DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, DirecTVs installer is here and is telling me he can't install the new Slimline on the roof where my old dish is (too heavy?) and that I don't need a new multiswitch or new wires. What gives? Can't he brace it? What do I need to request for with regard to wiring and splitters?

· Legend
231 Posts
Hey if that installer is still there I would get on the phone with Directv and tell them what he is telling you and then put him on the phone with D*. I`m sure that will solve your problem.
Let us know if it works

· Legend
125 Posts
My HR20 was installed about 2 weeks ago. He removed my old dish and installed the new slimline dish. The new slimline dish is installed with braces. He also replaced my old multiswitch with a new zinwell multiswitch (i believe 6x8)

I think the installer is pulling wool over your eyes.

· Legend
129 Posts
Can the Slimline dish be installed on a roof? I'm looking at the install directions from solidsignal.com and they don't illustrate a roof installation. They show an exterior wall, a wooden rail, a chimney, a ground pole, and an exterior corner mounting configuration.

There's a lot of mention of installers not wanting to put the new dish where the old one was ... do these guys just not want to go up that high?

spamstew said:
My HR20 was installed about 2 weeks ago. He removed my old dish and installed the new slimline dish. The new slimline dish is installed with braces. He also replaced my old multiswitch with a new zinwell multiswitch (i believe 6x8)

I think the installer is pulling wool over your eyes.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
In most cases... the dish can be installed on a roof.

But a lot depends on the roof type, material, ect.

· Legend
231 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

It also depends if your installer is lazy and trying to take a shortcut in order to get the job done as quick as possible.
Do not let him get away with it.

· Legend
129 Posts
My roof is asphalt shingles.

My house faces due south and my current 18" dish is mounted on an exterior side wall pointed at about 160 degrees. I'm guessing the Slimline dish can't be mounted here because it's too wide (it would make sense to make the mast bend more, but anyway), so I am just trying to anticipate where my installer will want to put the new dish. The roof is certainly the best aestethic place I can think of. I guess I wouldn't mind a pole but it seems like the dish would be too low to the ground and more vulnerable to line-of-site issues (my neighbor has a tree that will have many leaves come spring).

Earl Bonovich said:

· RBR Hitit tillit bricksit
266 Posts
I have an asphalt shingle roof, the installer never questioned putting in on the roof. It is right beside my:barf:Hughesnet dish which is huge!

It has two brace legs on it so it wont even wiggle.

The installer is BSing you big time!

Make him do it right or send him packing and call D* and demand another installer!

· Legend
129 Posts
I'm not actually the one who started this thread, so I'm not getting BS'ed by an installer ... yet. I'll be sure to make sure I get my dish installed on the roof.

Brantel said:
The installer is BSing you big time!

Make him do it right or send him packing and call D* and demand another installer!

· Legend
125 Posts
fancydancy said:
My roof is asphalt shingles.

My house faces due south and my current 18" dish is mounted on an exterior side wall pointed at about 160 degrees. I'm guessing the Slimline dish can't be mounted here because it's too wide (it would make sense to make the mast bend more, but anyway), so I am just trying to anticipate where my installer will want to put the new dish. The roof is certainly the best aestethic place I can think of. I guess I wouldn't mind a pole but it seems like the dish would be too low to the ground and more vulnerable to line-of-site issues (my neighbor has a tree that will have many leaves come spring).
My Slimline with braces were installed on my asphalt roof. As long the installer is able to find a suitable substrate for the anchors, he should be able to install the slimline dish.

· Legend
129 Posts
Too Heavy, Ha! Definite BS.
My old dish was installed on the roof (where it belongs) and the installer that recently installed the Slimline didn't want to go on the roof for whatever reasons.
I told him you're not putting that dish on a pole on my property,This isn't the Hillbillie Burbs. He ended up putting it on the roof, BUT I had to bring it up to him so he didn't have to get back down then go up again. It wasn't heavy at all. LAZY!! To add onto that, he left holes in my roof, then I had to call for another installer when I lost signal after a windy day, only to find out that he only used 2 bolts instead of the 4 supplied for the mast, so the wind spun it around.

I can't say that they're all bad because I've had some real good installers, but most of them are just too lazy, and want to get to the next stop on the list getting as many done in a day to bring home the bacon$.:nono2:

· Godfather
436 Posts
When my Dish was installed the installer refused to install it where the old one was. I had previously reinforced this location so new it would be fine. I called D* they got on the phone with the installer and he installed where the old dish was.

6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, he left after he realized his ladder has not tall enough. We talked to his local office and they agreed to send out a field trainer (and a 40 foot ladder) to get it on the roof later this week. We will see.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.