DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· DBSTalk Club Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It may be worth starting a poll to determine if there is any relationship between environment and lockups. One parameter that comes to mind is temperature. It would be interesting to detail the internal temperature of lockupped units immediately following a RBR. Comments/observations?

121 - One lockup on 0x10b

· Legend
206 Posts
124 - locks up every 4 or so days - RBR does not reset it only hard pull and wait.

· Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
I placed a fan on mine and reduced temp from 129 to 109.

No difference in lockups.

Took fan off, still no difference.

The differences in the number of lockups has always depended upon the software version.

· Registered
5,952 Posts
Don't waste your time with a temperature poll.

This has all been hashed out before.(at least 3 times in the last 16 weeks since I've been here) There is no correlation between box issues and temperatures < 130...and 99% of the people who have responded in the past (quite a few...probably 50 or more) report below that, the most common number being 127.

As with any electronics, the cooler the better (short of being outright frigid), but temperature just isn't an issue with the HR20 unless you have it in a poorly ventillated cabinet or in a stack of equipment...and you can always check it. If it's around 127, you're fine.

· DBSTalk Club Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hasan said:
Don't waste your time with a temperature poll.

This has all been hashed out before.(at least 3 times in the last 16 weeks since I've been here) There is no correlation between box issues and temperatures < 130...and 99% of the people who have responded in the past (quite a few...probably 50 or more) report below that, the most common number being 127.

As with any electronics, the cooler the better (short of being outright frigid), but temperature just isn't an issue with the HR20 unless you have it in a poorly ventillated cabinet or in a stack of equipment...and you can always check it. If it's around 127, you're fine.
It is still a valid question in the context of a new software release, especially one such as 0x10b, which adds significant, processor-intensive, features. More intensive processing = more heat.

· Registered
5,952 Posts
The design criteria for allowable temperature don't change with software update. Temperature sensitivity is a hardware issue, not firmware (unless you think they moved the temperature protection shut down point). The fact remains that 127 is a very acceptable temp reading, and trying to correlate problems to a perfectly normal temp reading is little more than running down a blind alley.

There are certainly problems with the HR20, but temperature (short of a poor installation) isn't one of them. There have been over a 100 posts on the topic...read them...no correlation, no causality, nada.

All that said, I'm a temp freak. I have my own homebrew speed controlled fan on the top of the box, and I sit at 102 +/- 2 degrees pretty much all the time. My starting temp without fan was 127. I measure the temp two or three times a day. (told ya I was a temp freak):)

I've had the box about 14 weeks. I have had very few, and only minor problems with the HR20.

· DBSTalk Club Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hasan said:
The design criteria for allowable temperature don't change with software update. Temperature sensitivity is a hardware issue, not firmware (unless you think they moved the temperature protection shut down point).
Actually, your statement is not correct. A unit's temperature can change under different firmware loads. Different firmware loads can cause a given processor to "work" harder and generate more heat. That excess heat then has to be dissipated. If the unit has insufficient heat dissipation capabilities, heat buildup results. Whereas the design criteria of the unit has not changed, a new firmware load could load the processor to the point where it generates sufficient excess heat to violate the unit's design criteria.

So, again - I believe my question is valid. You are certainly free to your own opinion.

· DBSTalk Club Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hasan said:
All that said, I'm a temp freak. I have my own homebrew speed controlled fan on the top of the box, and I sit at 102 +/- 2 degrees pretty much all the time. My starting temp without fan was 127. I measure the temp two or three times a day. (told ya I was a temp freak):)

I've had the box about 14 weeks. I have had very few, and only minor problems with the HR20.
Then you have no experience as to how the unit functions at higher operating temperatures. Perhaps others do.

· Registered
5,952 Posts
paul01463 said:
Then you have no experience as to how the unit functions at higher operating temperatures. Perhaps others do.
Geez, what part of the 100+ posts didn't you read? Almost none of them had fans, and had the 127 or so temps...you can have the last word ...this is silly.

· Registered
31,115 Posts
hasan said:
Geez, what part of the 100+ posts didn't you read? Almost none of them had fans, and had the 127 or so temps...you can have the last word ...this is silly.
Hasan....it appears that either this guy just doesn't get it or wants to debate this somehow (not worth it). :rolleyes:

Bottom line, temp in the 127-130 range is fine, and its posted as such 100 times all over the place on this board. If you have a rack-mounted setup, it might be of value to have some kind of ventillation, but as Hasan and many others have said...the HR20 works normally and just fine in that temp range.

End of story.

· DBSTalk Club Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hdtvfan0001 said:
Hasan....it appears that either this guy just doesn't get it or wants to debate this somehow (not worth it). :rolleyes:

Bottom line, temp in the 127-130 range is fine, and its posted as such 100 times all over the place on this board. If you have a rack-mounted setup, it might be of value to have some kind of ventillation, but as Hasan and many others have said...the HR20 works normally and just fine in that temp range.

End of story.
I'm not arguing that the unit does not function correctly at <=130 Degrees. My question is, rather, are there operating conditions (other then restricted airflow; load for instance) that can cause an increase to >130 Degrees and if so, how does the unit behave.

So, roll your eyes if you wish - I do get it.

· Registered
31,115 Posts
paul01463 said:
I'm not arguing that the unit does not function correctly at <=130 Degrees. My question is, rather, are there operating conditions (other then restricted airflow; load for instance) that can cause an increase to >130 Degrees and if so, how does the unit behave.
If the unit is functioning properly, it should stay in the 127-130 degree range. That said...if someone (like me, for example) watches 6 straight hours of recorded material (like this weekend on 2 occasions), the temp should still not exceed 130 degrees if there is proper ventillation around the unit. It behaved just fine, thank you.

Good luck with your particular setup.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.