DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Cool Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time lurker, but recent events made me want to post. Does any of this sound wrong or inaccurate?

I was supposed to get my upgrade last Tuesday. The local installer called last Saturday and told me they wanted to delay until Friday. No problem.

Friday arrives, the installer calls at 9:30am, asks where I live and gets upset because I'm not in the same area as the rest of his calls. He makes me his first call and gets to the house about 10 minutes later (obviously I wasn't that far out of his way). Basically, he arrived two hours before my scheduled 12-2pm window, so I thought things were going well. The early time fit into my schedule better.

He asks me what I'm having done, and I say I'm upgrading to HD and I'm having a DVR moved into the bedroom upstairs. He says the move will cost me because it isn't on my order, when I make him look he sees that it is there. He then tells me I'll have to pay $60 to have a second wire run through the wall. He also says he'll have to take the DVR that is currently in that room (it's running on a single line) because it's a lease. I explain I bought it more than a year ago at BestBuy and he says I can keep it.

We go out to his truck and he pulls out a 3 LNB dish. I say I want one of the new 5 LNB dishes so I can get the new HD channels when DirectTv adds them. He says he's seen the schedule lineups and there are no new HD channels planned, in fact, DirectTv isn't even using the new satellites. I say I still want one of the new dishes. He grumbled, but called someone who said he could bring one of the dishes out of my house, if needed.

The guy then takes out some meter that he holds to his eye that shows elevation and says he doubts I'll be able to get the new satellites. I have a two story house and there are some relatively tall trees (about 40 feet tall) that are probably 150+ feet away, on the opposite of my neighbor's yard. He asks me if I can cut them down, as if I had a chain saw hanging off my belt and permission to damage my neighbors property.

I made him go up to the roof to check anyway. He said I probably wouldn't be able to get a signal after taking all of 5 seconds. I asked if he needed any equipment to confirm signal strength and he said it wasn't necessary.

At that point, he tried to get me to go with the 3 LNB dish again. When I refused he said he could try with the other dish, but if it didn't work he wasn't going to put the old dish back up. He then offered to bring out a tripod to mount on the roof to get it higher, but that would only work for the 3 LNB dish, not the five (can you tell he really didn't want to work with the new dish).

In the end, he told me to wait for DirectTV to call me so I could rate the service and then ask them for a second opinion. He encouraged me to ask for the second opinion several times. Then he left.

Later in the afternoon I called DirectTV, upset at the whole process. I didn't want to wait for them to call me because who knows how long that would be. They transferred me to an installation department who then put me on the phone with the local dispatcher here. The DirecTV person was upset that the guy tried to bill me for the DVR installation. She explained to the dispatcher that all DVRs require two lines so a relocate includes any necessary work. The dispatcher put us on hold for 10 minutes (this happened twice) then tried to say I would have to pay extra for a pole mount if needed and DirectTV had to correct the dispatcher again, saying pole mounts are free for line of sight installations, they're only charged if it's owner's preference.

Long story short, the supervisor is supposed to come out and look at my house and call me by tomorrow. I know there's a chance the trees might be an issue, but I'd like some more evidence than, "yup, it looks bad," especially since that neighbor is shooting a 3 LNB dish through the same trees at a lower level. (Which, I know, is indicative of nothing).

My concern is that this supervisor will come out, look for two seconds and backup his installer's opinion (an installer who was proud he only worked the job two days a week) and leave me in the lurch. I don't know if DTV has any other installers who work out of a different company that can assist me. If not, I'll probably be going to Comcast for cable and keeping DTV for football only (if that's even possible.)

·
Hall Of Fame
5,579 Posts
The 5 LNB dish looks at the 99 & 103 satellites 2 degrees either side of the 101 satellite. It also looks at the 110 & 119 satellites that the Phase 3 dish looks at so the only real difference is the 99 degree satellite 2 degrees east of the 101 main satellite. If the 3 LNB dish would work the 5 LNB will also work, but it will require more work on the installers part. Try calling 1-888-237-8327 the office of the president and complain about the lack of service by the local installation subcontractor.

·
Banned
378 Posts
Objectivity said:
Long time lurker, but recent events made me want to post. Does any of this sound wrong or inaccurate?

