DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
New Member
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new customer. I called D* on Monday, 7-14 to establish new service. The CSR asked me if an installation date of Friday, 7-18 (12-4) was ok. I agreed. I took vacation from work to be home for the installer. At about 1 pm, a lady from Mastec called and said that they had been overbooked and would need to re-schedule the appointment. I was not happy at wasting a day's vacation. Why didn't they call earlier in the week? She couldn't answer. She said that she would re-schedule for Monday, 7-21 (4 pm- 8 pm). She said that she would put me on standby for Saturday (7-19) or Sunday (7-20), and that a manager would call me within the hour. The manager never called. On Monday morning (7-21), I called D*, who then called Mastec to verify that they were actually going to keep this appointment. The CSR said that she talked to the installer and that he would absolutely be there between 4 pm and 8 pm. I left work early to be home by 4 pm. I waited until 8 pm with no call from D* or Mastec. I called D* again, who again called Mastec. This time Mastec said that they don't schedule new installs from 4-8. New installs must be either 8-12 or 12-4. Mastec had no idea why they didn't contact me in advance. (Keep in mind it was Mastec who re-scheduled the first appointment to this 4-8 timeframe). Mastec now said that the earliest they can schedule my 3rd appointment is July 31 -- 10 days from now. They also promised to have a supervisor call me tomorrow. I'm not holding my breath.

Is this type of treatment typical?

It's hard for me to believe that D* can keep any customers with this type of customer service.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how I can get some action from D*/Mastec?
 

·
Guest
Joined
·
1,481 Posts
jwd said:
I am a new customer. I called D* on Monday, 7-14 to establish new service. The CSR asked me if an installation date of Friday, 7-18 (12-4) was ok. I agreed. I took vacation from work to be home for the installer. At about 1 pm, a lady from Mastec called and said that they had been overbooked and would need to re-schedule the appointment. I was not happy at wasting a day's vacation. Why didn't they call earlier in the week? She couldn't answer. She said that she would re-schedule for Monday, 7-21 (4 pm- 8 pm). She said that she would put me on standby for Saturday (7-19) or Sunday (7-20), and that a manager would call me within the hour. The manager never called. On Monday morning (7-21), I called D*, who then called Mastec to verify that they were actually going to keep this appointment. The CSR said that she talked to the installer and that he would absolutely be there between 4 pm and 8 pm. I left work early to be home by 4 pm. I waited until 8 pm with no call from D* or Mastec. I called D* again, who again called Mastec. This time Mastec said that they don't schedule new installs from 4-8. New installs must be either 8-12 or 12-4. Mastec had no idea why they didn't contact me in advance. (Keep in mind it was Mastec who re-scheduled the first appointment to this 4-8 timeframe). Mastec now said that the earliest they can schedule my 3rd appointment is July 31 -- 10 days from now. They also promised to have a supervisor call me tomorrow. I'm not holding my breath.

Is this type of treatment typical?

It's hard for me to believe that D* can keep any customers with this type of customer service.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how I can get some action from D*/Mastec?
Mastec can't help you except to do the install eventually. You need to contact Directv and complain. You should get $200 in programming credits for the two missed appointments. That's been sop for a while.
 

·
New Member
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
raoul5788 said:
Mastec can't help you except to do the install eventually. You need to contact Directv and complain. You should get $200 in programming credits for the two missed appointments. That's been sop for a while.
Thanks. I'll try that.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
21,331 Posts
Welcome to the forums, jwd! :welcome_s

I'm sorry this has happened. I expect DIRECTV will make your situation whole for you based on reports we've seen here.

And DIRECTV is aware of the overall problems with installs and they are working on it. (Size matters and in this case slows things down.)

Cheers,
Tom
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
65 Posts
That really sucks. I actually have the Mastec installers here now setting up service. Hope to hear your situation improve soon!
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,985 Posts
raoul5788 said:
Mastec can't help you except to do the install eventually. You need to contact Directv and complain. You should get $200 in programming credits for the two missed appointments. That's been sop for a while.
My understanding of their policy was that they will offer a $100 credit for a no-call, no-show appointment. As Mastec called to reschedule the first time, I believe the OP would only be entitled to $100 in credits (for the second missed appointment), not $200. I wouldn't mind seeing the OP get $200 necessarily, but as a new DirecTV customer (or soon to be), I wouldn't want to create expectations for him that aren't accurate - that would just lead to more problems/hard feelings.

