DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Cool Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I recently had a slimline dish installed with a 6x8 switch, but am concerned it might not have been done properly. I noticed on my neighbor's new installation that the tech connected a green grounding wire to his switch and when I looked at mine I noticed that there was no grounding wire and just the coax cables connected to the switch. Is this a faulty installation or was this done properly?

· Icon
680 Posts
Kevin1514 said:
Hi, I recently had a slimline dish installed with a 6x8 switch, but am concerned it might not have been done properly. I noticed on my neighbor's new installation that the tech connected a green grounding wire to his switch and when I looked at mine I noticed that there was no grounding wire and just the coax cables connected to the switch. Is this a faulty installation or was this done properly?
Your system technically needs the dish grounded and the coax at the location it enters the dwelling, the switch isn't required also.

· Cool Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mjones73 said:
Your system technically needs the dish grounded and the coax at the location it enters the dwelling, the switch isn't required also.
If I were to look at my dish how could I tell if it was grounded? Also the coax enters my dwelling at 5 seperate locations since all of my wiring is outside.

· Hall Of Fame
1,056 Posts
Kevin1514 said:
If I were to look at my dish how could I tell if it was grounded? Also the coax enters my dwelling at 5 seperate locations since all of my wiring is outside.
Most often it is grounded at the mast.

· Godfather
452 Posts
techrep said:
Most often it is grounded at the mast.
Yes technically the mast should always be grounded with a 17 gauge copper clad steel ground line.

But to be properly grounded there must be a ground line somewhere near the switch. Either directly from the switch to an approved ground source or from a ground block immediately before it. The ground line isn't always green either, thats just the common color for it. Should be 10 gauge solid copper, thats all thats important.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.