DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this earlier but discovered it may have been in the wrong place.

New to the site/forum—great resource, knowledgeable posters. First post/question/issue--- Installing a new video surveillance system using 8 channel DVR (network compatible—video server) with video out for TV. We also have assorted Directv receivers (including HD DVR). Ideally I would like to stack the Directv receivers allowing Directv receivers to be available to any tv in the house without the necessity of a box at each set as well as incorporate the surveillance output on a designated channel on any tv in the house. Question(s) involve: the use of video modulators; do I need to match the modulator to the number of DTV receivers (example-6 boxes 6 channel modulator plus add for surveillance output)? My experience related to modulators is limited but have used a low pass filter however was advised DTV isn’t compatible with low pass filter—I thought I had a grasp on the project at the beginning but am losing confidence—advice?

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
A tech friend of mine was doing a job where a cust wanted D* and one cable channel. He told me they were going to use a SWM switch where that one channel would feed into the OTA side on the SWM and then fed out into the OTA side at the IRD. Now this might also work with your setup. But then I am not sure if all your IRDs have OTA capability.

4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I found a couple other links involving the swim switch but I'm still trying to figure out how the swm switch would work in my application--I found the a diagram of a SWM switch and assume you are suggesting instead of using an output for a receiver I could us it for the camera(s)?

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
mmehner said:
opps--I think I just made the connection---were you using a diplexer with the SWM?
I'm not 100% up to speed with OTA into SWM. But the OTA part in your case would be replaced by the output from the surveilance. Read one of the multiple OTA+SWM threads here they should give specifics.

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
First of all, there are no HD-capable consumer-level modulators, so understand that your entire system is going to be SD only.

To use 6 receivers plus the security DVR, you're going to need 7 modulators, or at least, 7 modulator channels (some can modulate several channels each). The modulators either need to be agile (meaning you can change the output channel), or you need to buy fixed-channel mods that use a range of channels/freqs that are currently unused.

You simply hook up each receiver's outputs, via RCA cables, to the input of a modulator. The outputs of the modulators go into a "splitter", which you'll use in reverse to create a "combiner". The combined output is then amplified (if necessary), then split and distributed throughout the house.

The most difficult part is the control of the various devices. Most likely, you're going to need a custom programmable remote control system that allows you to address multiple devices individually using IR repeaters, which get "stuck" to the IR "eye" on each receiver. These systems aren't that hard to figure out, but they aren't cheap either.

As for getting sat signal to the receivers: just run 4 lines from the dish into the room where the receivers, mods, amps, etc. will go, and use multiswitches as needed.

· Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
I'm using a number of Channel Plus 3025 dual channel modulators to modulate both SD DirecTV signals as well as a number of security cameras. Each of the 3025's has a built in distribution amp (multiple outputs) as well as an "antenna/cable" input. You can feed the output of one into the input of another to combine multiple of them. You can also use an external splitter/combiner to combine multiple of them (or a mix of both methods).

For your HD televisions, you will want a local HD receiver or DVR to get HD, but you can also connect the composite output to a modulator and put that into your mix so you have an SD picture from the HD unit at remote television locations.

When using multiple agile modulators, you need to space the channels every other channel, so for example (using cable channeling), you could have 65, 67, 69, 71, 73, 75, 77, ... up to 125.

If you have any significant OTA signals at your location, some of those channels may not be available to you. You'll just have to test and experiment.

I keep my DirecTV DVRs at each TV location, but back-feed the modulated signal to a central point for mixing.

Carl

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.