DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
New Texan
11,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you know, I have a new HDTV. Right now, I don't have a receiver hooked up, so I'm relying on an indoor antenna. And, I found some sub-channels that are not carried by DirecTV that have some older programming such as:
  • KCRA 3.2 - MoreTV
  • KXTV 10.2 - LiveWell
  • KSPX 29.2 - qubo
  • KSPC 29.3 - ion Life
  • KTXL 40.2 - Antenna TV
  • KQCA 58.2 - ThisTV
Now, the catch. Two of the local channels broadcast on VHF (KVIE on 9, KXTV on 10), so I would need a UHF/VHF Antenna. I also ran a TVFool Analysis of my location. Any suggestions on a good outdoor antenna?

Attachments

·
MRVing
4,117 Posts
The CM3679 at Solid Signal seems good enough to a little overkill for your area.

I use a CM2016 (good up to 35 miles for both VHF & UHF?) in my attic but I'm only 13-15 miles away from the transmitters vs your 34 or so.

·
Geek til I die
9,821 Posts
Mark Holtz said:
Yes, that would be a pretty sweet antenna, except that Sacramento has two VHF-Hi channels. :(
Check out the Winegard HD7694P Platinum HD Series Antenna, or one of its bigger brothers. It is an old fashioned time tested log periodic vhf/yagi uhf design, but without the huge low band vhf elements you probably dont need unless you are trying to get those low band-low power analogs.

A channel master 4228 or similar multiple bow tie has some reception on vhf-hi, and added a 18" "whisker" to the feedpoint improves upon that quite a bit.

·
New Texan
11,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Prior to the digital transition, there were two stations that were broadcasting on VHF-Lo: KCRA-3 (NBC) and KVIE-6 (PBS). KCRA is now on UHF-35, while KVIE is now on VHF-Hi 9. So, no VHF-Lo needed, but VHF-hi is for ABC and PBS.

·
Old Guys Rule!
5,053 Posts

·
New Texan
11,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice antenna, and it's definitely on my wish list now. I figure that it is just a matter of time before my DMA experiences a retrans dispute with a local station, and it's good to have a backup in place.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,965 Posts
The Channel Master 3016 is a proven design that has been around for a very long time.

Bears an eerie resemblance to the 1976 Radio Shack Color Supreme VU-90.

·
Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery
3,148 Posts
I still wish I could find a solution for Philadelphia's VHF-Lo and Hi stations. Can't get onto my roof to get the antenna where it needs to be.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,965 Posts
RasputinAXP said:
Can't get onto my roof to get the antenna where it needs to be.
Find someone who can. Nobody said you can't spend a little money on getting good OTA signal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.