DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Godfather
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
next to media share, i think the remote scheduler is the coolest 'extra' feature. i don't use it often, but when i do, it's like magic! and it was working great until a few months ago when my hr20 died. i grabbed my spare hdvr2 out of storage and hooked that up while waiting for my hr21 to arrive. at that point, d* did something screwy to my account. don't know what, but it brings us to today...

so, when i schedule a show via my blackberry, it now records in the bedroom instead of the living room. i called d* and the csr said that the bedroom was now the primary receiver (part of the screwiness i mentioned). so, she made the living room primary, i thanked her and we disconnected.

thursday after work, i met a friend for coffee. dang, i wanted to watch mccain's speech, good thing i fixed that whole mobile scheduling thing. i set the recording and got my confirmation e-mail..sill going to the bedroom! so, when i got home, i called d*.

first csr didn't even know what a mobile phone was (okay, i exaggerate), but said she'd xfer me to the internet tech dept. oops, she just put me back in queue. second csr knew what i was talking about, apologized that i was misdirected, and correctly sent me to the internet dept. i spoke with a pleasant, knowledgeable guy named ross. for an hour. we went through every setting and he tried a few things from his end. ultimately, he escalated the call to engineering. i did receive a follow up call, which is good, but they're working on it.

okay...who's ready for the kicker? the extra piece of this that makes the whole thing super-duper extra trippy? ready...?

like i said, my remote recordings are currently going to the bedroom. guess which receiver i have in the bedroom. give up? hdvr2. yup, you heard me, a 3 year old (?, thereabouts) hughes, tivo-based hdvr2. i never watch that box. and while i know that it's still receiving updates, i didn't even know that box was anywhere near capable of handling that kind of request.

ross, the nice csr, told me that the remote scheduling is in the engineering phase on that box and had no idea it was live. well, they can take it out of engineering and go live, it works! well, except for the whole taking-precedence-over-my-hr21 thing.

anyways, i've never had a bad customer service experience with d*, and this is no exception. so far, they seem willing to do whatever it takes to get this resolved. i'll keep y'all posted.

· Godfather
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OMG!!!

so, i'm in the bedroom, cleaning up some 2 and 3 minute recordings i have while i've been testing the remote scheduling. when i get done deleting that junk, i see a new folder...'recently deleted.' i go in and there's all the recordings i've deleted with options for 'recover' and 'permanently delete.'

i like my hr21 just fine, but i forget sometimes how awesome tivo is. not trying to start a flame war or anything, but tivo is hands down superior. d* got a late start, and is trying, but for my $5 a month, i would have preferred they stick with tivo.

i must be bored...

edit: ah, i see. i don't really follow the tivo stuff anymore as i super-rarely watch in the bedroom. thx for the info.

· Registered
5,915 Posts
Well that recover feature was just added a few months ago, too late IMO as many users have moved on.

Tivo is nice, but not superior in my book, there are many more things that should just be there that the HR2x has (like selecting which show to stop recording when you have a conflict, network features, and on demand).

· Godfather
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the grass is always greener, eh?

i would ask this (again, not trying to start trouble, just musing...): how many blank recordings did you get on your tivo? how many freezes/lockups? say what you will about tivo, it works.

YMMV...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.