DBSTalk Forum banner

Installer in OKC

3K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  RobertE 
#1 ·
Hey All, I have an appointment through D* to have my new customer install on Monday 9/28/2008. Does anyone know where I can find out who is doing the install? Can I call D* CSR and get this information? I want to find out what Equipment they are going to install.

#2 ·
Call them and they can give you the information. Also you dont have to find out what you will be getting make a request for the equipment you want instead.

#3 ·
I was looking for the old thread on Premier Communications, the old installer who was shut down, but can't find it now. The new name is in there but can't remember who it is at the moment.

Thing is, there is activity now at the old DTV/Premier building down in I-240, so maybe the new installer took over the facility. I'll try and recall the new installer outfit's name.

#5 ·
joshjr said:
Call them and they can give you the information. Also you dont have to find out what you will be getting make a request for the equipment you want instead.
Thanks Josh! Do I make the request of equipment through the installer or D*?

Anyone know if they are starting to carry the HR22 in OKC area? I know from other posts that the Dallas/FTW area is and North Texas... you know how things eventually filter in to OKC

#7 ·
bronsonlewis said:
Yeah, I've seen that building and wondered if that was an independent installer, thanks for the info dettxw. Can I call them and ask them if they have my workorder?
Not seeing a direct number for them, maybe you could just stop by there, I-240 & Bryant.

#8 ·
If you need the phone number, you can call D* and the CSR can get it for you. If they say they can't, tell them you know someone else who was able to get it from a D* CSR.

Once you call JP&D, if they can't tell you what equipment you will get, see if you can talk to a installation manager. Be friendly and tell them something positive. Like you want to be sure that you get a specifc model to ensure you will be a happy customer after the install. Last thing they want is you upset and calling D* to complain.

Did a quick search after posting and this may be the place:

JP&D Digital Satellite Systems
3800 E I 240 Service Rd
Oklahoma City, OK 73135
(405) 813-7600

#10 ·
Alright, so here's the skinny

I called the HSP and they told me that they didn't know what models of receivers that I would be getting and I couldn't make a request through them. Referred to DirecTv

Called DirecTv, they tell me they wouldn't know the models until the installer calls to activate them, as my account is in a Pend status until they are activated.

Call the HSP back and inform them of this, and they chuckled. I asked if I can at least place a request on the work order, so she let me. I requested the HR22 and the R22. She then told me I could call in the morning of the install, once the installer has been assigned so that we can talk directly to him so he pulls the right equipment.

I guess I will be calling back Monday morning to make sure of all this.

I just wish there was an easier way to make sure I get the lastest receivers.

#11 ·
You will get whatever the installer is issued that morning that matches your work order. At this point, they have no idea which installer will do your installation or what equipment they might have on hand on that day. That's why they don't track equipment by model, only by type (1 HD-DVR, 2 HD receivers, 1 SD DVR, etc.).

There is no process in place anywhere in DirecTV to specify a particular model.

#12 ·
bronsonlewis said:
Alright, so here's the skinny

I called the HSP and they told me that they didn't know what models of receivers that I would be getting and I couldn't make a request through them. Referred to DirecTv

Called DirecTv, they tell me they wouldn't know the models until the installer calls to activate them, as my account is in a Pend status until they are activated.

Call the HSP back and inform them of this, and they chuckled. I asked if I can at least place a request on the work order, so she let me. I requested the HR22 and the R22. She then told me I could call in the morning of the install, once the installer has been assigned so that we can talk directly to him so he pulls the right equipment.

I guess I will be calling back Monday morning to make sure of all this.

I just wish there was an easier way to make sure I get the lastest receivers.
I spared you all the gory details of my experience, but that is exactly how my install happened. Don't be surprised if a subcontractor calls you on installation day and says he has HR21's and he is leavng from his home. Then you will have to call the HSP again and try to get them to agree to sending HR22's. They will probably have to reschedule, because they have to get that equipment from their warehouse.

Keep in mind that you are going to live with the equipment for 2 years. I felt a couple more days of waiting was worth it in the long run for me. I am glad I have the additional space for recording on the HR22 and didn't have to mess with or spend extra $$ for an external SATA drive. From what I have read, the external drive seems to cause some recording problems, so I would avoid that.

#14 ·
dettxw said:
How about bribery?
At least show up at the HSP early in the morning with a big box of donuts. ;)
Lol, not a bad idea. I had planned on tipping the Installer anyways, he will get a bigger tip if he's there with the right equipment...

No, what I'll do is call early in the morning, around 7:00 AM, hopefully someone will be there, and make sure I get the right equip. If I have to wait, I have to wait.

If it's a subcontractor, can I ask him to swing by the HSP to pickup the right equip? Depends on where he is located I would imagine.

#15 ·
Hmm...
The HSP is a subcontractor - to DirecTv. Don't know if the installers are then subcontractors to the HSP or employees. Seems like the prior HSP (Premiere) actually employed the installers.

#17 ·
dettxw said:
Hmm...
The HSP is a subcontractor - to DirecTv. Don't know if the installers are then subcontractors to the HSP or employees. Seems like the prior HSP (Premiere) actually employed the installers.
HSPs (Home Service Provider) and AFS (Alternate Fulfillment Source) are large subcontractors who get contracts directly with DirecTV. There are maybe 12-15 companies nationwide that are HSP and/or AFS.

The HSP is the "main" provider for DirecTV in the area they are assigned. If they are too busy, DirecTV will open the area to an AFS, who will come in and get about 35% of the HSP's work (and usually the best work; installs and upgrades). HSPs hate AFSs coming into their areas.

