1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· AllStar
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My setup is

AU9 to 4 splitters to 2 WS68's.

MS1 has HR20a (both lines) =2
MS2 has HR20b, 2 R15, H20 =7

I had moved the cables around while troubleshooting a bad LNB, which was replaced. Then I started noticing a new problem, in the evenings MS2 lost several transponders on 101, the signals would be

0 95 0 0 0 96 0 98 0 96 ....

Basically signal on 2, 6, 8, 10 with the pattern repeating each line. This happens to all boxes on MS2. They worked fine during the day. I put 2 and 2 together this morning. I checked a box on MS2 this morning and had the problem. I went and powered up HR20a (on MS1) from standby, not a cold start, and the signals came back on up on all boxes on MS2. HR20a is the main TV and when we turned it off and went to upstairs for the night it created the problem for the other boxes.

This morning I moved one of the cables from MS1 to MS2 to, so its 1 and 8 now. The previously empty spot on MS2 was the third connection. Now everything seems to work fine, no matter if HR20a is in standby or not.

I have a work around now so its not a big issue, I just wanted to see if there was a logical issue that would explain the behavior.

· Registered
8,035 Posts
Sounds like you might have the 18v lines crossed.

Check to make sure that both outputs from each splitter goes to same set of inputs on each switch. It's quite easy to get lines mixed up when working with a rats nest of cables left by having to use a paralleled switch setup.

· Hall Of Fame
2,136 Posts
chris8796 said:
My setup is

AU9 to 4 splitters to 2 WS68's.

MS1 has HR20a (both lines) =2
MS2 has HR20b, 2 R15, H20 =7

I had moved the cables around while troubleshooting a bad LNB, which was replaced. Then I started noticing a new problem, in the evenings MS2 lost several transponders on 101, the signals would be

0 95 0 0 0 96 0 98 0 96 ....

Basically signal on 2, 6, 8, 10 with the pattern repeating each line. This happens to all boxes on MS2. They worked fine during the day. I put 2 and 2 together this morning. I checked a box on MS2 this morning and had the problem. I went and powered up HR20a (on MS1) from standby, not a cold start, and the signals came back on up on all boxes on MS2. HR20a is the main TV and when we turned it off and went to upstairs for the night it created the problem for the other boxes.

This morning I moved one of the cables from MS1 to MS2 to, so its 1 and 8 now. The previously empty spot on MS2 was the third connection. Now everything seems to work fine, no matter if HR20a is in standby or not.

I have a work around now so its not a big issue, I just wanted to see if there was a logical issue that would explain the behavior.
Looks like you are missing the odds + some 0's on the spot channels. That would point to a problem with the 13v no tone cable on that multiswitch. I'd guess either crossed cables of some sort or possible a bad cable on that connection.

If you simplify it back down to just the multiswitch that is having problems with no splitters or the second multiswitch does it work?

· Registered
1,063 Posts
I think you don't have enough power going up the cable to power the multiswitches and the LNB. Due to your splitters passing power both directions, all 4 of your devices (2 MS + LNB + multiswitch in AU9) are all tied together for power, so turning on or off any device in your house can affect how much power is headed upstream.

Does your system work fine as long as all your receivers are on (or, say, at least one one each multiswitch)? If so, you may be in a position where you need to put a power inserter near your multiswitches where it can power the setup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.