By the way, jwd - Welcome to DBSTalk! :welcome_s
 

·
New Member
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JLucPicard said:
My understanding of their policy was that they will offer a $100 credit for a no-call, no-show appointment. As Mastec called to reschedule the first time, I believe the OP would only be entitled to $100 in credits (for the second missed appointment), not $200. I wouldn't mind seeing the OP get $200 necessarily, but as a new DirecTV customer (or soon to be), I wouldn't want to create expectations for him that aren't accurate - that would just lead to more problems/hard feelings.

By the way, jwd - Welcome to DBSTalk! :welcome_s
Thanks for the welcome. I talked to installation support about the credit. I mentioned to the CSR that they should credit my account $200 for the 2 missed appointments, and she agreed, but that I would have to call back after installation is complete (whenever that is). We'll see what really happens.

On a side note, I talked to Mastec again. As before, they are completely unhelpful and could really care less whether or not the installation ever gets done.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
221 Posts
I still don't know why D* doesn't have their own techs based in the US. They could do it, it would just take awhile to set it up.
Time Warner, ATT, alot of companies, whether they have a local office or not, have their own techs.
Until they get some, and get them trained, this is gonna keep happening over and over.
It's a shame that the first impression of D* some people get is such a horrible experience....
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
295 Posts
jwd said:
I am a new customer. I called D* on Monday, 7-14 to establish new service. The CSR asked me if an installation date of Friday, 7-18 (12-4) was ok. I agreed. I took vacation from work to be home for the installer. At about 1 pm, a lady from Mastec called and said that they had been overbooked and would need to re-schedule the appointment. I was not happy at wasting a day's vacation. Why didn't they call earlier in the week? She couldn't answer. She said that she would re-schedule for Monday, 7-21 (4 pm- 8 pm). She said that she would put me on standby for Saturday (7-19) or Sunday (7-20), and that a manager would call me within the hour. The manager never called. On Monday morning (7-21), I called D*, who then called Mastec to verify that they were actually going to keep this appointment. The CSR said that she talked to the installer and that he would absolutely be there between 4 pm and 8 pm. I left work early to be home by 4 pm. I waited until 8 pm with no call from D* or Mastec. I called D* again, who again called Mastec. This time Mastec said that they don't schedule new installs from 4-8. New installs must be either 8-12 or 12-4. Mastec had no idea why they didn't contact me in advance. (Keep in mind it was Mastec who re-scheduled the first appointment to this 4-8 timeframe). Mastec now said that the earliest they can schedule my 3rd appointment is July 31 -- 10 days from now. They also promised to have a supervisor call me tomorrow. I'm not holding my breath.

Is this type of treatment typical?

It's hard for me to believe that D* can keep any customers with this type of customer service.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how I can get some action from D*/Mastec?
The answer to your first question is yes, it's typical.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,218 Posts
Just keep in mind that there are plenty of good install stories as well. You just don't hear about those, just the bad ones. Sorry that is happening to you...but you will be very happy with the service once it is installed!

J
 

·
RF Engineer
Joined
·
4,324 Posts
Justin23 said:
Just keep in mind that there are plenty of good install stories as well. You just don't hear about those, just the bad ones. Sorry that is happening to you...but you will be very happy with the service once it is installed!

J
Here's a good install story!!

I got an additional R15 DVR last September using one of the promotions that required a "professional installation". Oh, no I thought, those butchers will be here with their drills to install the second line for the second tuner (it was replacing a non-DVR receiver).

The installer showed up and was real friendly!! I told him I'd like another R15-300 since I already had one of them, and he let me look through his stock of R15's in his truck to find one I liked!! Then I told him that I installed all of my cabling and the dish myself (in the good old days) and was very fussy. He asked if I wanted to install the extra cable run for the additional DVR tuner. I said you bet so he supplied me with a bunch of RG-6 and a handful of connectors and said "have at it"!!

Imagine that!
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
221 Posts
I actually had a good install when I upgraded to HD early this year. He was a young guy, and had to call a supervisor on exact location of the dish, but I appreciate he did that instead of butchering up my house.
When the storm came that about knocked it off the roof a couple months later, the guy who came to relign and fix, was also very good.
It does happen...
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,071 Posts
Justin23 said:
Just keep in mind that there are plenty of good install stories as well. You just don't hear about those, just the bad ones. Sorry that is happening to you...but you will be very happy with the service once it is installed!

J
Justin,

You didn't do anything but read the post.........no need to be sorry.
Of course, if you want to be sorry, just ask the former techs and former DTV retailers and former DTV installation companies why they left..........

Then research why it continues.

Joe
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top