DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am curious if it is possible to install a dish looking out a closed window of an apartment building? I have been told no by a satellite installer, but I was also told a satellite on a screened porch wouldn't work either and it works fine. I am just curious if anyone has experience with this or not, and if anyone knows.

Thanks
Paul

· Registered
12,607 Posts
It depends on the type of glass your apartment has. Some glass is "low e" to block certain wavelengths for energy efficiency, and that will knock out the satellite frequencies. Aiming through a window or porch screen will almost certainly not work. And, of course, you have to deal with people accidentally knocking into the dish.

· Legend
121 Posts
What I have setup in my apartment is I keep the window up, removed the screen and caulked in an 1/8" piece of plexi glass where the screen was. I have a slimline dish looking out through the plexiglass. From my testing the plexiglass seems to lower the signal strength by about 1-5 points.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.