DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my installation scheduled for this Saturday and was hoping to get a few questions answered. I have been reading the forums for a while and the information has been great.

Here is what I have currently. Mounted on the rear of the house is a round dish with 1 LNB, there is one cable with 2 lines together going to the side of my house. The house was prewired so there are two cables that run from there to the master bedroom closet where there is a junction box. The splitter is currently installed in the junction box in the master bedroom. I have two lines going to the family room and DVR and one to the bedroom standard box.

Questions:
1. How many cable lines come off the HD antenna with the 5 LNB's?
2. When they say I get 125ft of cable installed for free is that count for each line? So if there are 4 or 6 lines coming from the antenna do they have a cable that contains the needed amount of lines and I get 125 ft of that or am I dividing 125ft by the number of lines?
3. Since they will probably not be able to use the two lines that are already prewired since I am sure it will need 4 or 6, is it better to have them go inside the house right where the antenna is attached to the house, or run around the outside of the house and enter near the master bedroom closet?
4. Are there still just two cable lines from the splitter to the HR20-700?
5. I am also getting the local HD channels ABC, CBS and FOX, no NBC yet for Austin. Are there two channels for each of those, one standard and one HD?
6. I have a 50" Toshiba HDTV that I got because I thought it had the best stretch mode (Theater Wide 1). I watch normail 4:3 broadcasts in that mode. I know I will want to watch the HDTV broadcasts in Full mode. I think I have seen some TV's that switch to the appropriate mode when the channel is changed. Is that a TV feature, a HDTV box feature?

Thanks in advance for any help and answers to these questions.
John

·
Legend in his own mind...
324 Posts
jstranger said:
I have my installation scheduled for this Saturday and was hoping to get a few questions answered. I have been reading the forums for a while and the information has been great.

Here is what I have currently. Mounted on the rear of the house is a round dish with 1 LNB, there is one cable with 2 lines together going to the side of my house. The house was prewired so there are two cables that run from there to the master bedroom closet where there is a junction box. The splitter is currently installed in the junction box in the master bedroom. I have two lines going to the family room and DVR and one to the bedroom standard box.

Questions:
2. When they say I get 125ft of cable installed for free is that count for each line? So if there are 4 or 6 lines coming from the antenna do they have a cable that contains the needed amount of lines and I get 125 ft of that or am I dividing 125ft by the number of lines?
3. Since they will probably not be able to use the two lines that are already prewired since I am sure it will need 4 or 6, is it better to have them go inside the house right where the antenna is attached to the house, or run around the outside of the house and enter near the master bedroom closet?
4. Are there still just two cable lines from the splitter to the HR20-700?
5. I am also getting the local HD channels ABC, CBS and FOX, no NBC yet for Austin. Are there two channels for each of those, one standard and one HD?
6. I have a 50" Toshiba HDTV that I got because I thought it had the best stretch mode (Theater Wide 1). I watch normail 4:3 broadcasts in that mode. I know I will want to watch the HDTV broadcasts in Full mode. I think I have seen some TV's that switch to the appropriate mode when the channel is changed. Is that a TV feature, a HDTV box feature?

Thanks in advance for any help and answers to these questions.
John
I'll answer the ones I can...

1) 4

3) Most installers follow grounding rules, which state that the entry for the 4 cables has to be near the entry for your power, and grounded within a certain distance of that entry.

4) Yes

·
Hall Of Fame
2,014 Posts
2) Each line.
5) Yes.. but not the subchannel arrangement you would see via OTA. 1 SD, one HD.
6) In the case of the HR20 you can do this.. you will have to decide if the hardware in your TV is better at the scaling than the HR20. I have a 57" Sony RPTV (crt-based).. the scaler in the HR20 is better than the set so I only output 1080i from the HR20 and control cropping/gray bars/stretching from there.

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Neil Derryberry said:
2) Each line.
5) Yes.. but not the subchannel arrangement you would see via OTA. 1 SD, one HD.
6) In the case of the HR20 you can do this.. you will have to decide if the hardware in your TV is better at the scaling than the HR20. I have a 57" Sony RPTV (crt-based).. the scaler in the HR20 is better than the set so I only output 1080i from the HR20 and control cropping/gray bars/stretching from there.
5. So there would be a channel 42 that is regular SD Fox and say a channel 742 that is HD Fox?

6. So you have the HR20 always send a 1080i to the TV and let your Sony handle the stretching. My Toshiba does 480P and 1080i, but no 720.

John

·
Hall Of Fame
2,014 Posts
5. no... in atlanta I see two channel 11 entries for NBC.. the channel labels are different.

6. I don't use stretch mode but I would let the HR20 handle it vs. the TV. I have the HR20 set to display gray bars on 4:3 content.

·
Icon
770 Posts
2. My installer had dual cable RG6, which has two cables connected together, much like a lamp cord. It is easily split to install connectors. Where it's visible it looks much better than two cables run side-by-side. I had him use the existing RG6 cables (which aren't rated for 3 GHz) because I wanted to rerun my existing cabling myself. I told him that I needed about 100 feet and he gave me about 110 feet. With the leftover dual cable, I made custom cables to go from the wall plate to my three DVRs which made the wiring mess a little better.

5. Both the SD and HD channels have the same number. In San Diego, the local ABC station is KGTV on channel 10. The HD channel displays as 10 KGTV and the SD channel displays as 10 SD10. I think that the SD part is for San Diego, not Standard Definition, so it will probably be different in your area.

6. I have Native Mode turned on and I let my Mitsubishi HDTV stretch the picture. When I switch from an HD channel to an SD channel, the HR20 automatically changes from 1080i to 480i and the stretch is done by the TV. "Stretch" modes vary by manufacturer. The HR20 stretch stretches the 4:3 picture evenly to fill the 16:9 screen. The stretch on my Mitsubishi varies the stretch from little to none in the center and increases the amount of stretch to each side. Someone moving from left to right will be fat, get skinny and then get fat again. I prefer this to having everybody look fat the whole time.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
jstranger said:
Questions:
These questions and many more are addressed in the HR-20 Installation Tips. The UNOFFICIAL HR-20 Tips and Tricks has some ideas particularly about initial setup. The TiVo to HR-20 Survival Guide is good if you are coming from TiVo.
- Craig

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.