DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have HR24-100, HR21-100, R22-200, R22-100, R16-300. Worked flawlessly for months after SWM installation. Around the time of the Menu change, began dropping signal - pixellating. Called Tech out... he replaced SWM 3LNB on dish and Power adapter, and made a few adjustments. Better... but still problem. Symptoms best observed by using Signal Strength screen. Signal drops to 0 and then back to 95%+. The symptom travels from one receiver to another. Today it's the Bedroom, last night it was the Basement. There is obviously an imbalance somewhere. Any ideas?

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. If it jumps from receiver to receiver I would start by looking at the wires from the dish to the splitter.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Exactly. My dish went ungrounded for 4 years. Luckily it wasn't the tallest thing on the roof (the aerial is, and it's grounded)

·
Icon
843 Posts
Stuart Sweet said:
Exactly. My dish went ungrounded for 4 years. Luckily it wasn't the tallest thing on the roof (the aerial is, and it's grounded)
uh.....that ground is NOT for lightning strikes, dont know why everyone thinks that.....its for static discharge only due to clouds and other weather related activity, ground wire WAY too small for lightning.

Go ahead if you think you are right, put a HUGE ground wire on that baby directly to ground, i for sure you that lightning WILL strike it then, when otherwise it wouldnt have struck at all......if you do this you are guaranteed to lose all your directv equipment....

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
Jodean said:
uh.....that ground is NOT for lightning strikes, dont know why everyone thinks that.....its for static discharge only due to clouds and other weather related activity, ground wire WAY too small for lightning.

Go ahead if you think you are right, put a HUGE ground wire on that baby directly to ground, i for sure you that lightning WILL strike it then, when otherwise it wouldnt have struck at all......if you do this you are guaranteed to lose all your directv equipment....
Once again, "partial" truths.
"Code" requires a large ground wire from the ground block.
Lightning will burn through anything it wants to, "but" a large ground wire and a low resistance to ground, "will help" reduce the damage.

·
Icon
843 Posts
thats fine that code requires it......but go on saying how "its for lightning" or "good thing the dish wasnt the highest thing on the roof because it wasnt grounded"...... this wording has everyone trained that the ground is for lightning strikes.

we started grounding gas meters here for local code, again not for lightning strikes, pretty sure your screwed if lightning hits your gas meter, grounded or not

thats my point, not the code

Also the point in if you ground it well enough, lightning has WAY more of a probability to STRIKE said grounded item.

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
Jodean said:
thats fine that code requires it......but go on saying how "its for lightning" or "good thing the dish wasnt the highest thing on the roof because it wasnt grounded"..

thats my point, not the code
Once again, I guess you have no clue why "it's code".
It
Code:
 sure as hell isn't for static.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Look at the ground block (itself) while your at it - moister will get in there over time - the DC power Sucks it in.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Yes, Because it allows the experts to add to their post counts-Check the ground block -(both sides) for Corrosion. ;)

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
texasbrit said:
question - i count 10 tuners and you say you have an swm lnb, which only supports 8 ??????
ding! Ding! Ding we have a winner !!!!!!!!!!!

:d

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.