DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Legend
Joined
·
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a few issues:

- I was told I couldn't use a diplexer at all, even with the HR10-250? I swear you could but would hate to have them set it up and be wrong.

- They told me they couldn't run any extra lines to my tvs because there wasn't a way to do it from the attic.

- they could put up the dish but couldn't bolt anything to the roof and couldn't put it on the stucco. said that with the added weight, it would start to slip fairly soon and I would have to send someone out to tighten things up or I would get a signal loss.

I canceled for now since I am not sure what my best options are.

I could wait until Fox is offered in my area and replace both HR10-250's I have at the same time and not use OTA at all. I could try to find a way to run lines to each room (probably need to get another opening to the attic since you can't get to the 2nd peak in my roof from my attic opening right now). If a diplexer does work, I could use one for the HR10-250 and live without Fox in HD on the HR20 until it is offered or trying to get a line installed for the HR20 for use when the OTA tuners are activated.

kind of disappointed things didn't work out this weekend.
 

·
Legend in his own mind...
Joined
·
324 Posts
heathramos said:
I had a few issues:

- I was told I couldn't use a diplexer at all, even with the HR10-250? I swear you could but would hate to have them set it up and be wrong.

- They told me they couldn't run any extra lines to my tvs because there wasn't a way to do it from the attic.

- they could put up the dish but couldn't bolt anything to the roof and couldn't put it on the stucco. said that with the added weight, it would start to slip fairly soon and I would have to send someone out to tighten things up or I would get a signal loss.

I canceled for now since I am not sure what my best options are.

I could wait until Fox is offered in my area and replace both HR10-250's I have at the same time and not use OTA at all. I could try to find a way to run lines to each room (probably need to get another opening to the attic since you can't get to the 2nd peak in my roof from my attic opening right now). If a diplexer does work, I could use one for the HR10-250 and live without Fox in HD on the HR20 until it is offered or trying to get a line installed for the HR20 for use when the OTA tuners are activated.

kind of disappointed things didn't work out this weekend.
There has been discussion on this board about using diplexers, and the concensus is that you can do it, in a very specific manner, but that things might change once the new birds go active (things we can't tell yet, like insufficient isolation, etc).

You would have to place the diplexers on the receiver side of the BBC (little grey box). The signal between the dish itself and the BBC is in the same frequency range as OTA signals, but the frequency goes up on the output side of the BBC.

Downside is that since the frequency goes way up, the attenuation per foot of coax goes way up too. Depending on the distance, you may end up having to put your BBC many cable-feet away from your receiver, and thus carrying a higher-frequency signal farther may end up costing you signal strength. If that is enough to cost you a usable signal, no one knows yet (since the birds aren't using much if any of that freq space yet).

As for the rest of your install, sorry I can't help you there. I ended up having to go with a pole mount on my slimline.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well...it looks like they just added Fox in HD in the Sacramento Area so if I can't use a diplexer and if I can't run another line to the tv's, I could always ask to replace both of my hd tivos at the same time.

not sure about the cost
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
63 Posts
heathramos said:
I had a few issues:

- I was told I couldn't use a diplexer at all, even with the HR10-250? I swear you could but would hate to have them set it up and be wrong.

- They told me they couldn't run any extra lines to my tvs because there wasn't a way to do it from the attic.

- they could put up the dish but couldn't bolt anything to the roof and couldn't put it on the stucco. said that with the added weight, it would start to slip fairly soon and I would have to send someone out to tighten things up or I would get a signal loss.

I canceled for now since I am not sure what my best options are.

I could wait until Fox is offered in my area and replace both HR10-250's I have at the same time and not use OTA at all. I could try to find a way to run lines to each room (probably need to get another opening to the attic since you can't get to the 2nd peak in my roof from my attic opening right now). If a diplexer does work, I could use one for the HR10-250 and live without Fox in HD on the HR20 until it is offered or trying to get a line installed for the HR20 for use when the OTA tuners are activated.

kind of disappointed things didn't work out this weekend.
Sorry you didn't get your programming or new receiver. Maybe the installer was trying to say standard installation doesn't cover the extra custom work you want. You can certainly pay extra to have the extra work done. Try hiring an independent installer (not HSP) and requesting to get reimbursed from DirecTV. I've read some members have been able to get private installers to do the custom jobs. Make sure if you elect to hire a private installer, to get permission from DirecTV first, and note who you speak to.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,014 Posts
heathramos said:
I had a few issues:

- I was told I couldn't use a diplexer at all, even with the HR10-250? I swear you could but would hate to have them set it up and be wrong.

- They told me they couldn't run any extra lines to my tvs because there wasn't a way to do it from the attic.

- they could put up the dish but couldn't bolt anything to the roof and couldn't put it on the stucco. said that with the added weight, it would start to slip fairly soon and I would have to send someone out to tighten things up or I would get a signal loss.

I canceled for now since I am not sure what my best options are.
Sounds like you are the victim of a lazy installer. If you want the HR20 call directv back and report the installer..

my installer did a roof mount for the slimline, ran new lines to the service entrance in the basement and fed everything from there. He was sloppy, but he didn't refuse to do the work.
 

