DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
AllStar
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No line of sight, he claimed. Oh well... I've been with D* since 1999 and installed everything by my self. Seems to me that installer gave up way too easy ("don't want to waiste my time" he said). My second HR20 is going back to BB. Anybody knows how good 622 really is?

·
AllStar
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well my second HR20 is currently connected to my 3LNB. The peak signal (now) is around the high 90's and about high 70's during the summer. I suggested him to install it on my roof but basically he refused to do so. He even tried to convince me to buy an OTA from him (for locals). I'm not sure about his awareness of D* migrating all HD channels to Mpeg4. is this really what they call "professional installation?"

·
AllStar
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know it's bunch of crap. He wanted the easy way, I currently using a temporary RG6 from other room for SAT2 input and he's not interested in running a second RG6 upstairs and started showing me "his price list" for running extra cable and whole bunch of crap. What a waste of my time, can't skip work too often.

·
AllStar
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hasan said:
Strange, I just double checked it 800 824 9081 from the Installation Tips (Unofficial)

If that doesn't work, call the regular number and ask to speak to a Customer Retention person
824..... been dialling 834-9081!:lol: Thanks for your correction.

·
AllStar
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Canis Lupus said:
As has been many's experience, installers make money by getting a lot of jobs done in a day. More "challenging" installs cost them money in their mind. That's probably why he showed you his price list. Make sure when you call D* you're also very specific about every detail of the job, including where cables will run etc. so it's on the work order (if you haven't already done that with D*).
Good luck.
Thanks but I did specify everything.

·
AllStar
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Called the Retention and they're going to send a second tech for a second opinion. I'm affraid the tech that was just here might lose his job.

·
AllStar
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Roof is a good site, I think. I've done several LNB installs, he's just don't want to go up there. Why go the extra mile if he's gonna make the same amount of money, right?

·
AllStar
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
bwaldron said:
There is a lot of truth to that. There are some great ones and many good ones, but far too many poor installers out there; and it certainly does impact their reputation.

But many people expect "free" installs...and they get what they pay for, alas.
Seriously, I'd install the dish my self. But D* told me it's not an option. I would've been done weeks ago and enjoying my HD Locals. A little too late now, it's kind of cold up on the roof! :lol:

·
AllStar
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
bpayne said:
This statement really caught my attention. Could you share any details as to why this is so?
Leaves on the trees. But never really lost signal completely, except when it snowed really hard or heavy thunder storm. Normally the signal lost will last about an hour max. When that happened the signal strength will be at around the 40's.

·
AllStar
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
apco25 said:
I made the switch to E*, after being a customer for 6 years at D*. At least call them and see what they can do (E*). I got the HR20 and called them to install the 5 LNB, it was a month out. I called E* just to see how long it would take to get an install and they came the next day! I made the switch after they (D*) made me wait for a month (I wanted to install myself as well). Also, I heard that E* had better HD content and and a better DVR.

I have to say the 622 is superior in every way than the HR20. Better HD content, better PQ (on both HD and SD). Last night I recored 3 shows at once while watching 2 shows all at the same time.

I even Payed the fee to get out of the two year contract that D* would not budge on. I'm really glad I switched.
Hmmm....... :confused:

·
AllStar
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
bpayne said:
If you have impaired line of sight, I can completely understand why the installer refused to do your upgrade.

I'm sorry you feel that he took the easy way out. He saw an impaired system, he didn't feel he could fix it (<- this is open to debate, he may have been able to relocate the dish but without pictures I can only speculate) and if he can't do the whole job, he wouldn't be able to run the other coax and expect to get paid for his time. Him handing you the price list seems to be the proof indicating that.

Hopefully, the 2nd opinion survey will come out and find an option for you. If there's a way to get it done, they will find it. The supervisor has no motivation to back up the tech if they tried to get away with something- and if it was an innocent mistake due to lack of experience then the installer would most likely not get into trouble either.
That's why I asked him to install the new Dish on my roof, that's the best site with less obstruction. The only reason I installed the old dish where it is was because I don't have tall ladder, and I'm affraid of height. If he is too, then he needs another job.

·
AllStar
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
taz291819 said:
Don't feel bad, a co-worker had a similar experience with his installer two weeks ago. The guy came out with the AT-9 and H20, but said due to a large tree in his yard, he didn't have line of site for the AT-9.

The installer left the AT-9 in his garage, and said once he had the tree removed, call his cell number and he'll come back and install it for only $40.

When my co-worker told me this, the red-flag went up. I asked him how his signal was with the current Phase III dish, he said everything was in the 90's.

I then asked him where the big tree was in relation to his Phase III if looking from behind the dish. His reply, the tree was to the right of the dish (or more West-ward). We then looked up his house on Google Earth, and he should me the where the dish was and you could clearly see the tree.

The tree looked like it may block a satellite at the 140-degree position, it was nowhere near 99 or 103.

Anyway, he called retention, they sent another tech last Thursday, and installed the AT-9 where the Phase III was without a problem. The tech said the original installer would probably be fired because of what he did (or didn't do), and because he tried to charge him for a return revisit.
Thanks for the information. If the second installation doesn't go well, either I ask him to leave his AT-9 dish, or I'll call E*. God help me decide.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.