I was supposed to get my upgrade last Tuesday. The local installer called last Saturday and told me they wanted to delay until Friday. No problem.

Friday arrives, the installer calls at 9:30am, asks where I live and gets upset because I'm not in the same area as the rest of his calls. He makes me his first call and gets to the house about 10 minutes later (obviously I wasn't that far out of his way). Basically, he arrived two hours before my scheduled 12-2pm window, so I thought things were going well. The early time fit into my schedule better.

He asks me what I'm having done, and I say I'm upgrading to HD and I'm having a DVR moved into the bedroom upstairs. He says the move will cost me because it isn't on my order, when I make him look he sees that it is there. He then tells me I'll have to pay $60 to have a second wire run through the wall. He also says he'll have to take the DVR that is currently in that room (it's running on a single line) because it's a lease. I explain I bought it more than a year ago at BestBuy and he says I can keep it.

We go out to his truck and he pulls out a 3 LNB dish. I say I want one of the new 5 LNB dishes so I can get the new HD channels when DirectTv adds them. He says he's seen the schedule lineups and there are no new HD channels planned, in fact, DirectTv isn't even using the new satellites. I say I still want one of the new dishes. He grumbled, but called someone who said he could bring one of the dishes out of my house, if needed.

The guy then takes out some meter that he holds to his eye that shows elevation and says he doubts I'll be able to get the new satellites. I have a two story house and there are some relatively tall trees (about 40 feet tall) that are probably 150+ feet away, on the opposite of my neighbor's yard. He asks me if I can cut them down, as if I had a chain saw hanging off my belt and permission to damage my neighbors property.

I made him go up to the roof to check anyway. He said I probably wouldn't be able to get a signal after taking all of 5 seconds. I asked if he needed any equipment to confirm signal strength and he said it wasn't necessary.

At that point, he tried to get me to go with the 3 LNB dish again. When I refused he said he could try with the other dish, but if it didn't work he wasn't going to put the old dish back up. He then offered to bring out a tripod to mount on the roof to get it higher, but that would only work for the 3 LNB dish, not the five (can you tell he really didn't want to work with the new dish).

In the end, he told me to wait for DirectTV to call me so I could rate the service and then ask them for a second opinion. He encouraged me to ask for the second opinion several times. Then he left.

Later in the afternoon I called DirectTV, upset at the whole process. I didn't want to wait for them to call me because who knows how long that would be. They transferred me to an installation department who then put me on the phone with the local dispatcher here. The DirecTV person was upset that the guy tried to bill me for the DVR installation. She explained to the dispatcher that all DVRs require two lines so a relocate includes any necessary work. The dispatcher put us on hold for 10 minutes (this happened twice) then tried to say I would have to pay extra for a pole mount if needed and DirectTV had to correct the dispatcher again, saying pole mounts are free for line of sight installations, they're only charged if it's owner's preference.

Long story short, the supervisor is supposed to come out and look at my house and call me by tomorrow. I know there's a chance the trees might be an issue, but I'd like some more evidence than, "yup, it looks bad," especially since that neighbor is shooting a 3 LNB dish through the same trees at a lower level. (Which, I know, is indicative of nothing).

My concern is that this supervisor will come out, look for two seconds and backup his installer's opinion (an installer who was proud he only worked the job two days a week) and leave me in the lurch. I don't know if DTV has any other installers who work out of a different company that can assist me. If not, I'll probably be going to Comcast for cable and keeping DTV for football only (if that's even possible.)
GOOD FREEKIN' grief!

ughgh dont get me started. Sounds EXactly what i see on the At-9 aborts and so-called No line of sites from those "kids"..

Last week i saw this : Hsp tech arrives does same thing tries to talk cust out of AT-9 and in essence pushed the At-9 in the Garage and LEFT it. Then proceded to put up a 3 lnb in which he did. Excuse used to cust: "your HD tv in not here yet so i cant install the AT-9"(tell me HOW that matters??) tech then told cust when he gets the HD tv there to call him and he would install the AT-9 for FREE. Cust never heard from again and NO one ever has showed up period Till i got there. = Money paid to me reinbursed to cust By D* after a call to retention and explaining of occurrences.

Summarry= Dtv No Bid contract HSP(home service provider)
& Untrained and scared Non tenured techs with No experience and a construed racket of profit based minds w/o cust remorse.

