DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
AllStar
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a happy DirecTV customer since day 1. I self installed my first dish in Sept. 1994. I recently upgraded to an HR-20 with the Slim Line dish and the DirecTV installers did a first rate job.

So... I recommend "D" to my buddy who is just now getting interested in home theater and HD. He just bought a very nice Pioneer Plasma and a Sony HTIB. I suggested the HR-20. He had some trouble finding one but finally managed to get one from Best Buy. He just moved into a house that already had a SD DirecTV dish mounted on the under the eave. Should be no problem right?

I visited him the day after the install and discovered the installers moved the dish from the side of the house to a pole mount. We then found he is not receiving ESPN 1, Discovery HD, or HD Net Movies. HBO HD, Showtime HD, HD locals etc. were all fine. Must be an alignment issue. I then discovered the HR 20 has only one coax connected. Customer service at "D" told us the problem is the fact that only one coax is connected. That didn't sound right but nonetheless we spent the next 2 hours routing another coax from the multiswitch to the HR 20. Of course that didn't solve the missing HD channel problem. Another call to "D" resulted in a installation repair appointment. That was the second of 6 and counting installation/repair appointments.

The following is the latest e-mail from my friend:

"They sent another “experienced” technician today. He had 4 months’ experience.

His view is that we can only get regular service from our house. HD service is not possible. He claims they need a 30 degree window (horizontally) across the horizon in order to pick up all the satellites (at whatever angle from the ground is required). The various installation possibilities we presented him with were apparently not suitable. (We do have a lot of trees in the back yard and we certainly can’t cut them all down).

But they tell us all this NOW ?!?!?!?!?!?!

Anyway, my thoughts are to get digital HD cable if we cannot get HD satellite service, otherwise we would be missing many of the features of our new TV, sound system, etc….

A real supervisor is supposed to come and assess our location tomorrow (6th scheduled visit) and give us a “final” verdict. Depending on the outcome, they would finish the hook-up on Friday, or we tell them to forget about it.

What do you think?"

Can anyone confirm a need for a 30 degree view of the horizon? I know the new 5 LNB dishes have to see more satellites, but I thought if you could get SD you should be able to get the newer sats as well.

At this point, I'm sorry I ever recommended "D". The installers in this case have been simply incompetent. If indeed the installation was not feasable they shoud have determined that before trying numerous unsuccessful mounting locations.

·
Legend
162 Posts
As far as the ESPN channel, I don't know why that would be happening. I recall something similar happening quite awhile back for me with my first HR10, but I really don't remember what the deal was. I think it came into the guide eventually, but for some reason it wasn't showing up right away. As far as the 30 degree window, do your SD locals come in on a seperate dish like the 72.5 or something? If that is what the installer is reffering to, that is actually an easy fix, since the second dish does not have to be in real close proximity to the 5lnb one. I personally have a tricky situation in my back yard since the roof profile cuts right between the 5lnb and the 72.5, but placement did fix the problem.
As far as the 5lnb by itself, there is no need for 30 degrees, since the sats are at 99, 101, 103, 110, 119, so that makes a 20 degree window.
If he had a 3lnb up before, it should be able to work from where it was previously mounted.

·
Legend
162 Posts
jdeaton said:
At this point, I'm sorry I ever recommended "D". The installers in this case have been simply incompetent. If indeed the installation was not feasable they shoud have determined that before trying numerous unsuccessful mounting locations.
The weird part is most installers I have ever met usually get the dish pointed first, then start stringing cable. Guess, it all depends on the training they recieved.

·
Registered
8,024 Posts
Knon2000 said:
As far as the 5lnb by itself, there is no need for 30 degrees, since the sats are at 99, 101, 103, 110, 119, so that makes a 20 degree window.
If he had a 3lnb up before, it should be able to work from where it was previously mounted.
Don't forget that 20 degree window allows for zero error. The extra 10 (or 5 on each side) is a safe buffer.

Also agreed that a site survey should, no make that must be done.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that by this time next year all HD will be on the 99 & 103 birds. Will make life so much easier.

·
Super Moderator
12,874 Posts
Also don't forget that the 20 degree difference in orbital positions does not equate to a 20 degree difference in viewing angle from any particular place on the earth. It can vary somewhat based on where you are specifically located and trying to view from.

Carl

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.