Anyway, HSPs are *supposed* to have 80% of their work done by "in-house" techs, who are employees of the HSP. The other 20% is done by subcontractors of the HSP. In reality, most HSPs are lucky to get 50-60% in-house, so there are lots of subcontractors.

#18 ·
beavis said:
You probably won't get an R22, AFAIK they're only installing those in 72.5 markets. Seeing as how the R22 is mpeg4 compatible and the SD locals from 72.5 will be moving to 99/103 in the coming months.
According to other posts, they are only giving R22 in markets where the Local HD source is 99/103 but I may have read that wrong.

Well, whatever they bring, I guess I'll have to deal. I really don't mind getting an HR21 and just using an external HDD, but it'd rather not right away.

I guess I can test it and see how many shows I'll record and decide what to do from there. I'm an easy going guy, just thought it would be nice to have the latest and greatest.:p

#19 ·
dettxw said:
Hmm...
In the Dallas area, the HSP is Mastec and when the installer called he said he worked for Platinum Communications. When I spoke with the manager with Mastec, he told me for a SWM install, he would have to send one of his installers. So those examples lead me to beleive that the HSP uses subcontractors for installations.

#20 ·
So I called in this morning to check the status of my install.

I asked the rep if I am the first on the list for installation, she said there's no way to tell.

Then I asked if the installer would call me, she said "Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't"

I asked if there was still a note on my account about the type of receivers I requested. She said "there is, but there's no guarantee on what type of receiver the installer will bring out."

I don't know if I like this wishy-washy type of answer from the HSP.

I guess we'll see what happens now and I'll let you guys know later today what happens. Some members have called D* after the install to complain that they didn't get a new receiver and had one sent to them.

#22 ·
bronsonlewis said:
So I called in this morning to check the status of my install.
I asked the rep if I am the first on the list for installation, she said there's no way to tell.
I guess we'll see what happens now and I'll let you guys know later today what happens. Some members have called D* after the install to complain that they didn't get a new receiver and had one sent to them.
I'm curious, did you ever get an HR22 installed?

#23 ·
thespaceghost said:
not wishy-washy, just honest. Most installers never pay attention to what model are on their trucks.
DirecTV's policy is that any HD-DVR is as good as another; it doesn't matter if they bring a new HR22 or an old, reman HR20. Installers get issued whatever came in that week, and don't have the option of picking what they want. Some installers may only get issued equipment once or twice a week, and get their jobs emailed or faxed in the morning.

There are a lot of reasons why they don't track down to the model number.

#24 ·
Okay, so here's what happened. (Sorry It's taken me so long to get this together, i've been kinda peeved about the situation)

Installer shows up in the morning. 9:00AM for an 8:00AM - 12:00PM showing... not bad. He has a trainee with him on his first day. So two guys total.

I go over with the installer the situation on what he's going to be installing and what rooms, I notice on his work order, my note about the receivers was actually attached in the "Installer Notes" section. "Great!," I'm thinking, as surely he would have read it and made sure to bring the two receivers I requested.

So I ask him about it.... "Nope, I don't have any of those in my truck."

Well ****! So, I calm down and decide "Whatever" They go installing a slimline and SWM splitter. They run my cables and get everything going.

So then I see the Truck leaving... But one guy still there. I ask him about it.
"Well, I don't have any SWM capable SD DVR's in my truck, so I had the trainee go back and get an R16, but i'm going to install this HR21 and regular receiver while he's gone"

WHAT?! After we had discussed the fact I requested an HR22 and R22 that he didn't have in the truck, now he's going to tell me that he didn't have the right SD DVR compatible with SWM? Did he even see what receivers I had ordered to begin with? Did he even look at the work order in the first place?

So I ask, well, while he's gone, can I go ahead and have him pickup an HR22 and R22? "Actually, I didn't ask if he had a cell phone or anything, him being new"

Well crap.... I guess I was destined for old product from the get go. I've Played with the HR21 And R16, and they will suffice for now.

My Gosh, does everyone run into this problem?

#25 ·
bronsonlewis said:
Well crap.... I guess I was destined for old product from the get go. I've Played with the HR21 And R16, and they will suffice for now.

My Gosh, does everyone run into this problem?
Yes this happens all the time, so you have to be persistent if you specify equipment. I believe if you read my prior posts, you would have already been prepared for what happened. If you really wanted the HR22 and SWM, you should have called a supervisor and sent the installers packing.

RACJ2 said:
I spared you all the gory details of my experience, but that is exactly how my install happened. Don't be surprised if a subcontractor calls you on installation day and says he has HR21's and he is leavng from his home. Then you will have to call the HSP again and try to get them to agree to sending HR22's. They will probably have to reschedule, because they have to get that equipment from their warehouse.

Keep in mind that you are going to live with the equipment for 2 years. I felt a couple more days of waiting was worth it in the long run for me. I am glad I have the additional space for recording on the HR22 and didn't have to mess with or spend extra $$ for an external SATA drive. From what I have read, the external drive seems to cause some recording problems, so I would avoid that.

#26 ·
How many damn times does it need to be said that installers have ZERO control over the stock they are issued.

If all the warehouse has is HR21s & R16s thats all he will be issued. A CSR in a cube in a call center has no idea what that warehouse has in stock right then and there, let alone at some point in the future.

Special request notes don't mean a thing as far as equipment goes.

Damn this gets old. :mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.