DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
AllStar
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No line of sight, he claimed. Oh well... I've been with D* since 1999 and installed everything by my self. Seems to me that installer gave up way too easy ("don't want to waiste my time" he said). My second HR20 is going back to BB. Anybody knows how good 622 really is?

·
DBSTalk Club Member
311 Posts
If you currently have a 3-LNB dish and all three spacecraft have good signal levels you have a good line of sight now. Did the installer refuse to put the dish on your roof or some other location?

·
AllStar
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well my second HR20 is currently connected to my 3LNB. The peak signal (now) is around the high 90's and about high 70's during the summer. I suggested him to install it on my roof but basically he refused to do so. He even tried to convince me to buy an OTA from him (for locals). I'm not sure about his awareness of D* migrating all HD channels to Mpeg4. is this really what they call "professional installation?"

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
F1Fan said:
Well my second HR20 is currently connected to my 3LNB. The peak signal (now) is around the high 90's and about high 70's during the summer. I suggested him to install it on my roof but basically he refused to do so. He even tried to convince me to buy an OTA from him (for locals). I'm not sure about his awareness of D* migrating all HD channels to Mpeg4. is this really what they call "professional installation?"
No, I'd ask D* for a new installer to come out. In the vast majority of the cases, "where there's a will, there's a way", especially if aesthetics are not an issue. (they aren't for me, every antenna is a thing of beauty to me)

·
AllStar
92 Posts
Call D* and make them aware of the situation, I'm sure they won't be happy knowing that one of their contractors is not living up to their end of the deal. That's a bunch of crap, if he doesn't want to do hard installs why is he working as an installer? If I refused to do hard jobs at my place of employment, they'd have someone else doing my job and I'd be looking for a new one.

Lowry

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
F1Fan said:
Thanks Hasan, do you think I need to call the local installer or D* CSR?
I'd call Customer Retention and make your beef (be sure to indicate that the installer seemed disinterested in looking at any alternatives, and share the "waste my time comment"

Retention: 800 834 9081

Support: 800 347 3288

Good luck, be firm in your dissatisfaction with the installer, but polite.

·
AllStar
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know it's bunch of crap. He wanted the easy way, I currently using a temporary RG6 from other room for SAT2 input and he's not interested in running a second RG6 upstairs and started showing me "his price list" for running extra cable and whole bunch of crap. What a waste of my time, can't skip work too often.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
F1Fan said:
Retention nunber you gave doesn't work, Hasan.
Strange, I just double checked it 800 824 9081 from the Installation Tips (Unofficial)

If that doesn't work, call the regular number and ask to speak to a Customer Retention person

·
AllStar
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hasan said:
Strange, I just double checked it 800 824 9081 from the Installation Tips (Unofficial)

If that doesn't work, call the regular number and ask to speak to a Customer Retention person
824..... been dialling 834-9081!:lol: Thanks for your correction.

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
As has been many's experience, installers make money by getting a lot of jobs done in a day. More "challenging" installs cost them money in their mind. That's probably why he showed you his price list. Make sure when you call D* you're also very specific about every detail of the job, including where cables will run etc. so it's on the work order (if you haven't already done that with D*).
Good luck.

·
AllStar
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Canis Lupus said:
As has been many's experience, installers make money by getting a lot of jobs done in a day. More "challenging" installs cost them money in their mind. That's probably why he showed you his price list. Make sure when you call D* you're also very specific about every detail of the job, including where cables will run etc. so it's on the work order (if you haven't already done that with D*).
Good luck.
Thanks but I did specify everything.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
F1Fan said:
Called the Retention and they're going to send a second tech for a second opinion. I'm affraid the tech that was just here might lose his job.
Don't forget to look at alternative sites...nothing is out of the question (just don't get prior approval from your wife, better to apologize than ask for approval) :rolleyes:

Suggested line: "Gee honey, I didn't think you'd object to THAT location" (Be sure not think ahead, I don't want you to lie.)

Seriously, if you're determined and examine a host of alternatives, including a pole mount somewhere in the yard, etc., I'm sure (unless you're just plain unlucky) you will find something that is doable. (horrible word, eh?)

·
AllStar
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Roof is a good site, I think. I've done several LNB installs, he's just don't want to go up there. Why go the extra mile if he's gonna make the same amount of money, right?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
I started a thread yesterday (which I am about to reply to so check it out and hopefully reply in there as well) with almost the identical scenerio. If you were in NJ I would say we had the same guy.

Anyway I have the supervisor coming out for a second opinion. D* told me that they are supposed to offer a second opinion. My guy told me no line of site and about 3/4 of the people that responded to my thread here agree that he should have been able to mount it on the roof with good line of site.

I swear if i did this at my job I'd be fired in less than 5 minutes.

F1Fan said:
Roof is a good site, I think. I've done several LNB installs, he's just don't want to go up there. Why go the extra mile if he's gonna make the same amount of money, right?

·
Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
F1Fan said:
Somebody (I'm guessing his supervisor) will come for a second opinion. These guys are ruining D* reputation.
There is a lot of truth to that. There are some great ones and many good ones, but far too many poor installers out there; and it certainly does impact their reputation.

But many people expect "free" installs...and they get what they pay for, alas.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.