DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally have joined the modern world and got an HD tv. I am going to upgrade to a Hopper from my 625. I do not have a wired network connection to the tv. Does anyone use some kind of device to use a wireless connection for internet connectivity?

·
Icon
913 Posts
I had a service tech here in August on another issue but we discussed internet connection too. He recommended a wired connection. Or at least do a wireless connection test before you committ. He said he's seen wireless work great in some homes and barely work even in the same room in others.

I can appreciate his comments now. I recently had a terrible wi-fi connection to an iPhone using a major brand router reputed to have good range. Fortunately the seller agreed to a full refund on the router. I have another brand recommended by an IT professional ordered. It's supposed to have even greater range. All I need is 30 feet but the first one wouldn't work outside the room. Worse yet, the manufacturer refused technical support without a large fee even though I had only bought and installed it 24 hours earlier.

·
Hall Of Fame
7,478 Posts
You should have a couple of options -

One is the before mentioned WiFi. If you have good Wifi coverage where your Hopper is - great.

The other is the Ethernet over Powerline. The VIP receivers (and I would imagine the Hopper as well) have this built in - all you would need is the other end to connect to your router. The flip side - if you're going to put your DVR on a UPS - it needs to be one that can/will pass that through.

·
Legend
533 Posts
scooper said:
You should have a couple of options -

One is the before mentioned WiFi. If you have good Wifi coverage where your Hopper is - great.

The other is the Ethernet over Powerline. The VIP receivers (and I would imagine the Hopper as well) have this built in - all you would need is the other end to connect to your router. The flip side - if you're going to put your DVR on a UPS - it needs to be one that can/will pass that through.
Hopper does not have Ethernet over Powerline built in as the VIP receivers did. You can use EOP with a two adapter kit. A wide selection available at Newegg.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.