DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Icon
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While watching ATT TV on my Samsung 4K I begun thinking if this looks this great in 4K imagine what it would like in 8K. I ask around and was told this is true. If so would have brought one two years ago and why are the tv maker not exploiting this fact?

·
Hall Of Fame
3,243 Posts
While watching ATT TV on my Samsung 4K I begun thinking if this looks this great in 4K imagine what it would like in 8K. I ask around and was told this is true. If so would have brought one two years ago and why are the tv maker not exploiting this fact?
Probably because there are no movies or TV shows available in 8k yet.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
Probably because there are no movies or TV shows available in 8k yet.
The studios and theaters only recently adopted 4K (4K cinema, not UHD-1). Until the movie theaters upgrade again, there's no real use for 8K.

The secret with 4K is HDR and WCG and that doesn't get any better with 8K. In fact, you can theoretically get it with HD and that may prove enough to further stink adoption of higher resolutions. This is especially important as streaming plays a bigger part in everyone's viewing.

·
Icon
1,279 Posts
The studios and theaters only recently adopted 4K (4K cinema, not UHD-1). Until the movie theaters upgrade again, there's no real use for 8K.

The secret with 4K is HDR and WCG and that doesn't get any better with 8K. In fact, you can theoretically get it with HD and that may prove enough to further stink adoption of higher resolutions. This is especially important as streaming plays a bigger part in everyone's viewing.
Even on a 100" screen? I think 8K is will only be noticeable in screens that are very large. Even on a 85" QLED, 4K looks good but I think 8K would help.
Movie theaters, it would be great.
Now wait until phones start using, 8K.

·
Mentor
482 Posts
If so would have brought one two years ago and why are the tv maker not exploiting this fact?
4K, 8K, 16K, 24K Magic. I'm riding with my 0K professionally calibrated plasma until the wheels fall off. (Which I hope is a long time!) Who knows how many K's we'll be at by then? o_O

Reactions: Davenlr

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
Even on a 100" screen?
If you sit further than about 12' away, probably.
I think 8K is will only be noticeable in screens that are very large.
The resolution of the human eye is such that the screen must be very large indeed just to resolve the difference.
Even on a 85" QLED, 4K looks good but I think 8K would help.
Again, that depends on how close you are to the display.
Now wait until phones start using, 8K.
What would be the point? The popular phones are a bit more than 2K now.

·
Icon
1,279 Posts
If you sit further than about 12' away, probably.The resolution of the human eye is such that the screen must be very large indeed just to resolve the difference.Again, that depends on how close you are to the display.What would be the point? The popular phones are a bit more than 2K now.
About 12-14ft for the 85".
Closer be too big.

Lots of phones are 4K and pointless. Its marketing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
25,275 Posts
4K, 8K, 16K, 24K Magic. I'm riding with my 0K professionally calibrated plasma until the wheels fall off. (Which I hope is a long time!) Who knows how many K's we'll be at by then? o_O
Plasmas can be great, depends on which one you have. Some might beat the color of many leds and oleds on the market today. But they aren't better than a really good 4K tv today.

I get holding onto things if they are as good and such till they die, (I did the same with my last plans till earlier this year) but if you watch a lot of tv you might find you could pay for a new 4K tv with the electrical and heat savings you'd get switching to a high end oled today and moving on from your plasma. They are heat generators and completely inefficient by comparison with leds.

And the picture would actually be better too. If you get a good one. Not the cheapest one you can find.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
Closer be too big.
Rtings says 11.9' so you're right in there with them. Sony says 63" for a 4K 85" screen and that's just silly.

If we are all expected to transition to streaming, will the bandwidth allow the quadrupling of data required or will there be nasty compression artifacts that destroy the experience?

Lots of phones are 4K and pointless.
I count seven with greater than 3840x2160 pixel matrices and they are all Sony Xperias. What other 4K phones are you seeing?

·
Premium Member
25,275 Posts
Closer be too big.

Lots of phones are 4K and pointless. Its marketing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Not really. And the argument about pixel count being to good for the naked eye is a red herring on TVs and also can be for phones too. The gains you get having a 4K tv no matter what the distance can be seen because TVs are about moving pictures not static ones so what a human eye can see in a static imagine resolution wise is irrelevant. The quality of the tv processing and motion is far more important and the higher the pixel count with the better and better processors the better overall the picture.

So yes on a phone it's somewhat less relevant but since phones also show videos it can still be quite relevant.

·
Mentor
482 Posts
Plasmas can be great, depends on which one you have. Some might beat the color of many leds and oleds on the market today. But they aren't better than a really good 4K tv today.

I get holding onto things if they are as good and such till they die, (I did the same with my last plans till earlier this year) but if you watch a lot of tv you might find you could pay for a new 4K tv with the electrical and heat savings you'd get switching to a high end oled today and moving on from your plasma. They are heat generators and completely inefficient by comparison with leds.

