DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Mentor
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My initial intent was to just replace the dish and install the H20 HD receiver to be able to see the future high definition channels. I was currently using a powered 5X8 multi switch combining my attic antenna with DIRECTV onto the cable and using a diplexer to separate the signal at the TV. I researched the installation process for MPEG4 and found that you have to use the WB68 multiswitch and cannot combine over the air with the satellite signal. This was a real bummer for me for it would be impossible to reach the TV location in some rooms to run a cable to the over the air antenna. Only thing that I could think to do was to keep my existing satellite dish, multiswitch and receivers and install the second Slimline 3 LNB dish, WB68 Multiswitch and wires to where I wanted the H20 receiver.

Direct told me that for $19.95 they would lease the H20 and install the necessary equipment. The two DIRECTV installers arrived promptly at my schedule 10 AM time and began work. They mentioned that this was there first Slimline Dish installation and this should have raised a red flag for me. I asked them to install the Slimline Dish next to the current dish. They could not but agreed to install it at the same level on the roof close to the old dish. The installer put the Slimline three LNB dish together and set all the adjustments necessary before taking the dish to the roof. The installer worked for the next four hours with a meter connected to the dish trying to tune in the 101, 119 and 110 satellite. You could take a look at my old dish and tell that the altitude and direction was wrong. The previous day I had downloaded video on how to install the dish and asked them to watch it. They told me they knew what they were doing and decline to watch. I went inside and watch the video again to see if I could give them some pointers. While I was inside they decided to move the dish higher on the roof without asking. Now I have holes that have to be patch in a nearly new roof.

To speed up the process I hooked up the new H20 and had it ready for connection. At 5 hours and many telephone calls into the installation they came in and said they had the dish aligned. They then proceeded to hooked up the multiswitch and run four drops down the wall. I already had five drops coming down the wall to supply an HR10-250, Phillips 6000 and Samsung high definition receivers. I planned later to acquire the HR20 DVR and wanted two drops available so I could easily installed the HR20 DVR myself.

Installation finished at 4:30 PM (six and one half hours later) and other then the problem they had aligning the dish I thought the installers were friendly and did a fairly good job. They were now so far behind and call several customers to tell them to reschedule their appointment. I could tell the customers were very unhappy for having to stay home on Black Friday all day waiting on upgrades that did not happen. They rush out leaving a battery charger plugged up in my garage. They return at 9 PM to retrieve the battery charger and said they had one more appointment they had to make. I asked if they had to install a dish on the roof and they said yes.

I really wanted the HR20 DVR but you had to go on a waiting list. Since I already have four DIRECTV TIVO’s I thought I would get the H20 to see what DIRECTV is adding using MPEG4. Later I could make the decision to add the DIRECTV MPEG4 DVR. I suspect it will take some time to work out the bugs on the current HR20 DVR. I am now concerned that the new Slimline dish was installed with only three LNB’s. Is this going to be a problem with receiving the MPEG4 stations?

I am extremely displeased that I cannot multiplex my over the air antenna onto the satellite line using the new system for the over the air signal overlaps the area where the new satellite signal bandwidth is downloaded. I suspect many customers will have to face this issue.

The first week in December the Oklahoma City area is suppose to get high definition local channels. I cannot find any additional channels at this time that my current equipment does not provide. However, I think I am ready for the future depending on whether or not I need three LNB’s or five LNB’s..
Mike

·
Icon
680 Posts
"I am now concerned that the new Slimline dish was installed with only three LNB’s. Is this going to be a problem with receiving the MPEG4 stations?"

The slimline is a 5 LNB dish.

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
Yes, it only looks like 3 because the 99, 101 and 103 LNBs all are behind the same cover (the AT-9 does this also).

Also, the slimline has the 101 LNB at the center, while the Phase 3 has the 110 LNB in the center, so the dishes will not be pointed in the same direction.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.