DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mentor
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I did a search without and it didn't return any results so I thought I would ask you all. My house was built last year and is completly sealed, meaning no ridge vents, etc. The rafters are encased in foam as well as the exterior wall spaces. My question is how would D get the cable into the home? The pre-wiring in the home was brought in through a hole they drilled in the brick, but of couse they only drilled one. Is it a good assumption D would have to drill another hole(s) to bring the line in? I don't see any other way but thought I would ask.

Thanks

·
Hall Of Fame
6,724 Posts
Drill Baby Drill. Sorry, I couldn't resist.:)

If the existing hole is large enough and close to where the dish will be installed, they could just use that one. The lines should be brought into the house at a common location where distribution to the rooms would be made.

·
Mentor
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JD - I do work for an oil & gas company do drill baby drill does fit :lol:

Herd - Thanks. The house is wired centrally and have a media box I guess they call it where everything passes including cat5.

I believe we will opt for the whole house DVR so just one box with 5 tuners. I have been reading on that, it sounds like they still run coax to the slave boxes (whatever they are called) but I'm unclear how the DVR routes the info to them. I would assume it all passes through some type of logic controller.

·
This Space for Sale
7,466 Posts
After they finished, I'd grab one of those cans of spray foam from your local hardware store and make sure the hole is not only sealed from water intrusion, but also insulated to the same level of your installed spray foam (probably and R-21).

·
Hall Of Fame
6,724 Posts
Josh125 said:
JD - I do work for an oil & gas company do drill baby drill does fit :lol:

Herd - Thanks. The house is wired centrally and have a media box I guess they call it where everything passes including cat5.

I believe we will opt for the whole house DVR so just one box with 5 tuners. I have been reading on that, it sounds like they still run coax to the slave boxes (whatever they are called) but I'm unclear how the DVR routes the info to them. I would assume it all passes through some type of logic controller.
In order to use Whole House DVR you need to have regular HD receivers at each location. These are wired to the coax in the same manner and the coax is the network. This way each receiver can watch any satellite channel as well as view recordings from the DVR.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.