DBSTalk Forum banner

Installation using existing dish and wiring+

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  schneid 
#1 ·
I recently moved to a home that already had the dish installed on the roof. From what I understand, it is the 5LNB slimline. The information on the sticker says Andrew DirecTV Multi-Satellite Ka/Ku LNB 99/101/103/110/119 reception. Built-in multi-switch with 4 outputs compatible with all slimline dish antennas.... Lot No. 07-06-06 CCS6610. The dish has four wires coming down and then connected to wiring in the home using barrels. When I connect my receiver, it doesn't connect, so I attempt to change the dish type to Slimline-5 and the switch type to multiswitch. At my previous residences I have hooked everything up on my own, and it seemed to have worked, but these all used the SWM system. I originally tried using the SWM here, but from what I understand, I don't need it, so essentially the cable comes from the dish, to a barrel, and then to the receiver. I am currently trying to connect the H23-600, but will eventually be also connecting the HR24-100. Am I doing something wrong?

#3 ·
The switch type needs to be "multiswitch". Then you can select the dish type, which you already know.

Yes, you'll need B-Band converters on both ports on the HR24. You'll also need two lines going to each DVR if you want to record one show while watching another. SWM systems run both tuners on one line.

#4 ·
The B-bands are only for hd though, right? So it should be working. It currently says that the settings can't be verified after trying to change them. When I just plug in the receiver and let it do it's thing, it says problem communicating with dish. Any suggestions to what might be going on?

#5 ·
zbslatc said:
The B-bands are only for hd though, right? So it should be working. It currently says that the settings can't be verified after trying to change them. When I just plug in the receiver and let it do it's thing, it says problem communicating with dish. Any suggestions to what might be going on?
Re run the satellite setup from scratch. Make sure you are getting signal in the "dish pointing part". Check all the connections and try to follow each wire. A single run direct from the sat to the receiver doesn't leave much room for errors or problems. Also try one of the other wires. Make sure those 4 wires don't feed a switch hidden somewhere as well.

if it were me, I would buy a swm 8 off ebay or elsewhere and use those 4 lines coming from the sat to feed the swm8 switch. Make sure you get the correct power inserter as well as well as the appropriate green label splitters for your setup as well.

Or better yet, use the movers connection and let a tech come out and figure out what is wrong. For some reason they are giving sweet deals to people who negotiate with the movers connection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.