DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mentor
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post here but long time reader. Just have a few questions regarding set up/installation.

Here is my current set up at the moment.

I have 2 satellite dishes because I have an international package on my account.

4 receivers
1 HD DVR - Living Room (HR24)
1 HD Receiver - Master Bedroom (H24)
1 SD Reciever - Bedroom 1 (D12)
1 SD Receiver - Bedroom 2 (D12)

I called DIRECTV this morning because I wanted to get the Whole Home DVR and came out with Whole Home + Cinema Connection Kit + HD Receiver for $99. Is this a good deal? He also gave me $15 credit for 1 year.

CRS told me that the installer will install a new dish because I needed it for the whole home dvr.
I told them that I want to move my HD DVR from the Living Room to the Master Bedroom upstairs, HD Receiver from MB to BR 1, BR 1 SD receiver to BR 3 and the new HD receiver will be in the Living Room. They said they can do that and gave me a pin for $49 just in case the installer will charge me for the relocation of receivers.

How will the installer set all these up? How many cables am I looking at from the dish to the receivers? Currently I have 2 coax running to the HD DVR in living room, 2 more running to the wall panel in the MB that connects the receivers in the MB and BR 1 and I have another cable running to BR 2.

Installation is tomorrow Dec. 30.

Thanks,

·
Hall Of Fame
1,622 Posts
Like VOS said no changes to your dish are needed. CSR's are not usually on top of the technical stuff. They will just install a SWM8 or a SWM LNB and rerun setup on your receivers to config them to the SWM. As far as moving the receivers a round should not be an issue. You can do it yourself before or after the tech configures your system to the SWM setup. I personally would just put the receivers where you want them after the tech completes the job.

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
spartacvs said:
So what was the CRS talking about changing the sat dish? Would there be any issue at all about relocating receivers all over the rooms? Thanks for the reply.
The CSR was "thinking" [or not :lol:] that you'd have the dish upgraded to SWiM, but since there isn't a dish that gets both HD and the international channels, you'll keep the ones you have and they'll be combined in the SWM8, which will replace the WB68 you have now.
As to "issues" with relocating receivers, that would really depend on what you mean by "all over the rooms".
"Normally" this won't be a problem, but if you have crazy ideas of what/where you want them moved to, it might cost to do this.

·
Mentor
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
veryoldschool said:
The CSR was "thinking" [or not :lol:] that you'd have the dish upgraded to SWiM, but since there isn't a dish that gets both HD and the international channels, you'll keep the ones you have and they'll be combined in the SWM8, which will replace the WB68 you have now.
As to "issues" with relocating receivers, that would really depend on what you mean by "all over the rooms".
"Normally" this won't be a problem, but if you have crazy ideas of what/where you want them moved to, it might cost to do this.
Thanks VOS, not really crazy ideas just want to have the DVR in the master bedroom and the new HD receiver to the living room.

Did i get a good deal on this?

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
spartacvs said:
Thanks VOS, not really crazy ideas just want to have the DVR in the master bedroom and the new HD receiver to the living room.

Did i get a good deal on this?
They're giving you $180 in credit over the next year, while charging you $99? Seems like you're coming out $80 ahead.

The CCK most likely will have its own coax, and yes one coax per receiver is all that is needed for dual tuner function on DVRs.

·
Mentor
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
veryoldschool said:
They're giving you $180 in credit over the next year, while charging you $99? Seems like you're coming out $80 ahead.

The CCK most likely will have its own coax, and yes one coax per receiver is all that is needed for dual tuner function on DVRs.
Does the CCK has a wireless connection or this need to be connected to the router?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.