStar
60 Posts
Had fished all cables through the walls prior to my install date and had hoped that things would go smoothly....The switch in the AT-9 turned out to be bad so we had to wait for another installer stuck in traffic to get here with another unit. All in all it took 4 hours, but really could have been completed in about an hour (the installer was so damned happy to see all of the "hard work" done when he got here lol)

He and his 'apprentice' did a pretty decent job in all, but I'm not convinced that the alignment is where it needs to be. My spotbeamed locals are a bit touchy and the signal strengths are quite a bit low...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.