·
Cool Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
boba said:
The 5 LNB dish looks at the 99 & 103 satellites 2 degrees either side of the 101 satellite. It also looks at the 110 & 119 satellites that the Phase 3 dish looks at so the only real difference is the 99 degree satellite 2 degrees east of the 101 main satellite. If the 3 LNB dish would work the 5 LNB will also work, but it will require more work on the installers part. Try calling 1-888-237-8327 the office of the president and complain about the lack of service by the local installation subcontractor.
How high in the sky are each of the satellites? The way he was descibing it, two of them are right above the horizon line where I live (central New Jersey).

·
Legend
237 Posts
Objectivity said:

I would be extremely mad to put it politely. I honestly probably would've went off the deep end and told the technician to take the Phase III and shove it up his....... I think the lazyness of the installer was deplorable and the fact he openly got upset at the fact that you weren't located in the same "tiny" area as the rest of his calls is wrong also. I would definitely contact D* and pitching a fit. D* is usually pretty good about compensating customers with issues like these.

On the side though, I have a question. If the place you're living doesn't allow dish mounting on the building and a tripod is the only way to go, are they supposed to charge for the tripod? The reason why I ask is because my landloard doesn't allow dishes to be attached to the building so a tripod was used. The installer only charged me $37.50 for supposed customer work instead of the $40 for the tripod. There wasn't any custom work, he put the dish on the tripod, ran the cables up the building and through the windows. I need some input on my original question and correct me if I am in the wrong on the rest.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,579 Posts
Objectivity said:
How high in the sky are each of the satellites? The way he was descibing it, two of them are right above the horizon line where I live (central New Jersey).
I don't know how high the satellites are in N.J. but the satellites would be the same height wether he used the 3 LNB or the 5 LNB.:) If your neighbor is using a 3 LNB dish from a lower position through the same trees it should also work for your AT9 5LNB dish.

·
Cool Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
boba said:
I don't know how high the satellites are in N.J. but the satellites would be the same height wether he used the 3 LNB or the 5 LNB.:) If your neighbor is using a 3 LNB dish from a lower position through the same trees it should also work for your AT9 5LNB dish.
:D :D :D

I guess the question is - are all the satellites at the same "height" in the sky. If I'm currently receiving a SD signal off an "old" dish, does that mean I can get HD? If it's not guaranteed because the locations of the additional satellites is different, can someone give me a general idea of where all of them are?

Basically, if this person points at the horizon at the trees and says you can't get the signal because the satellites are there, I want to be able to know whether he's telling the truth or if I can rely - No, the satellites are there (and accurately point somewhere else completely different.)

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
Objectivity said:
:D :D :D

I guess the question is - are all the satellites at the same "height" in the sky. If I'm currently receiving a SD signal off an "old" dish, does that mean I can get HD? If it's not guaranteed because the locations of the additional satellites is different, can someone give me a general idea of where all of them are?

Basically, if this person points at the horizon at the trees and says you can't get the signal because the satellites are there, I want to be able to know whether he's telling the truth or if I can rely - No, the satellites are there (and accurately point somewhere else completely different.)
The lowest elevation angle from N.J. would be for the 119 satellite, which is seen by the 2 and 3LNB dishes as well as the new one. The elevation value would be around 25 degrees above the horizon. You can check the angles here:

http://www.emantechnology.com/lookangle.asp

·
3 Posts
Since the purchase of my HR20 four weeks ago, nothing but problems. I finally have a working HR20 (I hope).

On September 16 I scheduled an October 13 installation (1 - 5 PM). When 4:30 rolled around and no installer I called DTV. They contacted the installation company who informed us (DTV and me) that the installer's truck has mechanical problems.

No one called to inform me of the cancellation. I wasted a vacation day waiting for nothing. The installation company scheduled me for October 14 (1 - 5PM).

I started calling at 2:30. At 2:30 I was informed that the installation was still on, but no installer had been assigned. At 3:30 I started calling the installation company. Four calls and four hang ups later I had no answers. I contacted DTV who then contacted the installation company.

The excuse this time was over commitment. They refused to do the install and told me to bad.

DTV did little for compensation. Now I have to wait until October 28 for another install.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.