·
Beware the Attack Basset
Joined
·
23,867 Posts
heathramos said:
- they could put up the dish but couldn't bolt anything to the roof and couldn't put it on the stucco. said that with the added weight, it would start to slip fairly soon and I would have to send someone out to tighten things up or I would get a signal loss.
A coworker of mine just went through this. He asked DirecTV for a ground pole mount and they said that it was included. Needless to say, the installer wouldn't do the ground pole mount.

DirecTv says that my coworker will have to arrange for the pole mount and send them the bill.

See if you can't find someone locally who is authorized to do DirecTV installs and see if they can't do a complete install for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,050 Posts
harsh said:
A coworker of mine just went through this. He asked DirecTV for a ground pole mount and they said that it was included. Needless to say, the installer wouldn't do the ground pole mount.
Odd, My installer told me that a ground pole mount was the "Only option for the AT9".
 

·
Legend in his own mind...
Joined
·
324 Posts
RunnerFL said:
Odd, My installer told me that a ground pole mount was the "Only option for the AT9".
I asked D* to ask the installer to call before coming, since I'm renting a house and the landlord basically said "no drilling holes in the siding, roof or brick to mount a dish". So I knew I needed to go with a pole mount.

Installer called, said that he actually tries to get people to go with a pole mount, that they handle it as a part of a standard HD install, and that they could do it the same day. Huge weight off of my shoulders. I thought I was going to have to have the pole ready for them.

The install went fine. Really good work on the dish, multiswitch... the inside cabling was a little sloppy but hey, it's a rent house.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
770 Posts
heathramos said:
I
- they could put up the dish but couldn't bolt anything to the roof and couldn't put it on the stucco. said that with the added weight, it would start to slip fairly soon and I would have to send someone out to tighten things up or I would get a signal loss.
I'm in San Diego and my previous three-LNB dish (was) and the new AT9 dish is mounted to a 2x12 bolted through the stucco with lag bolts into the studs. The 2x12 was mounted by a previous owner because he extended the second-story deck railing along the wall for some reason. When I rebuilt the deck this summer I couldn't see spending the extra money and time on the extra railing, but I left the 2x12 on the wall specifically for the AT9 dish to be mounted on. It was also very easy to mount the multiswitch on the board. You only need it to be about 24" long. Paint the board the same color as the stucco and it won't look much different than a dish mounted directly to the wall.

I'm having a problem with the 119 LNB and the tech that came out to troubleshoot that problem tried to shake the dish and said "Wow, that's a really solid installation!".
 

·
New Member
Joined
·
2 Posts
heathramos said:
I was told I couldn't use a diplexer at all, even with the HR10-250? I swear you could but would hate to have them set it up and be wrong.
My current setup would say otherwise! I have an OTA antenna on top of the house diplexed into one of the feeds to my HR20. It is then split back out at my entertainment center and split out to my HR20 (doesn't do a lot of good though...thanks D*), my TV, and my DVD recorder. Have had absolutely no problems with this setup and the HR20 for the month I've had it (and the H20 before that).
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
4,585 Posts
prairiegoat said:
My current setup would say otherwise! I have an OTA antenna on top of the house diplexed into one of the feeds to my HR20. It is then split back out at my entertainment center and split out to my HR20 (doesn't do a lot of good though...thanks D*), my TV, and my DVD recorder. Have had absolutely no problems with this setup and the HR20 for the month I've had it (and the H20 before that).
This is only supposed to work until the two new satellites go up next year. At that time, the antenna feed will conflict with the signal from the new birds with overlapping frequencies.

GH
 

·
Legend in his own mind...
Joined
·
324 Posts
Groundhog45 said:
This is only supposed to work until the two new satellites go up next year. At that time, the antenna feed will conflict with the signal from the new birds with overlapping frequencies.

GH
If you do standard diplexing, yes. It all depends on where you place the BBC. If the diplexers are both on the receiver side of the BBC, most people are saying we won't have problems.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,682 Posts
harsh said:
A coworker of mine just went through this. He asked DirecTV for a ground pole mount and they said that it was included. Needless to say, the installer wouldn't do the ground pole mount.

DirecTv says that my coworker will have to arrange for the pole mount and send them the bill.

See if you can't find someone locally who is authorized to do DirecTV installs and see if they can't do a complete install for you.
The pole mount is extra only if the customer requests it when there is LOS elsewhere [ roof / side ].
 

·
Beware the Attack Basset
Joined
·
23,867 Posts
Mertzen said:
The pole mount is extra only if the customer requests it when there is LOS elsewhere [ roof / side ].
He's scheduled for a December 23rd install of an H20 and he spent several hours lining up a ground pole installation on his own dime. He can't get reimbursed by DirecTV until after the installation, so he's still looking forward to tilting at that windmill.

In his case, he is renting a stucco with a tile roof, so they approved the ground pole with the order. The installer is the one that refused.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top