DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a new home with a brick exterior. I will be running all the low voltage wire/cable myself. I am also running a PVC conduit from the exterior to the central electronics hub in my home. This should allow easy access to my Direct TV line(s). My question: what is the best way to have the conduit penetrate the brick exterior? The house is still under contrsuction, no brick has been installed yet. I can do whatever works best with no hinderance. Just not sure what that should be.

· Registered
4,146 Posts
Place the Conduit or have your contractor place it before the foundation is poured or have it placed before the brick is installed - It the same for any thing requires access from the street like water or Electric Service or sewer line

· Registered
24,401 Posts
Yep totally agree. You may want to have two different places of outlet too. One for coax from cable company and phone for internet etc and one near the spot where your satelite dish is likely to be located. I'd really figure that out first.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks ! Totally agree, I have the locations set. Just wasn't sure how the transition from a stud wall to outside of the brick happens. I have a 2 inch conduit that will protrude out past the brick. From there I can attach a PVC box with a pipe heading into the ground for my cable.

· Registered
24,401 Posts
muraco said:
Thanks ! Totally agree, I have the locations set. Just wasn't sure how the transition from a stud wall to outside of the brick happens. I have a 2 inch conduit that will protrude out past the brick. From there I can attach a PVC box with a pipe heading into the ground for my cable.
Yeah sounds good there. Let it stick out extra far and tape the end. Then after they finish the brick you can cut the conduit to length and install the box.

For underground the other option is to have the access panel inside the house and the conduit go out through the foundation and therefor never seen outside. Kind of depends on where this is located in what room IMHO.

· Legend
160 Posts
It's not a big deal to go back and drill the brick either, but much easier to do it like you are now, before the brick goes in.

Also, don't forget to run CAT6 to any locations where you may want to put exterior cameras. You can use POE (Power Over Ethernet) cameras so you won't have to run electrical lines to those locations.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.