And the picture would actually be better too. If you get a good one. Not the cheapest one you can find.
Agreed on all fronts. I've had this set since late 2016. I've helped set up a couple of 4K sets for my parents and friends, and even did a side-by-side of 'Avengers: Endgame'. As you mentioned, I see some advantages with my plasma, and some other picture features that are better enhanced in a 4K set. It's simply a needs vs. wants situation in our household, at the present.

Reactions: Rich

·
Icon
1,279 Posts
Agreed on all fronts. I've had this set since late 2016. I've helped set up a couple of 4K sets for my parents and friends, and even did a side-by-side of 'Avengers: Endgame'. As you mentioned, I see some advantages with my plasma, and some other picture features that are better enhanced in a 4K set. It's simply a needs vs. wants situation in our household, at the present.
I went from 42" Panasonic Plasmas to a 65" LG OLED. That plasma had an amazing picture.
Blue-ray movies are way better on my OLED and 4K is just even better. Just me and my avg eyes.
my Star Wars blu-rays looked amazing on the Panny. On my LG I can see the strings and tell things are cardboard cut outs.

·
Geek til I die
9,821 Posts
Just bought a 77 4K OLED. Right now, 8K is a fantasy. You are relying totally on the TV's ability to upscale. Some of the brands cannot even display a pixel accurate 8K picture with a computer 8K input... in other words, they are max 4K input and then upscale. What is the point? Currently the ONLY source for 8K would be your cell phone camera on high end phones or a high end computer video card. It is a gimmick right now. If you DO get an 8K tv, make sure it works with 4:4:4 video and does pixel to pixel.

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
If you sit further than about 12' away, probably.The resolution of the human eye is such that the screen must be very large indeed just to resolve the difference.Again, that depends on how close you are to the display.What would be the point? The popular phones are a bit more than 2K now.
I have to ask: Do you have a 4K television set? We put the distance argument to sleep a couple of years ago.
What's a bit more than 2K?

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts

I've had a discussion with him about this, he's hooked on that plasma. Just as I was.

Rich

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
Just bought a 77 4K OLED. Right now, 8K is a fantasy. You are relying totally on the TV's ability to upscale. Some of the brands cannot even display a pixel accurate 8K picture with a computer 8K input... in other words, they are max 4K input and then upscale. What is the point? Currently the ONLY source for 8K would be your cell phone camera on high end phones or a high end computer video card. It is a gimmick right now. If you DO get an 8K tv, make sure it works with 4:4:4 video and does pixel to pixel.
When the 4K TVs came out we saw posts that mirrored your present-day thoughts on 8K. Those folks were wrong, the 4K sets upscaled so well it's hard to tell the difference between upscaled 1080p and 4K in some instances, in most instances. I'd think an 8K set might upscale a bit better than a 4K set, perhaps a whole lot better. But, until someone gets one, we won't know. "Gimmick" was used back then, too. I don't hear or see anyone calling 4K sets "gimmicks" anymore. I bought all of my 4K sets because of their ability to upscale most content.

Rich

·
Icon
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When the 4K TVs came out we saw posts that mirrored your present-day thoughts on 8K. Those folks were wrong, the 4K sets upscaled so well it's hard to tell the difference between upscaled 1080p and 4K in some instances, in most instances. I'd think an 8K set might upscale a bit better than a 4K set, perhaps a whole lot better. But, until someone gets one, we won't know. "Gimmick" was used back then, too. I don't hear or see anyone calling 4K sets "gimmicks" anymore. I bought all of my 4K sets because of their ability to upscale most content.

Rich
When I started this tread was hoping for a quick answer but I was apparently wrong. You mean to tell me that nobody on Dbstalk owns a 8k tv?

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
When I started this tread was hoping for a quick answer but I was apparently wrong. You mean to tell me that nobody on Dbstalk owns a 8k tv?
Yup. Have not seen any posts about how well they work. I get your point. I'd like to know too.

Rich

·
Geek til I die
9,821 Posts
Have you seen such one ?
Haven't looked. When 4K came out, they were working on 4K Blu Rays, and 4K streaming was obtainable with current internet speeds. No one is planning on releasing a 8K BluRay, and there are no 8K streaming services. I know a lot of YouTube videos say they are 8K, but they show up as 4K when playing. Might work on the internal 8K app on the TV.
Check the TCL Series 6 8K being released, I believe they said they were made for computers. Price is 2X the 4K price. The difference between 1080p and 4K is quite noticeable at normal viewing distances, but paying 2X premium for something you have to be 3 feet away from to notice the difference would only make sense to me if I had an RTX3090 video card, or the TV had 4 PIPs where I could stream 4 football games at once in four 4K windows. They have been out for two years now. You should be able to find the reviews for the various models at rtings.com

1 - 20 of 124 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.